News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Project Keystone: Declassified

Started by KeystoneSmooth, October 14, 2015, 04:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeystoneSmooth

Many of you may not be aware of what was brewing, pun intended, in ole Wimberley, Texas.  ::) About three years ago I was invited to tag along at Marble Falls Adventure Park with some members here, and really get my first taste of real rocks with real repercussions; I was fortunate to be riding in a well built machine, and certainly enjoyed the experience. Two years ago I was somehow talked into the notion that I was in need of a 4x4 trail rig to keep up with some buddies and this love of "wheelin". After many a humbugs, ehhs, ahhs, maybe's, and tomorrows, an ad on Craigslist appeared, and lo and behold, it was in Wimberley, our backyard. We loaded up and went searching the backroads for this elixir. We found it, guarded by quite the collection of characters, beaten, bruised, broken in many areas, doors falling off, engine sputtering and burning whatever poor oil was still there. A handshake later, it was mine, and we awaited delivery a few days later. While questioning this purchase, the RamCharger was delivered from a flat pull across town. Needless to say the brakes were on fire, and as the smoke dissipated, we were left with what was really in front of us....the greatest vehicle on earth. Keystone, as it was later dubbed for obvious reasons, (if its not obvious its not for you) would soon come to symbolize the true underdog, which certainly saw its fair share of usage on the Hook of Shame. You may ask yourself, well, why didn't you drag this poor molested vehicle back into the wilderness and put it out of its misery? Because, despite being bone stock, floating on old tires with questionable (at best) brakes Keystone went just about everywhere and anywhere you could point it. Numerous attempts and trips were made with a goal to simply break parts; all of which failed.  :dontknow:

Pictures of some of the first runs and Marble Falls are attached. Fortunately, after two years of parts accumulations and innumerable man-hours from friends with the DodgeSickness, Keystone is on the way up.  :confused2:

Pictures of the transformation to come soon.  :headbang:
1985 RamCharger Prospector Ed.
The rest is open to interpretation.
Keystone Smooth.

ProjectM880

I'm Not sure sure what's better. The build post with pictures or the elaborate orgins story that was so eloquently written. Maybe the myth and legend are one in the same...... Or maybe it's putting lipstick on a pig?

:thumbsup:

rjtx667

Quote from: ProjectM880 on October 15, 2015, 10:45:52 AM
Or maybe it's putting lipstick on a pig?

:thumbsup:

Talking about keystone or lance there?  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

KeystoneSmooth

After a long weekend, new axels, new wheels, new tires, new springs are installed, and Oh My. Went from a 6 Pack, to a 6 Pack of Tall Boys. :)

Drive shifts will be ordered this weekend!

More work to be done this weekend as well, updates to follow!
Keystone Smooth.

bullboy0852

Maybe you should become a writer full time, you'd still get to work at home in your underwear lol

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

SixGun

:laughing4:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

KeystoneSmooth

Hmmmm....yep bigger than before.  :tard:
Keystone Smooth.

SixGun

Yep Troxell Automotive is building some monsters  :headbang:

KeystoneSmooth

Fuel Cell and general reorganization of the rear compartment to come soon. Just in time to measure for drive shafts.  :steeringwheel: :confused2: :violent1: :icon_salut:

Any tips and tricks known for popping the rear windows out while leaving the inner trim intact?  :dontknow:
Keystone Smooth.

bullboy0852

Be pretty tricky to get em out without taking the trim off first. I took the trim off and it was still a pita. That rubber and sealer was ancient and petrified.

taz_man440

A big hammer gets em out quick...lol. Awesome build...  Keep it up!!
2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

KeystoneSmooth

I am most afraid of a tree limb swinging into one and leaving the trail full of glass. Maybe they will be coming out soon.  :violent1:
Keystone Smooth.

SixGun

Glass on the trail is good for traction :tongue3:

bullboy0852

Nah ask Ernest it comes into the truck none on the trail

ProjectM880

After some recon I can neither confirm nor deny that progress has been made in the top secret project code named : Keystone !