News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

crazzywolfie's 81 ram

Started by crazzywolfie, August 13, 2012, 10:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

well i just figure since i spent 2 days straight doing the speed limit dead on and using Mexican overdrive occasionally i should have got better fuel mileage than i did. it is the same fuel mileage i use to get when i would daily drive it. i just thought it use to have more power and less hesitation than it currently does but i could be wrong. maybe i am just getting a bit pickier as the years go by.

rjtx667

I think i used to averaged 13-14 with my 92 and 93 ram chargers with MPFI... so yeah I would not complain about that at all.

Heck my 2003 durango only gets 14.5 in town, granted some of that is my heavy foot.  :headbang:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

i think if i drove my 93 like i have been driving my truck lately it might actually see 18-20mpg. my 93 can average 14-16mpg most of the time without me trying. usually i do have a heavy foot also but been trying to keep it under control to save some money on fuel especially since i had to work 4 days in a row. my commute is about 60 miles a day. could almost us a car or something like that but with how many people have been killed on the highway i take to work over the last couple years i don't think i would want to drive anything less than a full size vehicle on it. i also received and installed the auto meter vacuum gauge i wanted for a while. it helps to remind me to take it easy. i still need to figure out the best place to mount but i made it usable for now. running out of space for aftermarket gauges.

crazzywolfie

so does anyone know which transmission line is the return line? i am planing on changing the transmission fluid/filter and adding an external transmission filter.  also does anyone have an external transmission filter installed? if so where to do you got it mounted? i am having a bit of a hard time choosing a spot to put it where it would be reasonably easy to get at when it needs to be changed but up and out of the way.

ProjectPW

best way to find which line is which is to disconnect them and have a helper crank the engine briefly to determine which one is pumping.... I don't recommend inline filters but if you do run one change it VERY frequently as a restriction of any kind on the cooler return will KILL your tranny  :nono:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

crazzywolfie

i don't think it would cause any restriction. i even think the filters have a bypass in them or if not the replacement filter they recommend does have one for sure.
http://www.bmracing.com/products/80277-remote-transmission-filter-kit/

ProjectPW

just saying in my experience external filters are unnecessary... get a drain plug in the transmission pan and service it frequently... drop the pan and change the filter every 30k... atf +4 or other high quality synthetic lubricant.. a transmission cooler is a great idea also  :great:

crazzywolfie

i was just thinking with an external filter it would keep the transmission fluid cleaner longer and keep the transmission work longer. i also figure it would act a bit like a cooler. i really don't want to add a additional cooler. i find the stock one usually does the job pretty good. i always find the bottom of my rad way cooler than the top which i know should be good.

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

thanks. if that is the case it might work out a bit better for me since there is a couple joint in the line that heads to the rear line. i just need to figure out the best spot to mount it first. i am also hopping to possibly get a bit deeper pan off a stock a518 trans. Collin is getting that B&M pan for his truck installed and i am hoping i might end up with his old stock one if the shop doesn't throw it out.

ProjectPW

Quote from: crazzywolfie on August 04, 2015, 09:06:31 PM
i was just thinking with an external filter it would keep the transmission fluid cleaner longer and keep the transmission work longer. i also figure it would act a bit like a cooler. i really don't want to add a additional cooler. i find the stock one usually does the job pretty good. i always find the bottom of my rad way cooler than the top which i know should be good.

Additional coolers are really only necessary when towing or in other severe duty use situations (4 wheeling)...just remember that the inline filters are intended to be replaced very often... I would not leave one on for more than 10k miles before changing it... make sure it is properly mounted away from exhaust heat and use new rubber hose where ever you attach it  :thumbsup:

crazzywolfie

i rarely tow anything heavy and never 4x4. also i think i could live with changing it every 10k miles. i am usually lucky if i put 3000miles on the truck in a year. i will be getting some new hose once i figure out where i am mounting it. i am pretty sure it should stay fairly far away from the exhaust if i can mount it on the drivers side of the frame

crazzywolfie

still not having the greatest luck with this thing. some of the lifter in my engine are started to tick under load. not sure what to do about it or if it is anything to worry about. it gets a bit better once warmed up but still noticeable. not sure exactly what i am going to do about it. i was thinking about throwing a bit of ATF in with the oil and hope it helps. i am going to change the oil in it and hope it helps since i haven't actually change it in forever but i have been keeping it topped up which is nearly as good as changing it. i think i go through about a quart or 2 a month daily driving it so oil should be fairly clean.

now i did pick up another horn for my truck. scored it for a great deal of $5. i am glad it popped up because i really needed a new horn. the stock type horns were either dying or just sounded weak and like crap.

crazzywolfie

i haven't added ATF to the oil yet but i did get around to changing the oil last week and the lifter tick is still there. i think the lifter tick gets a bit better some times than it does others. sometimes it would disappear all together and most of the time it only ticks under load. now tick or no tick the engine seems to be running pretty good otherwise. i cleaned out the back of it to help someone do some moving and been having some fun. the tires squeal and spin a lot more with absolutely nothing in the box  :13:

SixGun

They spin great in water and mud too  :lol_hitting:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket