News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Wanting to carb my TBI 360.....

Started by 89PWRRAM, September 05, 2013, 11:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

89PWRRAM

What up. Having some issues with my TBI setup. I think it's wiring, everything is almost 25 years old. In case i cant get the TBI working i'm really wanting to go to a simple fuel setup since i dont drive the truck much and as of this January i dont have to emissions test anymore. I just woud like to verify...would an Edelbrock #3776 intake work on my 1989 360 ?  I know it would on 360's that came with carbs from factory. Just not sure on TBI engine's. I plan on useing a MSD 6 ignition box and distributer.
1989 W150, 360cid, 38" Swamper SSR's,1Ton Driveline. Crossover Steering, Rear Shackle and U-Bolt Flip.

crazzywolfie

i am pretty sure the intake would work on any LA engine.

rjtx667

whats up with the TBI issue?

I hate to see a TBI get swapped for a carb. I have a MT2500 I can let you borrow that could help you track stuff down. It allows you to read codes and do extra test.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

89PWRRAM

What up. I'm gonna check a few things myself and perhaps i'll get lucky. The inline MSD pump i installed after the fuel cell is about 4 years old. I'm gonna but a inline fuel pressure gauge and see what's happening. If no go go go i will tow it to a friends mechanic shop. If still no go go go. Then i'm sure they can help me with carb conversion. I've never used a meter  :dontknow:   but thanks for the offer   :13: I've changed the various sensors and the pressure regulater already. I'm pretty sure its a fuel problem and i'm not giving up.
1989 W150, 360cid, 38" Swamper SSR's,1Ton Driveline. Crossover Steering, Rear Shackle and U-Bolt Flip.

SixGun

At least see what codes it is throwing out.  Real easy to do.  What is the truck doing ?  I agree that a non-working TBI setup is a pain BUT when running correctly, it is dependable and makes for some easy startups.  I had what appeared to be a TBI issue recently and turned out to be the O2 sensor in the downpipe.  I discovered that they are very sensitive and brittle.   Certain chemicals and fuel additives can affect them.  My 02 was very new and the porcelin inside shattered possibly from additive overload.  A $60 mistake.  The truck was running very rich and coating the spark plugs and 02 with a lot of carbon.  My 2 cents would be to fix the TBI.  Cheaper to keep her IMO.  Good luck with either way you go.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

89PWRRAM

What up SixGun. When started the truck idles up then slowly idles down. Seems to idle fine. Occasionaly the idle will drop down kinda like a stumble then shoot back up. When i put in into gear its almost like the idle isnt quite high enough. Sometimes it will die out in gear. I can check that once i get my tach hooked back up. I only have about 300 miles on this rebuilt long block. I had asked the shop that did the install if i would be able to get away with any kinda slight RV cam in it. I was told yes. So he put in a Melling MC1263. Google it and check out the specs. I have know idea the specs on the stock factory cam so maybe you will know if the Melling should work ok. I basically two footed the brake/gas to keep it running. Jumped on the highway and seemed to be doing ok. Then the truck kinda stumbled/hickupped then kept going another half mile then just cut out. I drifted over. It fired back up. Took off for another mile then it cut out again. I cranked and cranked till the battery about died but it finally fired up and i turned around and made it home. I had just put 15 gallons of fresh SuperUnleaded in the fuel cell. I think i will check my fuel cell lines and fittings. Make sure there are know pinholes sucking air. Perhaps change the fuel pump just to rule that out. I'm not sure on the actual process of checking the codes with the ignition switch???? I may just change the O2 sensor also as i'm not sure how old it is.

SixGun

I had something similar happen on my new V6 rebuild.  I played with the idle and that screwed it up.  It would die out after a good drive after  it warmed up.   My best bet would be on the ISC actuator.  There is a specific procedure to adjust it.  According to the FSM, you never want to adjust the idle by just turning the screw.

1) Let it warm up for a couple of minutes
2) Shut off vehicle and allow 60 seconds for the actuator to extend completely.
3) Disconnect the wiring connector to the coolant temperature sensor on the drivers side of the block.
4) Disconnect the wiring connector to the idle speed control actuator.
5) Hook up a tachometer to the motor.
6) Start the vehicle.
7) Adjust the extension screw on the actuator shaft until the rpm is between 2650-2750 rpm for a motor with less than 1000 miles or between 2750-2850 rpm if more than 1000 miles on the motor.
8) Shut off vehicle.
9) Reconnect the ISC actuator connector.
10) Reconnect the Coolant Temperature Sensor connector.

I would chock the wheels and put on the emergency brake just in case.  It will rev pretty high while you're adjusting it.  Hopefully, this will get you up and running and best of all it's free.

crazzywolfie

i wonder if it would have something to do with the Distributor Pickup Coil?

workgoats

The throttle position sensor can be the source of a lot of idle problems.  There should be a procedure to check them but they are not overly expensive.

89PWRRAM

Appreciate the info about adjusting the idle. I need to hook my tach back up to do this. I've seen how to do this in my Haynes book but I had to go get my manuel to verify something. During the procedure after the engine is (37)warmed up a few minutes. And after you (38)disconnect the idle speed control actuater and the coolant temp sender. (39)Hook up a tach. It states: (40)Start the engine. Adjust the extension screw on the ISC actuator until RPM correct. (41)Reconnect the ISC actuator electrical connection. (42)Reconnect the coolant temperature sensor.  Now heres my problem.....my book doesnt say after you adjust the screw on ISC to "Turn Off Engine", then do steps 41 and 42. I did not mention this before, but i did this procedure by my book without the tach but just listening to engine RPM just to raise it some before trying road trip. I adjusted the screw while the engine was high revving. Then reconnected the ISC then the temp sensor. My idle dropped down after that. Then i turned off engine at some point. Also before my engine rebuild i had bought a ISC thru Oriellys just to change it so i wouldnt have to worry about old stuff on my engine. Not sure the brand of it. Should i just use Dealership stuff when it comes to the ISC actuator and the TPS ????

SixGun

I bought a BWD actuator and it works fine.  As far as the instructions, I wrote it as it states in a 91 service manual.  The only difference I saw with Wolfies and mine was that his says to leave it in nuetral.  Use the tach - that may be all you need.

crazzywolfie

i think having the truck in neutral might make a bit of difference since i don't think the transmission pumps any fluid in park.

89PWRRAM

What up. Really appreciate yall's 2cents guys. My engine is rebuilt. My tranny also. When i deep sixed the engine water also got in that vent hole at the top of the case behind the torque converter. I removed the tranny while my truck was still chained down on Skip's trailer. Thanks again Skip for being there when i needed help  :thumbsup:  I carried the loose tranny into a shop and had them plug the factory design vent hole and then tap the top outer case and i now have a long vent line. Kinda like the axle set ups. My plan is to do the following. Now it might seem kinda wastefull i know to buy some things to replace that i'm not even sure will work but maybe i'll get lucky. Shopping list........ New MSD fuel pump from Jegs catalog that will replace the old one, throttle position sensor from dealership, replace the Auto Shut Down relay, New O2 sensor. I will then fire up truck and get my tach working again and then check my idle RPM. That's about all i know to do. After that if it still aint right i'll be taking it to a friend of Skip's shop. I really look forward to this thing running again as it seems i aint been wheelin in years..lol