News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

87 towcharger possibly

Started by bullboy0852, April 23, 2015, 07:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullboy0852

Well i picked up another R/C yesterday and unbeknownst to the seller its a 360, not the 318 he thought. Only 2wd so im thinkin suspension upgrades and some restoration, have a clean tow vehicle for making these trips.

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

bullboy0852

Question though, it has a factory modification sticker that says "vapor lock/fuel foaming pkg". What is this?

ProjectPW

Quote from: bullboy0852 on April 23, 2015, 07:32:15 AM
Question though, it has a factory modification sticker that says "vapor lock/fuel foaming pkg". What is this?

Very likely a heat shield package for the carb and fuel supply line on the engine
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

taz_man440

Gotta love an original...  Now make it cool..lol. Good score....
2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

rjtx667

looks cool... just be sure to upgrade the right stuff if your going to tow with it. 1/2 tons are a little iffy on suspension and brakes for towing these big rigs.

I did max upgrades on my brakes (disk all around)... I did the power stop slotted and drilled rotors with carbon ceramic pads. It stops great on its own, but its still a lot to stop with a 7k lbs loaded trailer. I plan to make my trail have dual axle brakes vs the single axle right now as well.

As for the suspension... 1/2 just can't really take the tongue weight needed for the right balance and level. I ended up doing air bags, and they work great  :great:

take it slow and have fun with it.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

taz_man440

Totally agree on trailer brakes & air bags.  I had to have air bags on my 2006 Quad cab just to make the fishtail go away...
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

bullboy0852

Yah im gonna look for a dual axle and air bag it. Run 20s with a big brake kit

taz_man440

I have 20's on my 06 Quad...  that adds to towing problems in my opinion.  16"-18" tires tow so much better...  Add the short wheel base of the ramcharger, its gonna get fishy.... I Have towed my 20' deck trailer with a ramcharger before.  No matter how I loaded it, it would make me nervous.   This is a pic of the ramcharger I towed with... 440 powered, i sure miss that toy...
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

bullboy0852

Yah im gonna use uhaul for now, later gonna build a trailer like the uhaul that was a smooth pull on that 04 yota tundra. 75 all the way from bryan.

bullboy0852

Got this beast shredded, gotta finish pulling the engine, tranny, and cab, then the rebuilding begins. Gonna go 4x4 so the lil lady can play too, this one won't be streetable, course that's the plan and its like plan c or d not sure lol. Just having fun with it and teaching Tosh the mechanics and functions. She's learning quick.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

bullboy0852

ProjectM880

Looks like one hell of a project! If your going to convert it to 4x4 look at Jungles hardware on RCC.

:thumbsup:

bullboy0852

Yah I've been checking his stuff out, think I'll build some of it myself and supplement the rest with jungle

bullboy0852

Ok, scrapping this project buying a fuel injected Dakota with the magnum and 4x4, any money i can get out of this truck would be helpful so if anyone needs parts off it before I haul it over the scales let me know, very reasonable on prices, scales won't bring a lotta money either but I'd rather someone else use the parts if they need em. Engine and transmission need rebuild, rear axle is good, both side glass are good and still attached, all the panels are good, doors are good, manual windows. Let me know asap, prolly hauling it off tomorrow but I'll hold what ya want