News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 2wd

Started by rjtx667, January 11, 2015, 08:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

so  I made the fatal mistake at work again this week... I started browsing craigslist.

Found a 2005 cummins 2wd truck. the ad said:

I have a white 2005 5.9l Dodge Cummins 2500 truck, 156,000 miles. It is broke down, I have heard everything from a dropped rod to a bad oil pump to a backed out flywheel bolt. the engine starts and runs, but has a knocking noise coming from the bottom of the engine where the engine and torque converter meet. I have had the torque converter checked, flywheel checked, engine checked, and the best anyone can say to me is to get a new engine which i am not financially willing to do. The truck itself is in good condition, infinity sound system, spray in bed liner, air shocks under the bed for heavy towing, leather electric heated seats, heated mirrors, 6 disc cd changer, hide away goose neck hitch. I am tired of dealing with it. Once I get the title for it I will sign it and mail it to you.

I don't know whats wrong with it, you will have to pick it up with a flatbed trailer. Cash only, once up and running the blue book value is close to $20k. If you have good knowledge of these trucks then this is the truck for you. Come get it!!!

-

So I looked at it Thursday and decided to give it a go. Finally got it home tonight. It knocked real bad and would not even get itself up on the trailer (had to winch it), got it to my house and drove it into the driveway and the knock went away. That seems to be suggesting a fuel related issue of some kind.

gonna see if I just got a heck of a deal, or if I got screwed. Hopefully its a deal and I have a new tow rig.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

Hell YEAH  :thumbsup:

Hope you get it fixed up! One hell of a tow rig

rjtx667

I sure hope so, the price was right for me to roll the dice.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Pretty soon you are gonna need to move into a warehouse or ranch. 
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on January 11, 2015, 09:02:15 PM
Pretty soon you are gonna need to move into a warehouse or ranch.

Pretty Soon his place will look like my ranch and Noah's shop  :laughing4:

rjtx667

pretty sure my neighbors would complain I am running a used car lot, except none of them ever seem to stay gone lol  :laughing7:

I do want to try and save a little to put down on a few acres outside of town, but that will take a while.  If other members lived closer to DFW I would not have to worry as much about that  :evil6:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

Quote from: rjtx667 on January 11, 2015, 09:25:28 PM
pretty sure my neighbors would complain I am running a used car lot, except none of them ever seem to stay gone lol  :laughing7:

I do want to try and save a little to put down on a few acres outside of town, but that will take a while.  If other members lived closer to DFW I would not have to worry as much about that  :evil6:

Maybe you should move further south  :tongue3:

rjtx667

the court of tarrant county says I cant  :dontknow:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Get a big enough ranch and we will all move in with you.   :13:

rjtx667

If its that big we would never leave as it would be a 24x7 Offroad outing lol  :headbang:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

ProjectM880

I know Noah Has been working on a few of these newer cummins trucks with Bad Fly Wheels. Maybe Give him a call, he may be able to lead you in the right direction.

rjtx667

I believe his exact words were "Scary" lol

Ernest has been giving some advice, so I am starting with basics, check fuel and send off a oil sample for testing.

I am going to remove the inspection plate and check the flex plate as well.

after that it's down to leak down test/ compression test, then remove injectors for testing and injector pump for testing.

it's parked outside right now so just have to take it slow.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

Quote from: rjtx667 on January 12, 2015, 09:11:44 PM
I believe his exact words were "Scary" lol

Ernest has been giving some advice, so I am starting with basics, check fuel and send off a oil sample for testing.

I am going to remove the inspection plate and check the flex plate as well.

after that it's down to leak down test/ compression test, then remove injectors for testing and injector pump for testing.

it's parked outside right now so just have to take it slow.

Well I hope it works out that would be one hell of a truck!

ProjectM880

Any word on whats wrong with the truck?