News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Fender liners? IN, or OUT?

Started by The War Wagon, December 04, 2013, 05:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The War Wagon

Mine are currently OUT (front).  Anyone run theirs that way?  IF so;

- Where (terrain, climate)
- Conditions (mud, rock, sand, dirt, snow, water)
- Experience (good, bad, indifferent)
- Issues to watch for (what NOT to get water/mud/rock/snow in - how to PROPERLY clean up AFTERWARDS)

And if you prefer fender liners in, where do you find some aftermarket/repro liners?!?!?  :confused2:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

fal308

I've heard of people using rubber sheeting. Cut it to shape and install.
Just an example of what I'm talking about http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/

The War Wagon

I'm DEFINITELY looking at going that route - I think you could even pop rivet the edges in place, attaching them even to what remains on the old liner material (I should point out, that I HAD, good liners... until my mechanic tore 'em out, trying to get to various pieces of the engine during the buildup, so the remnant area should still be strong enough to hold some new material riveted to it... I think  :icon_scratch:  Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong).

I'm thinking we'll do the header install FIRST though... while they're easy to access.  Since I have my Jeep for wintertime excursions, and the headers wouldn't go on until March at the earliest, running around on sunny days without liners shouldn't hurt it in the short term, I would think.

SixGun

I took mine out when the body lift went on.  Love the easy access and it keeps the motor cool however, this is what happens when truck meets the mud monster.  Hard to remove burned on mud too.   :brushteeth:

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

The War Wagon

Quote from: SixGun on December 05, 2013, 02:14:15 PM
I took mine out when the body lift went on.  Love the easy access and it keeps the motor cool however, this is what happens when truck meets the mud monster.  Hard to remove burned on mud too.   :brushteeth:

That's EXACTLY what I'm afraid of!!!  :sign0137:

crazzywolfie

i don't think you would get such a mud mess if you were running electric fans but it is probably a good idea to make up some custom mats.

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on December 05, 2013, 04:41:21 PM
i don't think you would get such a mud mess if you were running electric fans but it is probably a good idea to make up some custom mats.

NO electric fans... yet...  :notworthy:

fal308

Mud will get in there no just about matter what. My engine compartment looked like that in my '99 1500 after a day of playing in the mud, with inner fenders.

crazzywolfie

Quote from: The War Wagon on December 05, 2013, 09:28:05 PM
NO electric fans... yet...  :notworthy:
electric fans are not that hard to install. i think without the mechanical fan mud would not be splashing around everywhere.

scratchinfotraction

Quote from: SixGun on December 05, 2013, 02:14:15 PM
I took mine out when the body lift went on.  Love the easy access and I t keeps the motor cool however, this is what happens when truck meets the mud monster.  Hard to remove burned on mud too.   :brushteeth:

first thing here is to ditch the open air filter if running no inner fenders.  I used a older unsilenced air cleaner on mine, off of my 68dart.  the bottom was flat and the filter sat on it, the lid was like a bell a little bit bigger than the fitler base,sat down over it and was open on the bottom , this made a nice shield all the way around the paper filter.

I have gotten one like yours wet and sucked the paper filter flat crushing it choking the engine enuff it would not run..well it was flooded with water too but you get my point... not good.

you could tack a piece of sheet metal around the lid you have to make a splash shield for it to save some coin.

my son puts a deep water snorkel made out of pvc pipe on his and does not even run a filter..just a p-trap up top.  must be a jeep thing?

other than looks of a dirty engine and your eyes getting full of dirt working from below on it...wont hurt it at all..my mud truck rarly got washed. only when working on them and then just that area got cleaned.

SixGun

After that outing, I learned my lesson and put on a 68 pie pan air cleaner.  Fit the TBI perfectly and worked well at keeping water out.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

80W150

Yup, that's the unsilenced one that scratchin was talking about. I have the same one.

Personally, I'd run the liners Bob. It helps keep some crap out of the engine bay. With the right headers engine bay temps won't be much of a issue. If you haven't already got them got something that's ceramic coated. If you already have headers and they aren't coated send them to jet-hot. They get coated inside and out. Don't discolor, chip, flake, rust AND it puts exhaust gas heat where it needs to go, out the pipes.
Chuck

The War Wagon

Quote from: 80W150 on December 22, 2013, 07:45:47 PMIf you haven't already got them got something that's ceramic coated. If you already have headers and they aren't coated send them to jet-hot. They get coated inside and out. Don't discolor, chip, flake, rust AND it puts exhaust gas heat where it needs to go, out the pipes.

I don't have 'em yet, but I spoke with my mine in Oregon, who cerakoted my AR15 a couple of years ago; he CAN do the work, and has done a set of headers for a local dirt track racer - they worked out well.

He seems to be able to do decent work.  8)