News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Aftermarket Stereo installations - let's see 'em!

Started by The War Wagon, June 30, 2014, 11:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The War Wagon

After 8 years, and a COUPLE of false starts, I'm about to FINALLY get my stereo installation done!

Who else has done one, and what have you got?  Post lots of pics if you can, so we can see what's what and get some ideas.

I'm going without a subwoofer at the present (I know - practically UN-heard of in these days, but news/talk stations always sounds weird through one...  :o ), although my Kenwood stereo supports one.  I might fiddle with it later, so I wouldn't mind seeing what y'all have done on your installations.  Because of other interior goodies, I'm a bit cramped for space, which is why I'm especially keen on seeing what HAS been done in other folks' installs.
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

crazzywolfie

i find just having an aftermarket deck usually makes a huge difference over the stock deck. i have a sub and amp in my truck and it is nice for a bit extra kick but i usually keep it turn down for the most part  because i am not one of those idiots that want my music distorted and my ear drums blown. it just makes it nice some of those songs that need a bit more bass

rjtx667

My 93 has a aftermarket deck (it suxs) and I think 2 of the 4 speakers work?  :laughing7:

its on the list to get fixed but its way down the list.

The 2000 has a decent system. No amp but a good deck and infinity component speakers all around. They will get going good even without an amp. Of course on it I had to save the steering wheel controls and that was a huge pita but I am glad I did.

When I looked at doing a new deck before on the 91, I decided it was in a bad place to try and do a touch screen system and it would need to be a more traditional type deck.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

The War Wagon

I hate stereo installs...   :confused2:

That is all...  ::)

crazzywolfie

looks like your doing something wrong :laughing7: installing a stereo is easy. just make sure to get a dodge face plate kit and wiring harness kit and install should go smooth. those 2 kits should cost less than $40 total. i think they are about $20 each but might be cheaper.

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on July 02, 2014, 01:36:28 PM
looks like your doing something wrong :laughing7: installing a stereo is easy. just make sure to get a dodge face plate kit and wiring harness kit and install should go smooth. those 2 kits should cost less than $40 total. i think they are about $20 each but might be cheaper.

I HAVE the kit.  It's the amp, the stereo, & the speakers that are a hootenanny...  ::)

Oh yeah - and wiring the CB and 'accessories'...

Dracen

I wired in a 120 volt invertor, 1100 watt mono block amp with a 2.2 fard cap, bluetooth head unit with all new speakers. a 12" dual voice coil sub in a custom box in my 98 ram... I feel your pain.... next is to install 12v power outlets throughout and  120 outlets throughout as well...

The War Wagon

Quote from: Dracen knights on July 02, 2014, 06:53:11 PM
next is to install 12v power outlets throughout and  120 outlets throughout as well...

SPEAKING of which...  that's the FIRST thing electrical I've installed that works so far!   :tongue3:

Four 12v outlet bank, with a 10amp fuse on the plug.  Installed ANOTHER power port to the left of the ash tray, fused it at 20amps, and it all WORKED!

After 4 hours working on the stereo yesterday (combined with the 20 or so hours ALREADY spent on it), and another 2 1/2 hours today...

I'm JUST about ready to physically install the stereo in the dash.  Gotta trim the excess tabs off the aftermarket fitment fascia - also gotta figure where to place the second USB pot, which is on a cord coming out the backside of the stereo.  It's TEMPTING to figure our a way to fit it flush in the dash... but we'll hafta wait and see on that one...

crazzywolfie

Quote from: The War Wagon on July 02, 2014, 03:10:11 PM

I HAVE the kit.  It's the amp, the stereo, & the speakers that are a hootenanny...  ::)

Oh yeah - and wiring the CB and 'accessories'...
if you got the kits is should easy. pretty much plug the adapter kit in and hook up the same color wires together.

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on July 02, 2014, 08:22:13 PM
if you got the kits is should easy. pretty much plug the adapter kit in and hook up the same color wires together.

Between the remnants of the previous owner's car alarm, electric trailer brake, and other "miscellany," under the dash has been an adventure, to say the least.  Then there's my electrical port wiring, CB & scanner, and aftermarket stereo & amp install going on as well.  If it all works & the truck doesn't burn to the ground when all is done, this should be considered as TWO of my three miracles towards sainthood in the Church of Rome...

... and I'm LUTHERAN:o

crazzywolfie

i am good with electrical :laughing7:. i don't mind a little electrical work as long as my truck don't burn down lol

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on July 03, 2014, 07:30:27 AM
i am good with electrical :laughing7: . i don't mind a little electrical work as long as my truck don't burn down lol

ELECTRIC SPAGHETTI!!!  I used to make that all the TIME in the '80's!  :tongue3:   I gave it up, for vehicles with better stereo systems.  :laughing7:

Now I'm trying NOT to fry myself either - especially since a BIG batch of my electrical gear arrived today!   :dance:

crazzywolfie

lol. it is not as bad as it looks. my main issue was needing to upgrade the crappy stock fusible links. i removed the fuses from anything i am not using so nothing gets fried. i am usually pretty lucky with electrical but i always wear steel toes that are shock resistant. if anything the other people i am working with usually get shocked :evil6:

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on July 03, 2014, 08:12:14 PMif anything the other people i am working with usually get shocked :evil6:

Talk about giving everybody ELSE a short fuse...  :laughing7:

crazzywolfie

:laughing4: ya working with me can be a shocking experience lol