News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1976 Big Block RC build

Started by SixGun, July 27, 2012, 10:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ragman

Sweet project! I had the same problem trying to find a vent line that big. I found some at a farm supply store. You might try lookin at one of those type places. Good luck.
1978 W150 Club Cab "Spare Change" 360/D44/D60/435/205
1963 Dodge Dart 360/833/8.75 sure grip
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9 4x4

workgoats

I bought some hose from my NAPA store for the willyreplica but it was a straight piece of hose and it was real stiff.  It worked for me because I really didn't care where the filler ended up.

SixGun

:13:  I just placed on order yesterday morning from RockAuto and this afternoon it was here.  Wow, I just used ground shipping too.  So I checked my invoice that came with the order and  it was shipped from Sugarland, TX.  No wonder....

I don't know if you guys use RockAuto but they have several warehouses listed like A, B and C.  I got smart this time and bundled only what came from the same warehouse to save on shipping.  After you add to your cart, if you look at the part listings it will tell you if its from the same warehouse.  Pretty cool, I thought. Not only that but they send coupons after your first order.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

rock auto is good. i just wish there shipping to Canada was a bit cheaper so i wouldn't have to make such a big order from 1 place to save money.

the 2nd gen section of dodge chat has a whole thread for posting rock auto discount codes as people receive the newest ones with the most recent expiry date. those codes can be used by anyone.

rjtx667

Quote from: crazzywolfie on August 30, 2012, 09:38:52 PM
rock auto is good. i just wish there shipping to Canada was a bit cheaper so i wouldn't have to make such a big order from 1 place to save money.

the 2nd gen section of dodge chat has a whole thread for posting rock auto discount codes as people receive the newest ones with the most recent expiry date. those codes can be used by anyone.

I wish their shipping in the USA was cheaper. Sometimes they are $5 cheaper on the part but cost $8-10 to ship. So all said and done cheaper to go get it locally. I have also started using Amazon for some items, when you have the prime account with free 2 day shipping it can save you a lot.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

parts in general seem like they are cheaper in the USA. almost times your prices by 2 and that is about what i would pay here. a good example is a power steering box for my 81. locally a rebuilt power steering box goes for $300-$400 plus a $200-$300 core plus tax. so i would have to walk into the parts store with anywhere from $565-$791 unless i was to drag my core in. rock auto has them for $110 plus $100 core plus shipping and taxes it comes about $300.

SixGun

Damn, I bought one at the JY with brand new hoses for $25.  Of course, I had to pull it myself though. :tongue3:

SixGun

Well got a visit from the axle fairy this weekend.  Set of 92 axles from Ryan (rjtx) came in on the workgoats express.  Ron brought them in along with some seats from Ryan as well.  Big thanks to Ron and Ryan.  :dance:

Gonna take the baton from Ron and run some fenders and a hood down to Sam in Corpus Christi.  Ron and I had a good visit and even had some play time in the local pick-n-pull to get him some springs for his Willy's project.  I'll let him tell you about that though.  Ron looked like a kid in a candy store with all those Jeeps and trucks out there.  LOL 

I was trying to figure out what this one piece was for and where it goes.  I've included 2 pics of it.  I don't see it in the FSM.  It was in the back of the truck with the gas tank so I was thinking it protected the filler hose or something.  Whoever can tell me and show me where it goes gets some karma, if we have that here.  I can't find any fuel line in 1/2" ID.  I even checked a couple of tractor supply places.  Will heater hose hold up for a vent line from the tank to the filler tube?   :icon_scratch:

I mentioned that broken heater box before and here's the pic.

crazzywolfie

i think heater hose should be ok. it's mainly just there as a vent when you are adding gas. its not like you are pumping gas through it.

that heater box looks like it could be repaired with not too much work. a little bit of sheet metal and the thing will be as good as new unless you can find a new one.

rjtx667

I have a spare heater box out of the 91 too, should have sent it down with Ron...not sure it would fit though.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Quote from: crazzywolfie on September 03, 2012, 03:32:37 AM
that heater box looks like it could be repaired with not too much work. a little bit of sheet metal and the thing will be as good as new unless you can find a new one.

Actually, the box had some tin like you would buy at the hardware store kinda fabbed to cover the hole but it was ugly.  Would rather just replace it if the opportunity presents itself.  Danger Dave has a couple of 70's era RC's that he was gonna scrap.  Said I could get one out of either but with the hours he puts in, he's a hard man to get ahold of.  We'll meet up sometime here in the near future I'm sure.  I think Dave is making up for lost time right now with the hours he puts in.

I'm in Corpus Christi, TX right now and going through the storage sheds.  Have a lot to load up.  Haven't heard from Sam yet sorry to say.  One disappointment is that the tranny I was counting on is not here.  Oh well,  There is a complete 727 from a 73 Cuda with a 440 that would need a rebuild that I might be able to trade or sell to help towards the build.  The 383 is here with everything just about from what I can tell.  Infested with giant-ass cockroaches that we spent the morning today killing. LOL  They were crawling out of the boxes, pistons and cylinder heads ....YUCK!  Looks like more surface rust than I counted on so a hot tank is in order.  Will need a carb, alternator, fuel pump, oil pump and water pump. All those were used on a 400 build that I lost in a divorce years ago.  Got lucky and found a distributer but not sure if it's from a B or RB motor yet.  I think both will fit if memory serves me but it will be taller.   I did find a 3 core radiator from a B body that I might be able to use with some repair.  I have a water pump housing from a 440 block.  Are those interchangeable with the 383 ?? Anyone know for sure.  Took some pics of the cache but won't be able to post till I get back home in a couple of days.  Didn't have the oil pan but I ordered a truck one already with the pickup tube and dipstick. Couple of neat items found: 73 Cuda AT long console, 68 383 pie pan air cleaner, 71 Plymouth GTX steering wheel, and 73 Camaro round tail lights. Hmmm.... trade items.   :laughing7:

SixGun

oops... hit quote instead of modify.  :tongue3:

crazzywolfie

can't you just compare the heater box in your 91 with the one int the 76. i know if you got a newer heater box with a/c you would most likely have to cut a hole in the firewall for the heater hoses but it looks very similar to the hole the is already there. might have to do a bit of trimming.
here's what my 81's heat box looks like under the hood with no a/c

here's what my 93's heater box looks like under the hood with a/c

rjtx667

the 91 has A/C, so perhaps I worded it wrong, you can use it if you want to make it fit  :violent1:

Here is a pic that I was able to find of the 91 firewall.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

:sunny:  One hot mutha in Corpus Christi. 

Here's a few pics of what I found.