News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

2000 Mexico RamCharger

Started by rjtx667, July 26, 2012, 12:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

Also in case anyone was wondering... Hyundai vs RamCharger... Hyundai 0 Ramcharger 1

Someone rear ended me on the way home, I could not find any damage to mine. I think the hitch took most of it
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

better shot of the new axle.

I got it cleaned up some. Also got the rotors turned and ordered the new brake lines. I don't feel good about using JY brake lines  :icon_scratch:

just did not seem like a good idea.

Everything is looking great and I plan to start trying to swap stuff out tomorrow. Lets see how it goes.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

Dodgestrike

new axle looks good  :035:

and it wasn't a nice afternoon for the rice burner  :evil6:
MOPAR
Massively Over Powered Asphalt Remover.

crazzywolfie

that suck that you got rear ended but that axle is looking good.

SixGun

That naked girl knocked the f^ck out of that Hyundai.   :040:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

well I have to say its gone better than I thought so far, but then again I still have 2 major issues to resolve... well 3 really.

1) I need 2 more u bolts - about to drive to the parts store that has them in stock
2) apparently I have to bend my own brake line for the passenger side so need the line and a flaring tool for that
3) I need to swap the yokes between the axles and the nuts seem to be on there damn hard. The new one I will try again once I have wheels and weight on it. If that works then I will put wheels on the old and get some help to weigh it down.

Once I get all that done it should be as easy as bleeding the brakes and taking her for a spin.

Got some pics for everyone to enjoy... and I have to say I am damn impressed with those welders. The springs lined up perfect the first time!!!! not an issue at all. Shocks line up as well. Its going to take a bit of work but looks like I can keep the sway bar too.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

Ok so now the new axle is all bolted up and secure. I only have 4 lug nuts per side.

Side story. Somewhere between 2000 and 2005 they went from 1/2 wheel studs to 9/16 wheel studs and Orielly's wanted 4.99 a lug nut. I finally found 4 for 7.99. I will order the ones I want online then return these lol.

So anyways, its got 4 new ubolts and they are secured and look good. I was able to re-attach the sway bar as well.

The driver side brake line was pre-made and went together pretty good. The Passenger side I had to bend and flair myself. It looks ok, and I will take that since it was my first attempt. It leaked at first but appears to have stopped now that I tightened it up more.

I now need the parking brake cables, which will arrive tuesday, and the driveshaft. I am waiting for assistance on that as I need someone to press the brakes so I can break free the nut on the 9 1/4 to remove its yoke. I will then have to figure out how to do the same with the D44 that is now loose and not connected to anything  :icon_scratch:

Hopefully I will have it running under its own power again here real soon. Then we will see how far the speedometer is off again. Before it was 7% fast, now I am betting it will be slow by that much or more.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

so change of plans. After reading about what is involved in removing the pinion yoke and resetting pre load and all that I decided to try and find the yoke plate that goes on the new axle.

I went JY hunting today and found a yoke along with the ABS modules (now all I need is a good engine compartment wire harness)

The good news is the new yoke fits the axle, the bad news is apparently it was off a 2500 (was hard to tell as it was just sitting there alone, only one I found too). It has a 1 3/16 cap size not the 1 1/16 cap size of the driveshaft. Looking up parts it appears a 2005 1500 also uses a 1 1/16 cap for the rear u joint.

The good news is I just found a "combination" u joint that will do exactly what I want. I am going to pick it up tomorrow and we shall see how it goes. The new parking brake cables should be here tuesday as well.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

:happy1:  I can't wait to see the burnout video.   :laughing7:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

:laughing4:

I don't think my 5.2 will be able to handle that just yet, and while before this I probably could have power braked a good show that option is now gone. I have yet to see anyone power brake a truck with rear disk.

Now once I get to replace the cam and put some R/T heads on the sucker.... then we can talk  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

Dodgestrike

MOPAR
Massively Over Powered Asphalt Remover.

rjtx667

Quote from: Dodgestrike on September 10, 2012, 07:22:46 PM
never underestimate a 318  :035:

I did not underestimate it... I just said yet  :laughing7:

I figured up the gain to be about 10.4% and thats a good gain, but with the stock settings its not going to be enough yet.

I was able to get the ujoint put in, and I was able to confirm that my brake line is still leaking  :dontknow:

I am going to re-do the end of the brake line tonight to see if I can get it to stop.

I was able to take it for a quick spin around the block and it defiantly helped out the get up and go. Its now to a decent level, but not where I want it yet.... thats ok the cam and heads and exhaust and tune will get it the rest of the way  :dance: sadly those will most likely be next year as now I need to turn the focus back to painting the sucker.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

taz_man440

Quote from: rjtx667 on September 10, 2012, 07:43:37 AM
I have yet to see anyone power brake a truck with rear disk.

Guess you haven't driven a Hemi?  LOL My 06 Quad cab will roast em,  just too expensive to replace 20's....
2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

rjtx667

Quote from: taz_man440 on September 11, 2012, 07:55:04 PM
Quote from: rjtx667 on September 10, 2012, 07:43:37 AM
I have yet to see anyone power brake a truck with rear disk.

Guess you haven't driven a Hemi?  LOL My 06 Quad cab will roast em,  just too expensive to replace 20's....

I bet your hemi has enough hp and torque to just flat roast, it's also lighter in back than the ramcharger. Add to it that I have a nearly bone stock 5.2 doing 230 hp at best my only hope of breaking them loose is to power brake and I have never been successful at doing that with rear disk. growing up I power braked my old ramcharger all the time with drums
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

Well I got the brake leak fixed and got almost all the air out, I think I will need to bleed it once or twice more to get it all... when I was swapping it out it drained all the brake fluid out so lots of air to remove.

I can say it has some stopping power... put it in reverse and push the brakes down, it does not even try to budge, same with forward so thats a good thing. The petal is still a little soft, but I think I can get that out tomorrow.

I got a better test drive out of it today, figured out I have a vacuum leak (even found it) so I have to fix that tomorrow too. I did notice that when your taking a corner it now has no issues breaking free. We are not talking a bark but a full break loose, this is a far cry from what it used to be. I also noticed that while its still not a Hemi or street racer it now accelerates better and you can see the engine is happy by how much smoother it is running through the RPM range.

Now the other thing that shocked me today, I took it to a new shop to get a quote on a paint job for it. This is a local guy that has been in business for like 25 years. He looked it over and made some comment. Showed me his tools, his paint booth, his mixing room. He uses DeBeer paint which seems to be like best of the best stuff. He said he would work up a formal quote for me but that he is very meticulous about his paint jobs. He will remove the hood, doors, fenders, etc. The glass comes out, the interior comes out and he paints it all. the whole door, the whole body. He told me I could do as much of that as I wanted to reduce cost.

I asked when he could get it in and how long it would take, as those are 2 big concerns for me. He did not really answer when, just stated he has some insurance work he has to finish first. He said as far as time to do it, if he busted it out balls to the walls working like crazy it would take 2 1/2 months!!!!! So I guess that means 3-4 months of normal work? Now granted he said after a coat is applied they will let it cure in the sun for 2-4 days... He said he does 3 coats of primer, then base, then 3 -4 coats of paint, then 4 coats of clear. He then re-assembles it all and then wet sands and buffs it out. So if you figure 2-4 days between coats that can take a while, but man it seems like a lot of labor cost in there. I think he would do an excellent job on the paint, I am just not sure I would be able to afford him. Guess we will see when I get the quote from him.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins