News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RC to 92 RC

Started by rjtx667, July 26, 2012, 12:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

I remember my truck throwing random leaves at me when I first got it.  A lot of guys install clean-outs for this.  I saw a video on YouTube the other day.  Might give you an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly0FY4sIa94
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

yeah I am not wanting to do that, I want to put screen on the openings to keep it from coming in. I think that looks better.

Well it took me 2 trips to northern tool and 5 hours, but I got the passenger rear leaf springs out. Man that was a beating. :violent1:

I had to remove

the rear bumper
the receiver hitch
the skid plate
the gas tank

just so I could get at the lower rear hanger bolt that was stuck to the bushing. Once I finally got it out I started looking at all my parts to put it back in. I ordered parts from Jungle, and wanted to use his bushings.... new springs came with bushings  :angry4:

I did figure out a ball joint tool works pretty good to remove those bushings... about 15 min and I had the new "old" ones out and getting the new ones in.

I was looking at the shackle, its bushing was also toast. Jungle did not have one for it so he just sent me the bolt. So after I got the bushing out I was looked and figured I could make one fit. I pulled out my bench grinder and went to town making it smaller. Worked pretty good, or so it seems. I guess time will tell. So I have to get with Jim and order 2 more bushings so I can have all the parts for the other side.

I did find some bad news, after I dropped the tank I noticed a crack in it  :crybaby2:   I knew it had leaked but I figured it was an old hose not a crack in the tank. If I had know that I would not have sold my spare tank. Oh well I will patch it up then fill it with water and see how I did.

One thing that is interesting so far.. these springs are WAY bigger than the old ones. I should only get a 1" or so lift with my spring/ block combo but its looking like a whole lot more than that. I will get the passenger side put back together tomorrow and take some pics. right now it does not look a lot different from the earlier pics.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

Well did not get home early enough to make tons of nosy, so I had to settle working on something quieter. I choose the HVAC box since I went last week and bought some foam, I wanted to see how it would look.

It was already all apart, which is why I decided I needed new foam... it feel apart in my hand. I was not able to find any kits online so I went to a local ACE hardware and made my own. I first removed the old foam then the plastic backing it had. I then took this foam kit that was made to insulate the sides of window ac units. It worked perfect it was almost the right width and 2 parts made it so not much was cut off.

once cut to size I had to cut out the openings inside. I did this a little trial and error with my razor blade but it fit really good I think. I then took some 3M spray glue and soaked it down and put it on. I think its going to work really well, but won't know until its dry and I have the inside done.

As I have mentioned I have a new heater core and evap. So I have to prep them and get them installed, then I can button up the box and put the outside foam on and mount it back in the truck. Once thats done I will be able to get the dash and wire harness in as well.

Tomorrow I am going to work on finishing the suspension. I don't have the permeant bushings for the driver rear, but I will make due until they come in. Once the rear is done I want to replace the front springs and rear spring hanger with Jungle's setup. Hopefully it goes faster than the rear did.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

Finally got to work on the suspension again. I could not for the life of me get the driver rear front bolt out. I ended up having to cut the front of the spring off so I could get a cut off wheel in there to cut the bolt off. What a mess!!!! :angry4:

Finally get the new one in there and lower it down on the tires. I took this chance to swap from the Falcons which I am selling Ron to the BFG that I bought for the 92. After it was down on the wheels it was 44" to bottom of wheel well and the bottom of the rear window was at my chin!!!!!!!!! :confused2:

I was suppose to get a 2" lift not a 6" lift (or whatever size that is) I removed the 2" block that was under the springs and got it down to 41.5" at the wheel well. Its better, and my front should be about 39 or so once its done. It will squat at the front which I don't like but I won't know how bad it is until the front clip is back on.

I also got the passenger front swapped over and should get the driver front swapped tomorrow. I then need to finish the heater box and changing a few vacuum hoses on the engine and then I can put it back in. Maybe by the end of the month I can have the engine back in her.

I will get some pics tomorrow after the front is finished up.

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Can't wait to see some pics of the Jungle shackle kits installed.

So did you buy some lifted leaf springs?  What brand and lift did you use?

rjtx667

Quote from: SixGun on October 13, 2012, 10:09:16 PM
Can't wait to see some pics of the Jungle shackle kits installed.

So did you buy some lifted leaf springs?  What brand and lift did you use?

I actually don't have the Jungle shackles installed yet, I was tired of fighting with suspensions so I just wanted to get it rollin again. I drilled out the bracket holes to fit the 5/8 bolts and called it good for now. And now that I have a 2nd I am debating on if I need/ want it on this one since it won't be off roading.

I have a bad feeling that due to the higher than expected rear end that the front is going to be lower than I want, which means I will prob do the upgrades on here and then get some longer brackets/ shackles whatever to help raise the front up some.

The front springs are a ebay special. they were NOS for the Rodd Hall racing truck. they have 5 springs vs the normal 2 and are stiff as all get out, but they are good for 2+ inch of lift.

The rear are Rough Country 4.5" lift I think. I thought it was 4.5" of lift with the 3.75" block in place and that adding a 2" block would give me a 2.5 - 3" lift. Well it seems I have about that WITHOUT any block lol. I now have to get new rear u bolts so that the threads are long enough to deal with not having blocks.

I will take some pics tonight. I am still in shock since its a lot taller than what I had planned, then I went and bought another RC so more shock.

I do think the Rough country kit seemed to install pretty good. I was really glad that the studs on the front axle came out and went in pretty easy. Heck for that matter the whole front end came apart a lot better than the rear lol

I guess worse comes to worse I may remove those rear springs off this and get some new smaller ones for it and move those rough country to the 93.... but thats going to have to be a while... I don't want to fight rear leaf spring bolts for a very very long time. lol
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

80W150

Chuck

phillip637

1985 Ramcharger 4WD 318/727/np208. 4bbl cammed headers
1989 Ramcharger LE 4WD 318TBI/727/np241
1990 W250 318TBI/A518/np241
2000 Dakota 3.9 magnum 2WD

rjtx667

Played sick at work today so I could have some me time... me with my truck  :evil6:

got a good bit done. The front suspension is done. I have a few more things to do to the rear but it rolls again, just don't roll it far as the rear axle is not bolted down lol.

I then cleaned the "belly" where the drivetrain goes. That was a mess, but it looks good now. I threw a coat of etch primer on it along with  some undercoat black paint. The paint shop will do more and the stuff I did not get, but I had to get above the drivetrain.

I then got brave and said screw it, I want to have a great day. So it now has a drivetrain again. No wires, computer, radiator, core support, etc... BUT it HAS an engine!!! lol
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

the engine  :13: :dance:

not sure why the site put it upside down... but let me tell you it was a real PITA to do that all upside down  :icon_scratch:

It was a pita getting those engine mounts to like up for me, the engine was not 100% level when it was coming down, but I got it figured out.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

phillip637

1985 Ramcharger 4WD 318/727/np208. 4bbl cammed headers
1989 Ramcharger LE 4WD 318TBI/727/np241
1990 W250 318TBI/A518/np241
2000 Dakota 3.9 magnum 2WD

crazzywolfie

it is looking good. i like how you got the pulleys painted.

rjtx667

I painted the whole motor that color, granted it was not as clean as I wanted... but short or doing a rebuild and a bath it was not going to get that clean. So I did what I could to make it look better. I know the rebuild day will come, and then it will look much better.

I did not get a pic, but I also painted the headers a similar color with header paint. Its prob a good thing too, the factory black was all but gone and it looked like it was trying to start to rust in a few places. These are less than a year old!!! no wonder people complain about them. But since they were out I figured a new coat of paint would help.

I have to order a few additional parts... header gaskets and what not. I also need a trip to the JY to find some new front fenders, if I don't find any in good shape there then I will go after market. The previous ones were ok, but had some rust on them and some dents. I am betting I end up going after market  :dontknow:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

Going to get the core support and inner fenders tomorrow. I ordered up new header gaskets and bolts.

I have a busy weekend, but maybe I can get a lot done wed and thurs and get it running again real soon. I still need to figure out my fenders and work on the grille a lot more.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

According to my Dad, Sam still hasn't picked up those fenders yet.   :dontknow:

Of course, they are all the way down in Corpus Christi.  Bring the motor and I'll go get the fenders and we can meet somewhere in the middle.   :steeringwheel: