News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

NP241 flange nut on the driveshaft yoke

Started by The War Wagon, June 18, 2014, 06:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The War Wagon

Why, oh WHY, does the Haynes Manual on '74 - '93 Full-Size Dodge Trucks, NOT include a diagram of the NP241 transfer case?!?!  ::)

Oh well - some buddies from Steeltown Offroaders are gonna speed up my driveshaft project - we just need to know a couple of things.

1) What SIZE is the flange nut that attaches the yoke to the transfer case?  Is it standard, or metric?

2) What's the proper inch/lbs of torque to cinch my new flange replacement back onto the t-case?  After the meeting, we were kicking tires in the parking lot, and guessing 150-180 in./lbs, but we'd prefer NOT to "guess" - we'd like to get it RIGHT.

3) Does the pinion seal need to/HAVE TO be replaced at this time, since the yoke is coming off?  Is that an "Autoshack" purchase, or a special order item?

Thanks guys!
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

ProjectPW

yep get a new seal... dont rely on the parts house to know which one it is....write down the number off of it and call around....have an assortment of metric and standard sockets on hand and get a good impact to remove and install the yoke....it needs to be tight ...if you dont feel comfortable without a torque wrench use the torque spec for a np208 it will be the same/close enough :steeringwheel:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

The War Wagon

Thanks - I'll order that seal today!

We've got an inch/pound wrench lined up, so we're good in that sense.  I'll keep you posted.

The War Wagon

Pinion seal update:

Denny's has this, and because it's Denny's, I KNOW it'll be RIGHT: http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p890_np_241_1988_2002_rear_output_seal_for_dodge.html

Whilst Autozone has this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Transfer-Case-Seal/_/N-6o2sg?itemIdentifier=513024&_requestid=901817

Autozone is a mile away from me, which is the great temptation - it's easy to get to.  We're pulling the driveshaft & yoke next week (where's that 'fingers crossed' smiley, anyways?  :icon_scratch: ), so I wanna make sure we have the RIGHT seal in hand and are GTG!

What sayest the brain trust?

ProjectPW

is autozone really the only local choice..... seriously?..... I would look elsewhere .....

ProjectPW

the seal you need is National p/n:3946 ...... now go find an oreilly or napa or something....no ZONE  :great: :tongue3:

The War Wagon

Sometimes, after typing something out, you SEE that you'd already answered your OWN question in the process.

I ordered from Denny's Driveshaft right AFTER I posted that.  :great:

The War Wagon

Quote from: ProjectPW on June 21, 2014, 07:56:29 AM
the seal you need is National p/n:3946 ...... now go find an oreilly or napa or something....no ZONE  :great: :tongue3:

No lie.  I basically use them to get motor oil, car wax, shop rags - things that even they can't screw up.  :tongue3:

SixGun

Just like most places, branding makes a big difference.  Also helps to know what part number you need.  The Duralast line is terrible and I used to work for AZ. Felpro gaskets and Timken seals no problem there.  I like to check Advance online. Usually run a discount to buy online and pick up at the store. I've found some better quality parts there. Chemicals usually have a 2for special for stuff like brake cleaner. Seems like anytime i try to get anything from NAPA they have to order it and it takes a week. So i usually go with O'Reilly. Great service and prices. The one by my house usually has to order it but it is same day or next.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket