News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Ram Jam 2013 Events and Activities

Started by ProjectPW, May 09, 2013, 05:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectPW

We need to have about 3-4 competitive events to let everyone see how their rigs stack up- events should be spit up between 2 days

#1: HILL CLIMB( day1) - I am thinking a timed run up the green miles 2 steepest sections- if you stop you are disqualified quickest to the top wins

#2  SLOW CRAWL (day 2)- Crawl down Green mile- slowest time wins- if you stop you are disqualified- we will do this

#3  OBSTACLE COURSE- NO POINTS FOR SPEED! we will need to pick a trail and mark off a bout 3 or 4 good obstacles with cones-   
   there will be an easy line and a hard line- more points for the harder line- no points for hitting a cone on an obstacle

#4 ??????- all input appreciated lets see what we can up with

non competitive events should include two organized trail rides for everyone to go out and play
Day 1- fence line run- all level 1-3 stuff with bypasses
Day 2- tower run-  for all those photo ops everyone loves-

Lets get some ideas out there and I will organize a schedule (yeah right...thats gonna work! :o)
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

ProjectM880

#1: HILL CLIMB( day1) - I am thinking a timed run up the green miles 2 steepest sections- if you stop you are disqualified quickest to the top wins
#2  SLOW CRAWL (day 2)- Crawl down Green mile- slowest time wins- if you stop you are disqualified- we will do this

We will need to have volunteers to times these events and keep the vehicles that have finished to move along so the next can move.

#3  OBSTACLE COURSE- NO POINTS FOR SPEED! we will need to pick a trail and mark off a bout 3 or 4 good obstacles with cones-   
   there will be an easy line and a hard line- more points for the harder line- no points for hitting a cone on an obstacle

I Like this idea. but it does need to be a timed event. The trick is to place cones in a way which cause the driver to get a faster time by actually goin slower. Meaning 10 sec Penalty for ever cone hit and no long straight aways. Now in saying this, the course needs to be setup for long wheel base vehicles. If its setup for short wheel base vehicles it gives them a significant advantage as far as turn radius is concerned. Meaning placing cones in a way that it takes a swb one turn but lwb a 3 point turn.

Making the obstacle course on a actual trail can help in the sense that the natural obstacles will force the driver to go slower and drive smarter.

I actaully like the idea of using "Bronco Buster" For this event. Its a tight slow trail that even if the contestent throttle up they wont pull much speed and bounce around more than anything.

workgoats

If we had a smooth enough space and enough water to make it really slick a barrel race might draw some people that might not enter some other events.

I have a pneumatic water pump if we could get permission to pull some water from some of the tanks.

rjtx667

I think as far as the quickest time event we need to be careful, don't want people getting hurt going to fast. maybe instead we have a closest to the "mean time"

example if we decide it should take 3:15 to get it done, then  the closest one to that time wins.

guess we could say like the price is right?

that would reduce some attempts at top speed, because you would be too far under the " mean time" and loose?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I don't want to be a wet blanket but outside of Dave getting hurt, there were a couple other speed based Red Bull & alcohol induced close calls.  Specifically a Jeep with no brakes rolling in front of Eric and a power sliding Jeep aimed at the spectators.  We were in a bad spot last time for what probably should have been a closed course event.  There was traffic passing on the main road we were using, kids walking around and the spectators too close to the action.  Just things to consider for the upcoming events. 
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on May 10, 2013, 12:05:17 AM
I don't want to be a wet blanket but outside of Dave getting hurt, there were a couple other speed based Red Bull & alcohol induced close calls.  Specifically a Jeep with no brakes rolling in front of Eric and a power sliding Jeep aimed at the spectators.  We were in a bad spot last time for what probably should have been a closed course event.  There was traffic passing on the main road we were using, kids walking around and the spectators too close to the action.  Just things to consider for the upcoming events.

Dont Worry Noah and I are are very awear of what went on during that time and are trying to think of ways to aviod it but still manage to have fun events.
The speed, alcohal, and open area are the three big areas we will address

rjtx667

Quote from: SixGun on May 10, 2013, 12:05:17 AM

thats why I said we might not want to do the quickest time but instead the closest to a set time... and that gives more control as to what the set time is people want to hit. I think it could be hard too, and would make it much more of a driver "sport" than a built truck sport.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

Toyradio

On some of these climbs and or decents the shorter based vehicles will be at a distinctive disadvantage, Whatever events are done need to be evenly based for all who may show up driving whatever. Or have classes for vehicle/tire size, ect. Just something to thing of. Hate to see someone get hurt or damage their vehicle trying to participate. I guess what I'm saying is something for everyone. :dontknow:

ProjectPW

I would also like to do a barrel run, location is the difficult part.... water on the course as Ron suggested would be a fantastic idea to keep dust down and slick it up a bit!

ProjectM880

Quote from: Toyradio on May 10, 2013, 11:08:52 AM
On some of these climbs and or decents the shorter based vehicles will be at a distinctive disadvantage, Whatever events are done need to be evenly based for all who may show up driving whatever. Or have classes for vehicle/tire size, ect. Just something to thing of. Hate to see someone get hurt or damage their vehicle trying to participate. I guess what I'm saying is something for everyone. :dontknow:

We can't do much about wheel base except making any turning obsticales even for both. On the trail SWB and LWB each have their own advantages and dissadvantages. I simply brought up wheel base because if we made a obsticale course with tight turns then i could kickass in the jeep making turns where as lwb vehicles would have to do several point turns.

We could do a stock- 33" Class and a 35"- unlimited class.

But keep in mind the more classes we make the more time its going to take. And in hine site it will divide up the group as a whole. So I will leave it to a vote. But I think there are way to many variations and ultimatley someone will whine about it not being fair .

For Example the trail Bronco Buster. We had a large number of different class vehicles on that trail. and I think they each had there own advantages and disadvantages. But they all made it with no problems.

Bronco buster is a level 4 trail-
Ernies ford- BB 390- 4spd- Locked Front and Rear 38" Boggers
Noahs PW- 300hp 318- 4spd- Locked Front and Rear 33" BFG
Wills RC- 360- 3 spd Auto- Locked Rear 36' Swamper SX
Erics Blue Jeep- Built 304- 4 spd- Locked Rear 33" Mud Kings
Daves Brown Jeep- 304- 4spd- Opened F/R - 35" BFG Kralwers
Ron's Creations- 318- 3 spd auto- Opened F/R- 32" All Terrians

We all Did that trail at pretty much the same pace with no issues. Now all are vehicles are very different in Power, Wheel Base, and Traction. But can anyone honestly say who would be fastest based on the stats of the truck? I don;t think so. I couldn;t even bet $100 on who would win.

Thats why im leary about classes. My jeep flew up some obstacles that ernies ford had trouble with. And Ernies ford also went through obstacles easly where i had problems with. And those are two completely different machines.

But here is another example- Dave's and My Jeep. Both CJ7 4x4 304 4spd Jeeps. His is has 6-8 inchs of lift and 35" BFG krawlers. Mine has 4" of lift and 33" Mud Kings. If we did Classes Him and I would be in two separate classes even though are Jeeps are al most the same. Now My jeep has a rear locker and his doesn;t. That right there made a differents of night and day between us. Dave would have to throttle up a ton more and bounce all over the place to get up obstacles where i was able to gear down and walk up them. But he also didn;t bottom out like i did on some obstacles. Just food for thought.

I think if we do all the events some will do well in some events and others will do well in the other events. I think it will equal out.

Quote from: ProjectPW on May 10, 2013, 12:18:06 PM
I would also like to do a barrel run, location is the difficult part.... water on the course as Ron suggested would be a fantastic idea to keep dust down and slick it up a bit!

Have we considered a Krawler Barrell Run? Same concept except in a area where there are obstacles we can set the cones/barrells on.

ProjectPW

I think all events will be held on level 5  trails  :thumbsup:

ProjectPW

Krawler barrel run- best idea ever!!! :13:

ProjectM880

Quote from: ProjectPW on May 10, 2013, 01:03:49 PM
I think all events will be held on level 5  trails  :thumbsup:
Indeed... That would make it very interesting

Quote from: ProjectPW on May 10, 2013, 01:05:44 PM
Krawler barrel run- best idea ever!!! :13:

I'm Serious, If we find a area that we do the traingle pattern with a cone on a obstacle or obstacle between cones I think it would be really fun!

SixGun

I think that there would be no way to make it even across the board.  I figure it's more about being together and having a ball while laughing our asses off.  I don't participate to win a plaque and don't expect to be top gun in any event.  Also, if an event is out of your comfort zone best to just leave it to the Dave and Ernest stunt team. No shame in that.

That being said, why not have teams just like you would in flag football.  Each team recovers their own and the last one in is the team's time.   I don't mind recovering Ernest.  I got you dude....   :lol_hitting:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on May 10, 2013, 03:44:13 PM
I think that there would be no way to make it even across the board.  I figure it's more about being together and having a ball while laughing our asses off.  I don't participate to win a plaque and don't expect to be top gun in any event.  Also, if an event is out of your comfort zone best to just leave it to the Dave and Ernest stunt team. No shame in that.

That being said, why not have teams just like you would in flag football.  Each team recovers their own and the last one in is the team's time.   I don't mind recovering Ernest.  I got you dude....   :lol_hitting:

It is difficult to make it even across the board.

I like the team idea or maybe pairs.

Teams of Two- One Big Vehicle, One Small ??

The first truck starts the timer and the last truck stops the timer. They would only be a strong as there weakest link. I.E. Tire size or wheel base. Kinda join the Classes together?

What do yall think?

Keep throwing ideas out there. We will figure it out sooner or later  :o