News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RC to 92 RC

Started by rjtx667, July 26, 2012, 12:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

:laughing4:

I did not like those fenders the first time, not sure this would be any better.

I am thinking I might go look in the JY for some, but if I don't see any I like I will just buy after market.... just worried the after market won't be as heavy duty... granted I have an after market hood for it too.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I saw a website with fiberglass front clips.  Could even get one with a scoop.

http://www.usbody.com/Pages_Trucks/72-Dodge.htm
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

Interesting, but expensive.

I am not looking to cut weight either, figure its not going on a diet anytime soon lol.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

well I got to spend some time with the old truck today... still trying to think of a name for it.

I tend to name 4x4's guys and 2wd's girls...  but not always. I need to name all my ramchargers  :icon_scratch:  have to think more on that later.

At any rate I had a good night. I got the core support on, though I am not sure I am happy with it yet... the bolts and rubber bushings are old and I would like new ones. The inner fenders are kind of on as well. I have the wire harness loosely placed and connected to the basics on the engine. Inside its connected at the firewall and steering column but not much else. I did throw the cluster in it to make sure that worked.

I also got the headers put on tonight, I have to say its much better not having 12 point bolts on there  :13:

I forgot to do the started while the driver side header was off, but since the shifter is still messed up that gave me a small break so I was able to install it.

I connected all the ground wires I could recall and the main engine and transmission sensors. I don't have the O2 sensor or a few other smaller ones, but 95% is not bad. I also do not have the sending unit or fuel pump yet either.

When I connected a battery and turned the key I got lights on the gauges. I did the key code check and all looked good so far.  :dance:

That means maybe this weekend I can work on the gas tank and lines. Gas and vacuum would be my last 2 biggest issues to start her up. I don't think I am going to put the whole dash in, or even the a/c box now that I look at it. I will have the wires mostly in place but leave it empty for paint. Once its running I will finish cleaning it up and trailer it over to the body shop... I don't see it road worthy for a bit longer yet.

I am not sure I will have time to get it all done this weekend, I have a lot going on, but it won't be long now until she can breath again. Lots of little things but its coming together.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Can't wait to see it this Saturday.  Looking good.   :thumbsup:

rjtx667

Not much else done, was a busy weekend. I did patch the gas tank on saturday. I have the charcoal canister mounted now so that is closer to being done.

I also tracked down the steering shaft and got it installed today (its a shaft from a 94 dakota or something I think, when I bought the new gear box off ebay the guy that sold me the box somehow rebuilt it with the 94+ connection end inside a 93 and older housing. Worked good when I found the end I needed at the JY).

I moved the 91 down to the 3rd car garage slot today, man that was a beating by myself, but I got it done. I left a trail of power steering fluid. I need to find that return hose here soon. I also need to replace the dip stick gasket as its now leaking too.

I want to go by the stealership this week and see if I can order a few parts for it mainly the gas fill hose and gasket for the gas tank. With those I will be able to put the tank back in place and maybe try and start it up this week. :dance:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

I got some parts for the tank to get re-installed, but it seems I missed a few hoses and 1 more rubber gasket.

Going to try and get the parts today and see if I can get the tank back in tonight.

I also swapped out the fuel pump unit with a newer one I had.

I also got some new hose for the fuel filter, and replaced the fuel filter while I was at it. I still need to get the engine fuel lines connected back up, but its coming along.

I would love to get it running by tomorrow night but that might be too ambitious, either way it won't be long now  :dance:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

so I am a little behind, but not much.

Last night I did indeed get the gas tank installed. I now see why people always say empty them before installing... but I was trying to be lazy as I did not want to pump all that gas out by hand. Not sure what would have been more work in the end :dontknow: but its up and installed.

I needed a few more parts before I could try turning it over, and the battery was not in good shape after sitting for months. I put it on a deep cycle charge and left it for a few days.

today after work I got new plug wires (they might be "cheap" 7mm but Oreilly offers lifetime warranty and its nice to carry them in with the cap and rotor and say replace these please), cap and rotor. I also got some collector bolts for the headers as the old ones were not great and who knows where. They only had 3 vs the 6 I needed, I called it good as I did not want to drive to another store.

I got everything buttoned up. I had to install the heater core out of the HVAC box as its not done yet, and I could not find a connector pipe to fit it. New plug wires and all installed, left the spark plugs as they got like maybe 600 miles on them.

The battery was still not in top shape, but with the Durango and some jumper cables it was ok. I had to find a few grounds that were loose but not too hard. I also found that my temp spot for the computer was not great, so fixed that... not sure what was going on but it seemed the computer was not getting a good ground or something, it was not always "coming up" meaning the check engine light would not always work. It was better after I adjusted it. I also had to disconnect the headlight switch as its not fully together and the head lights were on.

Once this was all fixed I could hear the fuel pump run when the key was turned and did it a few times to prime it up. turn the key and the started engaged but did not turn the engine  :icon_scratch:

I removed the starter and found I had covered the hole with paper towels when I had removed it  :icon_scratch: I don't recall that but apparently I did. This caused the starter to not sit right and not hit the gears. Once that was fixed and it was re-installed it was better. It turned over a few times as I was also still dealing with the computer issue. Once that was fixed I once again heard the fuel pump and then turned the key again.

It ran.... for about 2 seconds and I quickly turned it off. Sitting there I realized that I had ran a lot of exhaust systems, even had the muffler blow off the 92 before (same engine) and just had pipes.... but never before had I ran just headers, well the passenger side had muffler and cat it was just the driver side. Wow was that loud  :nono: I turned it off quickly because it was just past 8pm and I did not care to have my neighbors cursing my name

but it ran  :headbang: :laughing7:

I will get the other collector bolts tomorrow then I will be able to start it for longer. It still has a ways to go before it can roll under its own power. I have to finish the tcase support and skid plate, fix the tranny dip stick leak (and replace the lost fluid) and connect the gear shifter as well as the drive shafts.

I figure sometime saturday I will be able to drive it around just a little. I also need to replace the master cylinder because the 92 was different and had an electrical connector on it the 91 did not.

I am really excited to have some good progress on it, and that means it can go back to the body shop about the time the 2000 is finished up. I will have to trailer it over, as it has no dash or driver seat. Oh I need to fix the accelerator cable too lol forgot about that. yeah long list but its getting shorter.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

workgoats

Don't get too ambitious.  It will be a while before I can meet you anywhere since we are trying to get moved into new digs at work.  We had a dozen doors delivered yesterday.  They are 9 feet, 11 inches tall, solid oak doors and they mortised the hinges about 2 inches wrong. 

That's what we are dealing with in trying to get into the new buildings.

I wish I could say I am doing as well as you are on the RC in finishing the Willyreplica but I am getting a little progress from time to time.

rjtx667

Well I did not get much done this weekend.

Thursday I got the other muffler on it and fired it up, it ran real good until I looked at the back and saw it pouring gas out of the tank  :crybaby2:

Apparently my return fuel line was not connected as good as I thought. I did not feel like dropping the tank this weekend, so maybe this week.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

Finally got around to lowering the tank and working on the leaking fuel line. Was not near as hard as I thought.

Got it running (minus a dead battery). Even got the MP computer put in and it ran good (sounded good too).

I got a few short video's to share the sound, but I will have to convert them (and the HF) videos to upload them.

At least the day ended up not being a total loss.

Now I just have to finish tightening bolts on the tranny mount and put some driveshafts in... that and the rear axle u bolts  :laughing7:

then I can take it for a spin around the block.

Oh that also reminds me, I found some UOS (Used old stock  :laughing7:) Front fenders for it at a decent price. No dents and should not take much work to get them in good shape.

Not much more and its ready for the body shop when its warmer.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Quote from: rjtx667 on January 24, 2013, 04:34:40 PM
I got a few short video's to share the sound, but I will have to convert them (and the HF) videos to upload them.

Cool I thought you gave up on the HF videos.  Sure wish Will had made something with all the video and pics from last RJ.  Lots of good memories there.

rjtx667

Quote from: SixGun on January 24, 2013, 05:40:01 PM
Cool I thought you gave up on the HF videos.  Sure wish Will had made something with all the video and pics from last RJ.  Lots of good memories there.

Did not give up, just never started looking into it again  :dontknow:

I do have ALL of the video's from RJ, but Will asked me not to post much on RCC, but I guess I could dig through some and post here. Its like 30 gig of data  :tard:  I had to move them to my spare drive because it took up so much space lol
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

crazzywolfie

maybe you should just upload them to youtube. it would make sharing them easier if you chose to.