News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Gas mixing with oil?

Started by Unfortunate_Sam, January 01, 2014, 06:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unfortunate_Sam

So i have gas mixing with my oil all of a sudden in my ramchargers 318?
1975 RC 318/727/203 w part time/ D 44
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10/NV4500/NP241 HD/PoSi-Lok

crazzywolfie

is the vent line on the gas tank plugged? you can usually tell when you open the gas cap and you hear air rushing in or out of the tank.

Unfortunate_Sam

Not my gas tank, my engine oil is like 40% gas or something i drained like 2 and a half gallons of it out of the oil pan just now and my motor is devoid of oil any thicker than water.

crazzywolfie

i guess i should have explained things better. if the gas tank can not breath which is usually done through the gas tank vent line which hooks up to the charcoal canister the pressure in the gas tank will force gas into the carb which will find its way into the engine. i had that happen to my 81. there is also the possibility that your fuel pump diaphragm broke and it is now pumping fuel into the oil.

Unfortunate_Sam

Hmmm i think it might be i removed my charcoal canister and i think i plugged the hole when i went through my fuel system last year. Im gonna check my floats in the carb in the morning ill check that out as well if my floats arent causing it to flood.

crazzywolfie

ya. if you did plug the vent line that run to the charcoal canister then you most likely have found your issue. it will usually only force gas into the carb on warmer days when the tank is under pressure. i had my engine pretty much filled full of gas. think i drained 8 or 9 quarts of oil/gas out of the engine plus had to remove all the spark plugs to get all the gas out of the cylinders. now i don't know if it was the gas or not but i have checked compression a couple of times since that happened to my 81 and every time i see 150-170psi of pressure across the cylinders with very little to no increase when i add a bit of oil and do a wet test. 

Unfortunate_Sam

Well my secondary float was was to high so i adjusted and now im just letting it run. I listened to my gas tank? And i could hear a gentle woosh like a sea shell so?

crazzywolfie

i don't know what to say about the sounds coming from the fuel tank. have you tried opening the gas tank? if there is a rush of are in or out of the tank the vent is most likely clogged

Unfortunate_Sam

Went underneath and checked that hole its still open and there was no suction at the gas cap. And i go back to texas tommorow but the truck is running great for the time no more time to see if this is still gonna persist as an issue.

crazzywolfie

if the vent line is fine then i would probably guess your fuel pump might be bad.

scratchinfotraction

look the fuel pump over good, it has a weep hole on the top side of the pump arm that will leak if it ruptures... it could pump gas into the crank case.

I dont ever recall one doing that with a bad pump on a SB, but have had them leak gas from weep hole in pump.

I have had 2 BB engine go out with fuel pump dumping fuel into the cranckcase...dont take long to spin bearings with gas in the oil so might do another oil change before a long trip if possiable.

good luck on the ride home.