News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Willyreplica from the start...

Started by workgoats, July 26, 2012, 11:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

workgoats

Quote from: SixGun on October 13, 2012, 10:19:31 PM
Looks and sounds real good.  Are you going to box in the bed?

I plan to close in the back of the tub (cab) and build a short hardwood bed. It will probably be a while. I almost have the heater built. It will require moving the ignition module and the rest of the stuff on the firewall.

REB

Have you ever put the jeep on a scale, with all that steel its got to weight a lot. Cool project though, been thinking of cutting up my cherokee and doing a complete roll bar body. Saw one on the net and a jeep mag, and your blue looks just like that project, really like it too

workgoats

I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet. It "feels" like it is on the light side. But, anything would seem light after driving the red truck. The last time I weighed it (the red truck), it came up at 6,000#. I know the front is a little heavy with the 318/727 but there is not much on the rear. I will close the back of the cab and add a pickup bed but I have ideas to add a minimum of weight. I moved the cab back on the frame for a couple of reasons.  One, to give access to the back of the engine (distributor) and second, to move the weight toward the back as much as possible.

workgoats

I was happy with everything on the rig except the rear suspension.  I came close to ordering stuff for a 4 link but bank account said "NO!"

So, in the mean time I have found an economical add a leaf for the rear.  I think I will be going that way and add some gas shocks. 

I have a heater ready to install.  It is part Cherokee, part J-10, part 2x4 and I used a piece of an old real estate sign.  Problem is that I need to move the ignition module, voltage regulator, and some other stuff off the firewall. 

Now I need to start thinking about closing in the back of the cab.

rjtx667

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

workgoats

Quote from: rjtx667 on November 06, 2012, 09:12:30 AM
How is the accelerator pedal?

I've only started it twice since I came home but it is still good.  I found another pedal last night so I might change out the cable or the little keeper.  On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with zip ties...

SixGun

:laughing4:

Ryan I still think you should have let me pull it through the mudhole.  :laughing7:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

I was not going in there... I had enough issues driving a carb as it was... Me and Carb's don't seem to get along, guess thats why all mine are MPFI  :laughing7:

As I recall you decided to not go in the mud hole either. Too bad, would have been funny to see water at the top of your cab.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

workgoats

I think I should be glad I was not with you for this conversation.

rjtx667

You recall the "mud hole" that he wanted to drive through when you were driving? We went back there and tested it out with some rocks... You would need a very large snorkel.... and not just for the engine

:sign0135:

that was pretty much both of our instant response to the idea after that.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Yeah but that was the first hole.  Remember the big bowl with water just off the fenceline where the gas pedal went kaput.  I tried talking Yolanda into going through that one but she was worried that the Willy's might not have enough gas to pull me out if it went south.   :brushteeth:  BTW I'm still cleaning mud.

rjtx667

Quote from: SixGun on November 07, 2012, 10:38:07 PM
Yeah but that was the first hole.  Remember the big bowl with water just off the fenceline where the gas pedal went kaput.  I tried talking Yolanda into going through that one but she was worried that the Willy's might not have enough gas to pull me out if it went south.   :brushteeth:  BTW I'm still cleaning mud.

At least its not red clay... sounds like people are still working on that from RJ 3 years ago
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Ron, don't know if it's an option for you but Ryan's heater box is available.  Bolt pattern was completely different from the 76 RC.  It's still in one piece.   Ended up at Dave's for the 3rd time and got a match.  3rd time was a charm - whaddaya know.

workgoats

I built one using the Jeep box, cut down and without the a/c coil. It is almost too big. I will not get to work on it much for a while. There is too much going on.

workgoats

Here are a couple of short videos from our trip to Hidden Falls.  This was the rig's first test.  I didn't trust the tires to survive being aired down and there is still some suspension work to be done.  As well as finishing the back end of the truck.

vimeo.com/53674704
vimeo.com/53674705