News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

87 R/C project

Started by bullboy0852, March 24, 2015, 11:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullboy0852

Mine are like 1/2 in deep molded into the console

rjtx667

I have done a cam before, doing 1 right now.

Its not bad... and it makes a world of difference.

Just have to take your time, clean the surfaces real good and notice how everything goes together.

I don't recall, have to ask Noah, your 87 might have solid lifters... but I think it has rollers. solid lifters have different break in requirements than roller lifters. It also determine what kind of cam you need. roller cams cost more, but usually last better. You have a LA block, so its easier to find the right cam. Magnum can have a long snout (for a fuel pump) and a short snout for fuel injection.

I would look at either Mopar, Comp, or Crane cams. I have used Crane and Comp and both work good... the older LA blocks something like the purple Mopar cam I hear is good.

Whatever cam you get you need to make sure it can either work with the factory springs on the valves, or that you upgrade the valve springs. While your in there it might be a good time to take the heads off and get a valve job... just depends on your millage and condition of the engine. I have the philosophy that if I am in there replace what wears out and avoid having to go in again. Granted on my dana 44, that came back to bite me and I destroyed the axle because of a new ujoint  :evil6:

There is also a good chance your timing chain and gears are shot.. Chrysler used some nylon type teeth that wore out bad. get a new double roller.

I would say the work is usually about a 2 weekend job.. 1 weekend to tear it down and get the heads off,  get them to the shop to be rebuilt. 1 weekend to put it back together.

You have to remove the dizzy, so that means you have to find TDC and re-stab it and hopefully not get it out 180*

Just look at all the parts and replace what you think is bad. If you look at my 93 thread, you can see I am replacing lots of parts. The cam had some damage from the overheating of the blown head gaskets, so I am replacing the cam, lifters, push rods, etc.

Also very import (at least on the magnums) ALWAYS use new intake bolts... they can break off and be a real PITA if that happens. New head bolts are not required, but for the price its not a bad idea.

I bet Noah will pipe in with the stuff I missed sometime soon.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

bullboy0852

Gonna have to run the numbers on the block i have not a clue if its original. Guy i bought it from said he rebuilt the engine.

rjtx667

look on the bottom and you will see 318 or 360.

you can tell if it has magnum heads or la heads by the number of bolts in the valve covers. 10 bolts are magnum heads, otherwise it's LA

You can put magnum heads on a LA block but I don't know many that do.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Quote from: bullboy0852 on March 27, 2015, 09:17:52 AM
Mine are like 1/2 in deep molded into the console

Mine were too. I took a dremel tool and cut them out. The deep cup ones are pop ins. They have 4 notches to keep them in.

1st pic is the donor and the 2nd is mine after the install.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

bullboy0852

Ok, scratch the cam, shes my daily cant afford that much downtime. But i am picking up another R/C when i get home, just 2x, so ill build that one and drive this one until then.

rjtx667

you could probably do it in a weekend, but with the risk of issues I would not roll those dice if its your daily driver.

My 93 has been tore apart for 2 weeks now waiting on the heads, machine shop went show and dropped the ball  :violent1:

Picking them up tomorrow morning.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

bullboy0852

Yah ill just wait, rebuild this other engine and tranny and drop em in, if the tranny will even work with the transfer case. What i really want is an older dodge pickup with a slant six for a daily then i can frankendodge the R/C lol

rjtx667

I would not want a truck with a slant 6... the stock 5.2 is gutless enough  :laughing7:

now the 408 in my mexico ramcharger... that gave it some serious balls  :evil6:

it was not cheap, and maybe not real practical... but man its fun  :great:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

bullboy0852

I want the slant six for fuel economy, back and forth to work, just a bare bones truck that can sit in Houston for months on end gettin blasted by salt. Its killin the R/Cs hood

bullboy0852

Been checking out lockers any suggestions? Gotta see what axle and ratio i have when i get home.

bullboy0852

Got the steering shaft on, new distributor tomorrow before i head out. Having serious troubleshooting issues with a random intermittent non-start type problem. Sometimes it cranks and will shut straight down. Sometimes it wont run at all. Sometimes it'll go 400 miles no problem. Its driving me nuts.

crazzywolfie

have you checked the ballast resister? almost sounding like what is wrong with it.

bullboy0852

Nah, never dealt with one before. Looks brand new though. Is there a way to test it?

SixGun

They are only a couple of bucks. If that's not it you have a spare.

What time are you gonna be at HF?
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket