News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 2wd

Started by rjtx667, January 11, 2015, 08:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectM880

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 13, 2015, 10:16:54 PM
Going to pull the head and that will tell me if I have to pull the block or not.

But I figure at this point once the head is pulled I will do 1 of 2 things... either a between the frames rebuild or a pulled out rebuild.

If I can do it between the frame then it will be cheaper, and won't require new pistons but we shall see.

I know Noah said get a long block, but I rather know what parts are in it... even if that means I don't get a warranty.

Warranty is only as good as those who back it up. :laughing7:

I replaced one Piston and One set of Piston rings in a 1946 CJ-2A 4 cyl by pulling the pan and head. Popped the piston and rod out the top with a piece of rebar. Stuck it all back together without a torque wrench or a idea of what i was doing. It kept running till my brother blew the rear axle  :violent1:

I say go for it  :thumbsup:

ProjectPW

It will either need one new piston/rod assembly.... or a crankshaft is the worst case scenario, if the rod/bearing ate it up.... best case scenario it is a wrist pin/piston issue only and the connecting rod and crank will be fine   :thumbsup:   If the crank is no good the motor will need to be pulled IMO... if it just needs #6 piston it certainly can be done in the truck
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

rjtx667

I would agree with all of that... but I also think If I go i. and replace 1 set of rings I should go ahead and replace them all... replace the rear main as well, and get a valve job?

if your in there and it's tore apart why not?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 14, 2015, 08:50:27 AM
I would agree with all of that... but I also think If I go i. and replace 1 set of rings I should go ahead and replace them all... replace the rear main as well, and get a valve job?

if your in there and it's tore apart why not?

eh... its a cummins... not even broke in yet.... fix the knock and have the head cleaned up at the machine shop, reset valve lash and be done. If you plan on overhauling all of it just pull the motor ... my 2cents... YDMV

SixGun

Ok I give up, what is YDMV?

You Dig Me Vern?    :icon_scratch:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

if that's what you say then that sounds like a plan... cheaper too
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on March 14, 2015, 09:52:48 AM
Ok I give up, what is YDMV?

You Dig Me Vern?    :icon_scratch:
Google Says:
Your diabetes may vary

:dontknow:

rjtx667

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

ProjectM880

Quote from: ProjectPW on March 14, 2015, 10:33:43 PM
we have a winner   :thumbsup:

Noah Is becoming hip with the young kids and all their acronyms,
Pretty soon he will be saying YOLO,LMAO, etc etc  :laughing4:

rjtx667

Just wait till you get your next invoice from him.... you won't be able to understand what he is charging for  :evil6:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 16, 2015, 08:22:30 AM
Just wait till you get your next invoice from him.... you won't be able to understand what he is charging for  :evil6:

:BangHead:

rjtx667

Ernest was up here getting parts for my dakota he is trying to sell.

We fired up the cummins real quick and he poked around. He heard the sound but said he thought it was coming from the head area, and not the block.

So that means I will proceed with my plan to pull the head next, but it has to wait as the 93 has to get finished.. and then I think my parents are next in line for replacing their worn out struts  :confused2:

I might make a night of pulling the head just so I can try to learn more... hate not knowning  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 22, 2015, 09:17:53 PM
Ernest was up here getting parts for my dakota he is trying to sell.

We fired up the cummins real quick and he poked around. He heard the sound but said he thought it was coming from the head area, and not the block.

So that means I will proceed with my plan to pull the head next, but it has to wait as the 93 has to get finished.. and then I think my parents are next in line for replacing their worn out struts  :confused2:

I might make a night of pulling the head just so I can try to learn more... hate not knowning  :laughing7:

It is probably the piston kissing the combustion chamber due to a f'ed up wrist pin... seriously... if it is running on all 6 cylinders it is NOT the head.....  :violent1:

you can however pull the valve cover a and check valve clearance... that would be a plausible ticking sound if the adjustment is wayyy off....

pulling the head is no easy task... it is also easier to have the head on for motor removal due to built on lift points.....

rjtx667

Ernest said he heard it missing even at idle... I don't know diesel's well enough to be able to tell.

I could see the wrist pin being the cause of it all, just hope its not screwed up too much stuff in there yet.

Its not a ticking sound, its definitely a knock.

I have no doubt pulling the head is a royal PITA, just from shear size and weight if nothing else.

I have time to think on how to proceed, the long list of projects lol
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins