News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

MOAB

Started by KeystoneSmooth, June 12, 2016, 09:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeystoneSmooth

http://www.discovermoab.com/fourwheel.htm

Helpful layout. I also have a note in to the info center there about "overlanding" and / or camping on the trail, as well as availability for the parking of tow rigs at the trail entrances.
1985 RamCharger Prospector Ed.
The rest is open to interpretation.
Keystone Smooth.

rjtx667

some of us don't really have the option to drive from camp to the trail. unless its not far away... my 35-40 mph limit would not allow me to get there very fast.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Quote from: rjtx667 on June 29, 2016, 09:36:11 AM
some of us don't really have the option to drive from camp to the trail. unless its not far away... my 35-40 mph limit would not allow me to get there very fast.

We will plan for no more than 5-10 miles from camp.... not sure if it is possible but we will see... regardless your RC will be fine we will all be around 40-50mph tops and the locals are used to 4x4s on the road
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

KeystoneSmooth

Agreed. I will continue to ask about drop off spots, as to be honest, getting Keystone in "inspect able" condition may be cost prohibitive as opposed to more effort in terms of getting to a from camp.
Keystone Smooth.

rjtx667

inspectable condition is not that hard to do really. its old enough you don't have to worry about emissions... my 93 ... hmm I might barely be out of the emissions requirements I think its 23 years!!!

But mainly its lights, brakes, and parking brake. I need to tweak my parking brake a bit more otherwise I won't have an issue.

Y'all might think I am crazy, but anytime I go off roading I put liability only insurance on the 93 for a month. Just in case I have issues and damage something besides my truck. Better safe than sorry. It will certainly have it for the whole time we are on the trip.

as soon as we figure out the exact dates and where we want to stay I will be sure to call and book a cabin
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

KeystoneSmooth

I unfortunately will probably just shoot for towing Keystone to the front of each trail, unless divine providence steps in; going to try and focus on actually surviving the trip.
Keystone Smooth.

ProjectM880

Quote from: KeystoneSmooth on July 03, 2016, 09:11:04 PM
I unfortunately will probably just shoot for towing Keystone to the front of each trail, unless divine providence steps in; going to try and focus on actually surviving the trip.

Set it up for a tow bar.

ProjectPW

Quote from: KeystoneSmooth on July 03, 2016, 09:11:04 PM

maybe a very large drone....???
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

KeystoneSmooth

Very neat elevation route calculate attached.

Used it to check the ideal route. It looks like it would be Texas to Albuquerque, and then to Moab. I calculated lots of options. Its the shortest on time, distance, and the easiest with concern to elevation.
Keystone Smooth.

KeystoneSmooth

Check out the attached PDF
Keystone Smooth.

KeystoneSmooth

For those that are truly serious about this trip, it will certainly involve more than our 4x4s and tow rigs.

In further reviewing the route and elevation changes, it looks like those from the south are planning on hitting Lubbock, then Amarillo, and to Albuquerque in Day 1. Leaving Friday night, April the 31st 2017, that would probably put us in Albuquerque Saturday in time to find food and sleep. Sunday on to Moab. I was thinking of mixing in a rest / exploring day at Arches State Park which is close. Thoughts? 
Keystone Smooth.

inzane

If you guys are going to Lubbock I'd suggest 84 to Clovis and Ft. Sumner, pick up I-40 at Clines Corner and on into Albuquerque. Shaves off almost 100 miles, 263 miles from Lubbock to Clines Corner vs. 350 miles going through Amarillo. Most of it is farm land and plains.

inzane

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express just off Eubank Blvd, although there are more economical options.
Not knowing the area, we didn't want to come out in the morning and find the stereo gone so we avoided those. Took I-25 N to 550, then up to Bloomfield, Farmington, Shiprock and on up north.
Another 375 miles or so from Albuquerque to Moab. There ain't much of squat up 550 between Rio Rancho and Bloomfield, make sure you have plenty of fuel.
Wish we could tag along, but unless something gives by then there just ain't no way.

rjtx667

Thanks for the tips inzane
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins