News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1982 Ramcharger

Started by taz_man440, October 07, 2014, 02:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

Are you just replacing the bushings or putting a body lift? 

Anything in particular you have a concern about?

Pretty simple, apply penetrating fluid - loosen - jack it up -replace - lower - loosely tighten. Repeat until all are done. Then, adjust body and torque it down. Dont forget the loctite. Hopefully, you wont break a bolt like i did. Then it becomes a major pita.

Good luck!   :thumbsup:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectM880

Will Does your rig still have a  welded rear end? Are you planning to drive on the road with it?

Good job on the progress  :thumbsup:

taz_man440

Richard, this is the new body.. Hasn't been bolted down yet... I have new poly bushings & a 3" body lift going on  at the same time.. Figured why do this twice...
2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

taz_man440

Eric, yes, this still has the welded rear.. Figured I would replace after I found how much abuse this oddball rearend could take.

Here is what the pile of bushings & body lift looks like..  Gonna be interesting...
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectM880

taz_man440

Well, it took a lil figuring but I got the new Body bushings & 3" body lift done.  Still have to drop radiator down 3" and tackle the wiring issue..    Anybody know if the wiring changed much between 82 & 87?  I might try to see if I can just plug the engine / engine bay wiring directly into the firewall mount.. You know where the 2 halves of the harnesses meet... :icon_scratch:
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

ProjectM880

That Ramcharger Is looking Sweet!  :thumbsup:

No clue on if the wiring has changed or not. But I would think its pretty close to the same. Was it in 88 when they went to TBI?

taz_man440

Seems like it... But this thing has original 87 engine wiring, with a few hacks here & there... The body is now a 82 wiring, & i have the other half of the 87 in body wiring with fuse box and another 86 fuse box with some cab wiring.   so this should be fun... :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

crazzywolfie

i think as far as the wiring goes you got to choose one or the other. the bulkhead connector and a few of the electrical connectors are the only thing that changed between 82 and 87. i think 85 was the year they changed from a 40 terminal bulkhead connector to a 50 terminal bulkhead connector.

taz_man440

Well the dash was retrofitted with manual gauges, so that shouldn't be hard to figure out.. Need oil pressure line kit, then Ignition is easy, I'm using a MSD box.. I went through & pulled all old wiring off engine, strung out the existing wiring & cut out the a/c connections.. (no plans for it) then figured out the cab has no wiring for the alternator. PO had installed a Magnum, then removed so I've got to do some patching in for the voltage regulator.  Other than that the difference in connections for the brake, tail, blinkers & gas gauge are different so i'm gonna have to trace & splice to make em work...  Also can't find my old book with schematics...  Guess im gonna have to visit RCC for those..
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

crazzywolfie

the voltage regulator should be easy to wire in. you just feed it power from the same ignition power wire that you will use to power the MSD box.

taz_man440

Ok.. So it has 2 wires from alternator +1 lg main (to battery).  is it gonna matter which small wire from alternator to VR ties into ignition? where does the other wire from alternator go?  I do have 2 VR harnesses i can source wires from..
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

crazzywolfie

the one wire on the voltage regulator needs to be positive. this picture might help you understand how to wire it. the terminal labeled I needs to be positive like the picture shows. it don't really matter how you hook them up to the alternator.

taz_man440

Thanks a bunch... Got the oil pressure & water temp hooked up so I can test crank...  That way I can make sure the ignition wires don't loos power while cranking.   Looking better. Thanks for all the help!!
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project