News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Ebay, at times, can be sweet

Started by 80W150, January 20, 2014, 07:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

80W150

We all know how bidding on stuff can go. At times you win, other times know when to walk away. People get caught up in bidding fever and next thing you know.. This time it worked out.

I was watching a intake manifold for the 79 on fleabay, auction ended Friday. Edelbrock air gap intake. I've ran the performer intakes before and have always been happy but this time I wanted the air gap. Always thought that style of intake was cool and the obvious benefits of keeping the runners away from the heat of the engine.

Short story longer, bidding ended Friday and I got it. The manifold had been installed on a rebuilt engine that had never been installed or fired up. Basically new manifold. With shipping $194. Pretty pumped about this.
Chuck

The War Wagon

Veddy, VEDDY, nice!  I haven't had a GOOD E-Bay acquisition, since they went pal.  ::)

I'm also leery of a LOTTA Chinese knock-off crap that has FLOODED fleabay in recent years, although clearly your part is well-identified.  Buying new stuff in a box though through fleabay, is a crapshoot I'd just as soon avoid:confused2:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

80W150

Yeah stuff like this intake I'll buy but other parts and such, nah. I'll just go to local parts store and get. Sometimes you can run across NOS and that's hard to copy (like the 70's RC fender badges) but then you also pay a premium for it too. (of course anything NOS is going to be spendy most times)

Like you I don't get much off of fleabay any more but every now and then.......
Chuck

scratchinfotraction

I picked up a edelbrock non-airgap RPM intake for 125$ shipped.

I have a airgap and in the mild FL winters it makes it too cold and takes a good while for intake to warm up and stumble go away on my junk.

the early none airgap is the same specs but has the heat cross over that helps in winter temps.

I picked up the edelbrock RPM for the 440 truck for 125$ shipped.

picked up a holley street dominator 440 intake for 75$ + shipping, some one cut all the flashing off it to clone a M-1 intake I think. looks better with no egr pad anyways.

I need to list the RB/440 offy 360* split open plenum intake for sale.

hows the for sale section on this board doing?

crazzywolfie

sounds like you might need electric fans. they help an engine hit operating temp a lot quicker especially when it is -11*F out.

i never get caught up with bidding on ebay. if i am not getting a extremely good deal i will wait. as far as intakes go i am happy with with a stock 4bbl intake. may be heavy but works just fine.

80W150

I've ran the eddy performer rpm's before and liked them just fine but this time I really wanted the air gap. (more for show than anything else. Still a dual plane so it will work fine for what I'm going to do.)

As far as it warming up and such, not concerned. It's going on the 79 so it won't see cold weather driving to begin with. (it's garage bound this time of year.) But yeah wolfie, already have a Taurus fan sitting there that's going in. Figured I'd experiment on the 79 first and if it works good one that I'll either get another Taurus fan or a Chrysler minivan dual fan set up for my 01 ram. (God that mechanical fan sucks a lot of power in the 01)

Whichever I go with in the 01 it needs to be able to do a heck of a job cooling. That's my dd and tugboat. I'd hate to be going camping, dragging the camper and have it overheat.
Chuck

crazzywolfie

i guess if it don't really get cold where you live then the warming up is not as big of a issue but hitting operating temp quicker should probably help you try to get better gas mileage. i find my 81 seems to warm up pretty quick even in the extreme cold compared to my 93 which still has the mechanical fan.

The War Wagon

On a completely UN-related Dodge note, I decided to type my last name into fleabay's search engine the other night - just to see what might pop up.  Lo' & behold, there's a historical photograph place down in TN, that buys OLD newspaper pictures direct from the publishers.  The publishers have scanned 'em all by now, and they take up a TON of space, so this outfit in TN buys 'em for pennies a POUND and re-sells them on fleabay at $20 a piece.  Lotta typical news photos of local interest from the '20's - '60's - when they sell ONE, it pays for a hundred POUNDS of those that don't sell.

Nonetheless, I punch my name in, and a picture of my Granddad, from a business meeting in Charlotte in 1934 pops up!  :o  The neat thing is, the oldest picture I have of him, was a picture with he & grandma and my dad, when my dad was about 4 years old; he's about 29 or so in that picture.  In this picture I found on fleabay, he's not even 23 yet.  :D

Without even reading the details, as soon as I saw the pic, I KNEW that was him standing on the end of the line of men in the picture.  I see so much of my dad (from his younger days) in him in that picture.  In my picture of him with dad as a child, he looks even THEN, more like the man I remember as granddaddy.  Now I have a picture of him about a year & a half out of college.  He passed away 30 years ago this coming October - it's a nice present to have of him all these decades later.

In OTHER fleabay news, my great-great Uncle John, owned the FIRST Dodge dealership in the south, from 1912 - 1977.  Because the metal dealer trunk emblems they USED to stick on cars from HIS dealership, has MY last name Dodge on them, I'm now scouring fleabay and collectors of those emblems, to find one to stick on MY Ramcharger!  Kinda personalize it in a VERY distinctive way!  ;D

Toyradio

I do the E=bay this more than the wife would like. :violent1:

The War Wagon

Quote from: Toyradio on January 28, 2014, 08:25:04 AM
I do the E=bay this more than the wife would like. :violent1:

Tell her you'd be happy to give up E-Bay, and pay FULL-PRICE for parts at the Dodge dealer!   ;D

That'll make her want to whip you out a sammich while you're surfing!  :tongue3:

Toyradio

I hunt all kinds of parts, fishing stuff, camping stuff, truck stuff, ect ect.

crazzywolfie

i use to go deal shopping on ebay but with shipping and import fees it is starting to not be worth it. why they heck should i have to pay import fees on something that is used? :icon_scratch: someone has already most likely paid tax on it when it was bought brand new. why should i have to also?

80W150

Chuck