News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

What grade of oil?

Started by joemouton, January 01, 2014, 03:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemouton

Okay as I said I would be asking alot of question. My RC has finally made it to Texas. So I noticed that it most likely needs an oil change. Now because the seller isn't speaking to me anymore I guess, I was wondering if some of you might have a suggestion on what oil I should use. I use full synthetic in my Titan but it is a 2010. Should I use high mileage, and if so the what grade? 10w-40? I have tried to google it and nothing. Thanks in advance for the help.
84 RC AW100 360/727 4wd

crazzywolfie

i just use a good quality engine oil. right now my 81 has shell 15w40 in it to clean things out. then after that i plan on running shell 5w30. you could really run anythings as long as you get a good quality brand name oil. if you live somewhere warm you could run 15w40 all year round. i have heard of some people doing so and there engines were very clean when they go to rebuild it.

scratchinfotraction

I run napa house brand 10w-30 in my 85 stepside with a 91 roller cam 318 engine. same oil for my 88-440 truck = 78-440 engine.

I use the napa gold filters or a wix 51515 filter. ( napa gold filter is made by wix)

I also run a napa house brand straight 30 weight oil in them during the dogdays of summer here in Fl.

I am switching to the full synth royal purple oil in the engine/manual trans/differential this yr to see if the hype on RP synth oil is as good as the clame.

FYI... the flat tappet cams need the extra zinc additive or a good high zinc oil. roller cams can use a regular multi grade oil as zinc is not needed as much.

not sure what yr Rc you have and if it is a flat cam or roller cam engine, as this could make a difference in oil needs.

crazzywolfie

i would not run good synthetic oil in a carbed engine. it is not really worth it. in a fuel injected engine where not so much fuel is working its way into the oil it would probably be fine and you would be good for the 10-15,000mile oil change interval but a carbed engine will most likely need the 5000mile oil change whether or not you use synthetic.

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on January 01, 2014, 06:45:18 PM
i would not run good synthetic oil in a carbed engine. it is not really worth it. in a fuel injected engine where not so much fuel is working its way into the oil it would probably be fine and you would be good for the 10-15,000mile oil change interval but a carbed engine will most likely need the 5000mile oil change whether or not you use synthetic.

If synthetic oil WASN'T around when your truck was built, DON'T run it!  When Mobil1 synthetic FIRST came on the scene (ca. 1989 or so), I ran ONE change of it in my '79 Bronco - I thought it was going to shake itself apart!!!  :o

I'm just running Valvoline 10w-30 in my '92 at this point.  MIGHT go to a 10w-40 for the summer, as it has 135,000 miles on it.  For PRE-Magnum engines, I'd definitely run standard weight oils in it.  Maybe the "high mileage" oils if you like, but synthetics will NOT be your friend in older, un-re-built engines.  Maybe some Slick50 (I still swear by it in OLDER engines), but that's about it.
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

crazzywolfie

i plan on running royal purple in my 93 eventually. got the oil waiting in the basement. i just need to clean the engine out with 15w40 and rinse it out with some normal 5w30 and then i will switch to royal purple. i would not run "high mileage" oil in a engine unless it was worn right out to the point that you should be rebuilding it.

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on January 01, 2014, 08:59:15 PMi would not run "high mileage" oil in a engine unless it was worn right out to the point that you should be rebuilding it.

I ran 20w50 as my "high mileage oil" in the Bronco!  :tongue3:

Always ran Quaker State in my Grand Marquis.  Ran the high mileage stuff in it, and couldn't tell the difference.  10-40 did fine most of the time.
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!