News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

^*%^&%$%^#^$@#!@&%$ steering column!!!

Started by The War Wagon, July 11, 2014, 08:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The War Wagon

Ok... HOW does one access the run/accessory switch, since the ^%&%$#^@@%$^$& stereo run/ignition wire is what's prevent my amp from firing up, and it's REALLY starting to piss me off!!!  :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5:

I know about the Trox screws, but the LAST thing I wanna do is break something IMPORTANT... or set off the airbag::)   My stereo install is complete, save for this one *&^*&^%&$%$#$^@%#!#$$%@$@^@&*%^$&%$#^$^@#$#$!@#!^@&#*%#$&$%$#$@#$@!@!!@# wire, and hooking it up correctly.

Thanks...  :confused2:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

crazzywolfie

you also need a security torques bit once you get the cover off. your truck shouldn't have air bags. if you are that worried about it disconnect the battery and try to start your truck. if your truck has tilt steering the tilt leaver unscrews like a screw.

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on July 11, 2014, 08:39:25 PM
you also need a security torques bit once you get the cover off. your truck shouldn't have air bags.

RUH ROH!!!  :o

Should I give them back?  :tongue3:

Quote from: crazzywolfie on July 11, 2014, 08:39:25 PMif you are that worried about it disconnect the battery and try to start your truck. if your truck has tilt steering the tilt leaver unscrews like a screw.

OK... which wire do I splice onto after that?   :icon_scratch:

crazzywolfie

i wouldn't slice into any of the wires. if anything you should install a relay under the dash that gets its power from the battery with an inline fuse and use the cigarette lighter wire to activate the relay. if your RC don't have power window you could possibly use the power window fuse holder. it only gets power sometimes. i forget exactly when it gets power.

rjtx667

I can look in the FSM later tonight, but what Crazzywolfie said should work
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

The War Wagon

I ended up fuseblocking it.  Must be something with car ignitions being easier to deal with than truck ignitions, because EVERY aftermarket stereo set of instructions talks about "plugging it into the steering column" like it was as easy as plugging an electrical cord into a power socket.  ::) 

crazzywolfie

ya as far as i know there is no extra wires or connectors on these trucks ignition switches. using the cigarette lighter to activate a relay would work in most newer vehicles. dodge trucks 87 and older have two 3way connectors behind the dash. 1 provides ignition power only and the other 1 provide accessory power. i don't think the newer truck got anything similar.