News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

motor mounts

Started by crazzywolfie, July 07, 2014, 06:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

ok i am looking at motor mounts. the passenger side motor on my truck has pretty much failed. every time i am driving down the road my truck has a funny vibration that is only there when i let off the gas. it disappears when i touch the gas. i have known it was going for a while since i drive my truck pretty aggressively in reverse and the bang of the motor mount is un-missable when i am backing up. so i am wondering if i could run diesel motor mounts? they look like they might be a bit taller but otherwise the same but heavier duty. anyone ever try them? i really don't want to be replacing the cheap motor mounts every 3 years or 20,000km's. i know my truck is a torque monster and all but this is pretty ridiculous. thanks

SixGun

Have you got a side by side shot?  Set them side by side at the auto parts store.

You know, you could always do the poly mounts.  Grease and oil won't affect them.

Kinda pricey though. http://www.polybushings.com/pages/2469.html

They also show a diesel one and give dimensions.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

no. the parts store don't keep them in stock. they would have to order them in. the only thing is they would cost $100/set if i was to buy them at the parts store so i was thinking about ordering them from from rockauto where it would only cost me $45/set instead. i was just hoping someone has tried them and know if i will run into any issues.

i have thought about poly bushings but don't have the money for it. my vehicles are needing too much work to spend $150 on a set of motor mounts. i was actually considering chaining the 1 side down just to buy me some time until i can make up my mind. i really haven't been driving the truck much just because the motor mount is shot and i don't want to create any other issues.

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on July 07, 2014, 09:08:32 PMno. the parts store don't keep them in stock.

JUST an FYI... something that MIGHT be worth looking into; I discovered - quite by accident - that a large steel mill, that's STILL operating in Homestead, PA (just east of the city, along the Mon River), used W150's as fleet vehicles back in the day - they even have a couple still running around the plant, although not NEARLY as many as back in the day. 

Consequently, I can get a LOTTA old oddball Dodge truck parts at THAT Advance Auto store (about 6 miles from my house), that NOBODY else keeps in stock.  I got my 125amp alternator there, as they are the ONLY AA store in western PA, that keeps 'em IN stock.

It might be worth discovering if there were any Dodge truck/van fleets HQ'd anywhere nearby, and see if they keep a local parts store flush with their business.  I try & shop at THIS particular store as much as possible, to make sure they KEEP stocking old Dodge pieces!   :thumbsup:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

SixGun

Yep, $100 + can buy a lot of motor mounts. Summit carries rubber ones for like $4 a piece. You can keep a lot on hand for a quarter of the cost. They are so easy to swap out too.

http://m.summitracing.com/search/department/chassis-suspension/part-type/motor-mounts-and-inserts/year/1991/make/dodge/model/d150

crazzywolfie

ya that is why i was thinking about ordering diesel motor mounts. they look a bit heavier duty. i would be hoping they lasted longer. its not like they are that much more expensive than the cheap ones. i just end up paying about the same for shipping as i pay for the parts to get them here.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/ani-2710

there is not enough older dodge trucks left around for the parts stores to keep the stuff in stock

SixGun

Do you have O'Reillys over there? They got mine in 2 hours from a hub store. It was the brand Anchor.  $7.99 a piece here.

crazzywolfie

no O'Reillys here. the stock type motor mounts are $14 at the parts store and they could have them in by 5pm if i order them before 2pm. i was just hoping for better than stock.

SixGun

Have you checked your trans mount? Something else must be leading to premature motor mount failure.

crazzywolfie

trans mount should be good. i know i replaced it about a year or 2 after after i did the motor mounts. it is just the 1 motor mount that has gone bad. if both went bad i would know. i had that happen last time.

rjtx667

Have you ever replaced the motor mount?

If not this is on the 81? so thats 33 years? I would say stock is just fine  :laughing7:

Even so, pay the 10 bux to fix it now, and fix it right... if you want to upgrade later you can do that and then have a spare for the other truck.

Unless you really added some HP, these trucks don't make enough power to need a lot.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

the motor mounts are less than 3 years old. had to replace both of them last time. this time it is only the passenger side one that has gone bad.

my truck is not my daily driver so i could possibly wait a bit to fix it.

SixGun

I'm just really surprised it only lasted 3 years. Stay away from  Autozone's  Duralast line. I've used Anchor and have been pleased so far. Cheap rubber in the extreme cold maybe but they usually last for years. Might be something else causing this.

crazzywolfie

ya that is why i was think about trying a better motor mount. the motor mounts are anchor brand. maybe the extreme cold this winter is what has caused the issue. i know it was so cold this winter that i was having issues with the fuel in my carb turning to jelly. it just seemed weird that is was the passenger side motor mount. that one only gets stress put on it when in reverse. i only back my truck into the driveway every time i drive it. only time i drive into the driveway is when i am working on it or something is broken

SixGun

I went looking at warranty on these and most retailers have lifetime on them so check your receipt.  However, I did find some bad reviews on the Anchor mounts.  Sounds lime you hardly drive it. May not be worth changing it for free.  Another harsh winter might have you doing it again.  You did mention changing the trans mount after the motor mounts.  If you do a lot of reverse burnouts or drove frequently with the bad trans mount, this may have led to its early demise depending on its condition and frequency.

I've busted dry rotted ones with offroading so I've learned to change them when the opportunity is there. I put a new set on Carter.