News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

87 Ramcharger Ignition key stuck, wont start it but turns battery on.

Started by cullenosborne, March 25, 2016, 01:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cullenosborne

hey guys, first time posting. i have an 87 ramcharger with a 360 and last night i went wheeling with a buddy of mine. when i got home it was almost impossible to turn the key into the off position. Through a little extra M. A. N. i was able to turn it off but when i got up this morning to go to work i couldnt get the ignition into the start position. I can turn the battery on but thats how far it goes and the key is also stuck into the ignition and wont come out. i can see the rod on the column moving but it seems like its stuck. Any ideas would be much appreciated  :13:
would rather push my ramcharger than drive a bronco

SixGun

I had something similar happen on my 85 RC.  Key would not turn forward when I first bought it. I sprayed WD 40 and lightly tapped the key into the cylinder.  A pin or something was stuck inside. It turned forward after working it like that a few times.

Hope this helps.

If this doesn't work, inspect the switch on the lower column to be sure nothing is binding.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

cullenosborne

Quote from: SixGun on March 25, 2016, 09:32:18 PM
I had something similar happen on my 85 RC.  Key would not turn forward when I first bought it. I sprayed WD 40 and lightly tapped the key into the cylinder.  A pin or something was stuck inside. It turned forward after working it like that a few times.

Hope this helps.

If this doesn't work, inspect the switch on the lower column to be sure nothing is binding.
OK so I got to take a look at it today and it's actually the actuator rod, it ended up disconnected somehow. I can't get it connected because the gear housing (I think is what it's called) is in the way. I can't find anywhere in the manual on how to remove the housing or replace the actuator rod. Any clue on how to do that?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

SixGun

Do you have tilt steering?

Can you take a pic of what's in the way?

cullenosborne

Ya I have tilt steering the housing to the right of my finger is in the way of the linkage between the lock cylinder and rod

cullenosborne

And I can pull the rod and start the truck so I know it works and isn't stuck.

cullenosborne

Update: talked to a guy who works on columns and he said either need to get in there with a flat head or take the upper housing off. Shouldn't have to pull the gear housing

SixGun