News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Welcome back Carter

Started by SixGun, June 06, 2014, 11:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

Actually just fixed the 2 ton hoist I picked up. I have been using a 1 ton with a short boom that barely clears the radiator support.  This one has a 7 ft boom and had been towed behind the tractor and destroyed the rubber wheels. I had to put in some jack oil also. I also replaced some missing bolts and got it to fold up for storage.

Lastly, i  had to make some room in the garage to work. Hope to get started today on the motor.

On a side note, all the parts have come in to do the suspension. Front 2" coil spring spacers and Gabriel max control monotube gas shocks.For the rear, Rancho long add-a-leaf, new ubolts, and Gabriel fleet truck shocks for the rear. I want to fix the Dodge lean while I'm at it. Anyone done this? I was thinking of cutting an extra overload spring down to a zero rate. Any thoughts on this?
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

SixGun

Edelbrock Performer intake

crazzywolfie

Quote from: SixGun on June 21, 2014, 10:47:01 AM
On a side note, all the parts have come in to do the suspension. Front 2" coil spring spacers and Gabriel max control monotube gas shocks.For the rear, Rancho long add-a-leaf, new ubolts, and Gabriel fleet truck shocks for the rear. I want to fix the Dodge lean while I'm at it. Anyone done this? I was thinking of cutting an extra overload spring down to a zero rate. Any thoughts on this?
does the truck lean? if it is not leaning currently i would just leave it. the coils in my 81 are worn in enough that the front end sits pretty level. ramchargers are not as prone to leaning since there gas tanks are between the frame rails behind the axle.

SixGun

The lean is more pronounced on the D150. From what they are saying on RCC it is because of the front springs/ coils. Hard to believe. As you know, the front coils are new on the D150.  Maybe its my driveway lol. I'll have to do some measuring before I do anything drastic.

After checking the numbers on the carb, 9636SA turns out it is a competition series AFB 625 cfm. It is a square bore design.

crazzywolfie

Ya the trucks also got the gas tanks on the drivers side. my 81 has 7leaf springs per side and really warn out coil springs which is why it sits level out front

SixGun

Welcome to the jungle baby.  Near 100* high humidity and mosquito's the size of hummingbirds.  The Skeeter's here are so tough they eat Off like salsa. I even over heard one say, "Umm good, I like Mexican." Yeah our Skeeter's talk don't yours?

Ha ha....anyways, I took the carb off to clean it.  Full of leaves, dirt and stuff.  Secondaries wouldn't budge. Mudd daubers must love 318's. Cleaned up well.

Last couple of bolts to pull the motor. One behind oil filter and one behind the starter. Starter won't budge without lowering exhaust. Hangers are too rusty so I'll have to cut them off. The starter is one of those fat sobs and a clever little heat shield that I can't seem to get off. Thinking about putting the mini starter instead.

Crazy Chrysler, who's dumb idea to mix metric and see bolts. I just want to kick the man in the ass for that. Must have been Iacocca since that bastard came from Ford.

Check out this bulging heater hose. When I unhooked the other end, there was some bluish goop inside with the texture of plumbers putty. Strange....

Another interesting tidbit. The power steering is hooked up to a small cooler in front of the radiator.

The War Wagon

Quote from: SixGun on June 24, 2014, 08:40:48 PM
Another interesting tidbit. The power steering is hooked up to a small cooler in front of the radiator.

My RC had a power steering cooler.  Not sure if that was a factory option or not, but I had it replaced, when we were replacing everything ELSE under the hood last year.  With 35's, it doesn't HURT!

AHH!  Here it is - I thought I had a picture of it.  To the right of the pulley/below the water pump!

Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

SixGun

I actually had one of those on my GTX that I stole from a cop car at the junkyard.  This one is the same size as a trans cooler. Seems like over kill, even for towing.

crazzywolfie

my ramcharger also has a power steering cooler. i really don't see a need for it. my 81 don't have one and it has done just fine.

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on June 25, 2014, 07:41:56 PM
my ramcharger also has a power steering cooler. i really don't see a need for it. my 81 don't have one and it has done just fine.

We got the BONUS plan!  :tongue3:

rjtx667

the mexico RC has a power steering cooler... and  for as hot as it can get down here and down in Mexico... I can see why it can be good.

I want to add hydro boost brakes to it, so that will be good once again.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

The War Wagon

Quote from: rjtx667 on June 25, 2014, 09:46:24 PM
I want to add hydro boost brakes to it, so that will be good once again.

You & me both, brudda - and rear wheel disc conversion, while I'm at it!!!  :thumbsup:

rjtx667

I already got rear disk... I cheated I just got a 2005 9.25 rear end with rear disk and 3.92 gears and moved the spring perch's to fit  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

Go with Wilwood master cylinder, Easier  to install and will lock the brakes up!

Sorry Richard, Highjack over  :laughing7:

SixGun

I went to visit Ernest this weekend to freshen up the 318 and put in a cam. Going on 3 days now and 2 engines. The motor was cracked. Ron offered a 318 he had for a future project to get me off and running. Ernest tore this one down also and it needed rod and main bearings.  I  tell you what, College Station doesn't carry 318 parts. This 2 horse town only carries stuff for your tractor or horse.  Sheesh..... :017: