News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Need some pulleys

Started by 80W150, February 19, 2014, 06:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

80W150

Alright fellas, looking for non AC pulleys. Small block. Getting ready to pull the engine out of the 79 to reseal it and am ditching the AC. (it doesn't work and why would I want it in a pop top?)

If anybody has any or finds them please let me know. Thanks.
Chuck

taz_man440

If its the old style a/c compressor,leave it & use it as an air compressor. They work great!!
2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

SixGun

Quote from: taz_man440 on February 19, 2014, 11:57:48 PM
If its the old style a/c compressor,leave it & use it as an air compressor. They work great!!

Now that would be a great how to thread.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

taz_man440

Quote from: SixGun on February 20, 2014, 12:50:16 PM
Now that would be a great how to thread.

Ron, Oh Ron!!!!   tell us how you did yours... He does things correctly so thats why I vote Ron.. 
2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

SixGun

workgoats

Okay,  I take some pics tomorrow.  Basically you cut the lines, put some kind of filter on the suction side and send the high side toward a tank.  Use a standard air compressor switch and run a 12 volt line through it to the wire on the compressor.  You remove the restrictor in the discharge side and it gives a bunch of air.  Air tank will need a pressure relief valve because the compressor can put up multiple hundreds of air pressure and blow lines or hurt someone.

The crankcase needs to have oil.  I don't really know what is best, but I have 30W in mine.  I run all kinds of air tools, air up tires and whatever...

It puts out as much air as the 3 hp compressor in my garage.  Oh yeah, there needs to be a really good check valve.  And, if you use a good air compressor switch it will dump the pressure from the line so that when the pump comes back on, it won't be under load.

I currently am using a tank from under a mid sized truck that had air brakes.  It comes with the best check valve I have ever seen and has a pressure relief valve installed.

workgoats

I had to fabricate my brackets because I put a compressor on a small block and did not have the right brackets.  Having a stock setup makes it a lot easier.

SixGun

Pricey but you can get them in a set and know they will fit. 

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/engine_pulleys

Saw some on eBay too.

crazzywolfie

sound like he is trying to find one of the stock type idler pulley's and bracket like what would be used on a non a/c truck. could you possibly just run shorter belts?
what your looking for should look like this

workgoats

I don't know about all engines, but the small block I was dealing with would not work without the a/c unit or an idler because of the water pump being in the way.

My problem is, how will I put the 70's air compressor on the Magnum engine with the serpentine belt when I move it to my truck?  Ernest thinks that we can put an a/c clutch off a newer compressor on the old compressor.  I think that will require a good machine shop at the least.

crazzywolfie

on my 81 1 belt goes around alt, waterpump and crank and the other belt goes power steering pump, water pump and crank.

they make combo pulleys that you could use.
http://onboardair.com/pulleys.htm

workgoats

I think some alternator brackets locate the alternator where there is interference with something...

You forget stuff like that when you aren't looking at it at my age...

SixGun

Like Ron, if I remember correctly, one belt goes alt- water pump-crank and then there is the power steering-crank belt.  The water pump pulley is the deep one and there are spacers on the alternator bracketry to push it out from the block. Non ac alt bracket setups are sold all over like eBay and summit.

SixGun

Quote from: crazzywolfie on February 21, 2014, 02:26:08 AM
sound like he is trying to find one of the stock type idler pulley's and bracket like what would be used on a non a/c truck. could you possibly just run shorter belts?

I just found one of those pulleys today.  I just yanked the pulley though.  Takes the place of the compressor. I think it uses the same belts.

80W150

Quote from: crazzywolfie on February 21, 2014, 02:26:08 AM

Nope, don't want to run one of those. I've changed over on other rigs (deleted the a/c) just have to find the deeper water pump pulley and shim the alt bracket. (or buy the alt bracket set up from bouchillon)

Now the idea of using the a/c as a onboard compressor is pretty cool.....
Chuck