News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1976 Big Block RC build

Started by SixGun, July 27, 2012, 10:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

*assemby not included  :laughing7:

Now the real fun begins getting it all put back together
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

James @ Brutal OffRoad gave me a recommendation for the short block work.  It will need some mill work done with the rust that accumulated over the years sitting.  Valve job will be in order to get it ready for lower octane unleaded gas.  The ball is rolling though.   :toothy9:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

Rolling is good, seems most of my projects the ball has stopped right now due to the wait at the body shop  :angry5:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

Dodgestrike

I wish I had that part stack , I only have a small box and I need a transmision... I love that steering wheel btw :headbang:
MOPAR
Massively Over Powered Asphalt Remover.

SixGun

Quote from: Dodgestrike on September 07, 2012, 04:39:21 PM
I wish I had that part stack , I only have a small box and I need a transmision... I love that steering wheel btw :headbang:

Thanks Buddy!!  Lots of good memories stacked there.   :laughing7:

80W150

Great buy for 3 bills man. Great starting point. Seems like you've got good support down there all the way around. Good luck and keep the pics comin'.
Chuck

SixGun

Thanks,  I've been gathering some parts for this build right now.  Danger Dave came through with a trans for BB 4x4 that will need a rebuild and a few other odds and ends.  I tried to get his heater box out of one of his RC's but had some stubborn bolts that didn't want to give up.   :angry4:  Started to get dark on us and figured to try it again on another day.  May have to do some cutting.   :evil6: 

A friend of the family bought an old country store with some new in the box auto parts but no part # books.   I was able to pick up a couple of back shocks and some spare fuel filters for a cheap price.  Had a ton of Wix air filters and oil filters but without a book it was a crap shoot.  Looked them up online and on my next trip out there hopefully I can score some filters.  Same with belts, ujoints and seals.  Felt like I was in that show American Pickers.

SixGun

What do you guys think about using this for the 383 motor.  Keep in mind that it is square bore, remanned, and comes with a tuning DVD. :dontknow:

http://www.summitracing.com/compare

rjtx667

Quote from: SixGun on January 23, 2013, 08:17:28 PM
What do you guys think about using this for the 383 motor.  Keep in mind that it is square bore, remanned, and comes with a tuning DVD. :dontknow:

http://www.summitracing.com/compare

does not show us what your looking at... try again  :icon_scratch: :dontknow:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

crazzywolfie

well it looks like it is in the right cfm ball park but i am not so sure of the carb. i have not really seen any that looked quite like that. i have no idea how good it would work or keep tune. i also not sure if it would work very good off road or not.

rjtx667

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-tech/155765-sumit-carb-holley-carb-what-you-guys-think.html

seems to be an old Holley design that was improved upon. might check fuel line routing and note it is a double pumper... and that's about all I got on carbs, even that is after reading other postings lol

I like mine fuel injection  :laughing7:

get you a mega squirt and a tbi  :evil6:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

This puppy is gonna be carb because of simplicity of design and cost.  I wonder if double pump would help with off-road or hurt.  I know about off camber issues with carbs but the new off road carbs are expensive.  Guys have been using carbs on trucks forever so can't be terrible just need to learn the limitations and technique for working around them.  I am using the factory intake with spread bore design and some people swear by adapters and others hate them.  I could swear that the fuel lines were interchangeable on Holleys from side to side.  I need to do some more research on them to be comfortable.   Hopefully I can get one on sale later if I'm still interested.  TBI conversions on BB's are money gobblers at best and tuneability issues abound.  No thanks - I like simple.

crazzywolfie

i don't think you would need a double pumper. the carb you linked to i think only has 1 accelerator pump.
* Dual 30cc accelerator pumps (mechanical secondary models only), and annular boosters

learning new thing all the time around this place.

ProjectM880