News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1976 Big Block RC build

Started by SixGun, July 27, 2012, 10:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

looks like you had better move them vehicles and get a larger ladder to take those things down. they definitely look like a safety issue to your vehicle and your in-laws house.

SixGun

The real kicker is that they are actually growing from over the fence. Empty lot that belongs to someone else.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

that would definitely suck. i don't know how things work down there but up here i am pretty sure you are responsible for anything that comes over your fence. ya it sucks but if you don't want your house or vehicles damaged or have to worry about trying to deal with insurance then it is well worth it. the people on the other property probably wouldn't give a crap as long as the tree won't fall on their house. if it was me i would be trying to take a bit more of that tree down before it comes down on its own but i could definitely almost see you needing specialty equipment or a professional to take some of it down.

SixGun

When's the last time you saw one if these? Flash back to the 70's.

I picked it up from a garage sale with all the connectors and instruction manual for $10.

Checks points, dwell, rpm, timing, charging system, ohms, electronic ignition, vacuum, fuel pump, and compression.

SixGun

Well, it finally happened. One of the huge trees overhanging my Mother-in-laws house fell over in last night's storm. Luckily it only snapped and laid over on her roof. No damage thank goodness and the RC is safe and sound. My brother in laws Malibu got a slight boo-boo on top of the fender and the fence got smooshed as the 400 lb trunk was heave ho'd over the fence.  Took a few tries and 6 grown men. 

The Mother in law put our a 911 on Facebook and that afternoon we all converged on it to git er done.  I took my chainsaw and the rest was brute strength. I should have taken the Ram and used the winch and straps I have. No one had rope so the first attempt was with an extension cord. It snapped in short order. 2nd and 3rd attempts were with a mini ratchet strap that failed miserably.  Last time took several tries with a 4 man tug-O-war. The tree won 3 times but after notching the truck with the chainsaw it relented. 

So here's the situation as we pull up. That's one of my nephew's with my wife Yolanda assessing the damage.  He's the baby of the bunch but man , he was like Paul Bunyan heaving the trucks and branches over the fence. 

SixGun

More pics

rjtx667

you had as much fun as me this weekend, I built fence and laid sod since my dad broke his heel and could not do any of it.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Lol, my honey-do list has me working on a cactus garden.  It was actually my idea to build a small one around a windmill I bought for an early bday gift to myself.  It has grown into a big corner of the yard and railroad ties.  It is 34' at the widest point.   :tard:

I started buying an old wagon wheel, a couple of railroad lanterns and building a yard cart out of some old wood.  Thinking about a little well and some rocks. Noah said I could take whatever I need for rocks Lol. Hopefully, I can find a few cactuses that I don't have already at his Dodge ranch.  My mother in law gave me some cactuses and palms.  We had a few already in pots that are outgrowing them. 

It's funny how these native plants are so expensive at the stores.  We just take a shovel in the truck and "shop" new subdivisions.  I figure they are just gonna bulldoze them anyways.

SixGun

After throwing the chain a couple of times, one of my brother in laws came up and supported the weight of the branches.

Last pic is 4 men playing tug-O-war with a tree. Notice the thin strap.

ProjectM880

That's a serious tree to move!  Glad no serious damage was done.

Does this mean you'll be bringing all the fire wood to hidden falls?  :great:

SixGun

Lol, I would need a serious trailer for all that wood.   :laughing7:

ProjectM880

Just load it all in the 76 rc and tow that to hidden falls. Then we will have fire wood and you can go wheeling ! :steeringwheel:

crazzywolfie

that sucks that the tree came down but at least no one got hurt. we had a lot of trees come down at the end of last month and it sucked. i even parked my truck on the front yard for about a week because i was a bit worried about the crack in the neighbors tree that had got worse under weight of ice. i still got to eventually talk to the new neighbor and see if they are willing to trim the tree some more. i would be willing to do it myself or get my friend to do it super cheap. i don't want the whole tree taken out but i would really like if the tree was trimmed so that there was less weight on the branches that would fall towards our house if they came down. they probably wouldn't hit the house but would most likely hit my truck

SixGun

Well the in-laws and 76 RC are safe from trees for the time being.  My in-laws neighbor finally got a professional tree trimming service to cut down the trees hanging over the fence.

rjtx667

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins