News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

I need ABS help with a Caravan

Started by workgoats, July 27, 2012, 08:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

workgoats

Family took wife's 02 Grand Caravan to Fort Worth. ABS light came on whIle traveling. It vibrates when breaking. I just got here tonight.

Is it possible to simply disable the ABS until we get the van home?

rjtx667

not sure on the 02, but my 91 RC has the abs module behind the glovebox. I have unplugged that before to disable it

I know on newer trucks it's under the hood by the master cylinder.

are there any codes on it?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

workgoats

When I got to where the van was we decided that my family is nuts. The problem is a warped front rotor. We will bring it home and I will fIx it.

DODGEBOYS

Quote from: workgoats on July 30, 2012, 12:44:06 AM
When I got to where the van was we decided that my family is nuts. The problem is a warped front rotor. We will bring it home and I will fIx it.

l was gonna say that after reading your first post
MOPAR TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lets see how much trouble we can get in with RCC

rjtx667

Not sure how old your rotor is, but I know an "old trick" to fix that is to keep re-toquring the lugs. It can slowly take out minor warps.

I used this before on a 95 dakota.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

workgoats

There is too much history here.  Wife ran brakes for two trips to Houston and back after hearing steel against steel.  Then she tells me about an hour before heading to Ram Jam.  I put pads on it knowing this would happen sooner or even sooner....

rjtx667

just have to love it when that happens. Once my sister did something like that, she was getting ready to go out of town and stopped by for dinner. It was pure metal on metal and later I found the rotors scored about 1/8 inch.

I had to do a quick brake job that night before she could leave.

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

DerangedMoose

Quote from: rjtx667 on July 30, 2012, 09:35:05 PM
just have to love it when that happens. Once my sister did something like that, she was getting ready to go out of town and stopped by for dinner. It was pure metal on metal and later I found the rotors scored about 1/8 inch.

I bought a mustang  that  had been metal to metal so long that the whole inner part of the rotor was gone not even the cooling fins in between the two was there  only the outer part of the rotor. ::)

workgoats

Quote from: DerangedMoose on September 17, 2012, 10:21:41 AM
Quote from: rjtx667 on July 30, 2012, 09:35:05 PM

I bought a mustang  that  had been metal to metal so long that the whole inner part of the rotor was gone not even the cooling fins in between the two was there  only the outer part of the rotor. ::)

I'm a little behind here lately because I've been without working internet.  However, I did help someone in our family a while back on a car thatthey bought that was missing one side of a rotor like that.  Scary thought is that car was onthe road in the town where we lived....

crazzywolfie

my brother-in-law did a brake job on a car like that once. i don't understand how you can't tell the pad has worn through your rotor and is working its way through the cooling fins. it has got to be making some nasty metal on met noises.