News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

crazzywolfie's 89RC

Started by crazzywolfie, August 21, 2016, 02:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

well since i think i plan on keeping this thing i figure i should start a thread for it. on sunday i check out this 89 RC and on tuesday i was dragging it home. it needs a good cleaning but is pretty solid for a vehicle around here. so far i have washed it off, replaced some brake lines and got it running fairly reliably but still got a bit more work ahead of me. i still have to replace the fuel pump, windshield, tires, fuel lines and who knows what else. i don't have my plans for it 100% worked out yet but the main goal is to get it back on the road so that i can enjoy it for the rest of the summer.  current setup is 318/727/NP241/3.21 on 33's. only thing that might change is the 33's. i might cheap out for the time being and run the old tires off my 93 ramcharger which will look a bit funny but keeping the cost down until get it to where i feel a bit more comfortable spending good money on it

SixGun

Real nice Mat.   Just in time for the winter snow.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

thanks. lol i won't be driving this thing in the winter. i might even see about renting an indoor storage unit of some sort to store it in over the winter so i can keep the snow off it and work on it at the same time                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

crazzywolfie

finally feel like i am starting to get somewhere with this thing a bit. got all the rusty brake lines replaced and bled. replaced the fuel pump and the main fuel line. i also got the interior cleaned out which made it look way better. things still need to be wiped down and steam cleaned since it has carpet flooring and material seats but it will look and smell way better once that is done. i am hoping to get plates on it tomorrow or Saturday but we will see what happens. still need to replace the wiper motor and windshield washer fluid pump since both seem like they are not working but it is pretty minor for the most part.

SixGun

crazzywolfie

yup. been very busy lately. spent most of sunday working on it. has all new main fuel lines, new washer fluid pump and used wiper motor. i also removed the power door lock actuators and inspected the passenger side power window motor. don't know why the motor is not working but it looks in good shape. it seems to run and drive pretty good but have stumbled accross 1 pretty big issue. the transmission has no 2nd gear and i think it might just be cheaper to get it rebuilt instead of just replacing the band. i was pointing the temp gun at the transmission pan and it said it was running at 220*F which is a bit high. i am thinking about sticking a 180*thermostat in the engine and see if it helps. it couldn't hurt. i am hoping to get the oil changed on it tomorrow but we will see. i gave it to my dad to see if the shop has any time to squeeze it for the free oil change using the coupon i have.

SixGun

How long has it been out of commission?  Trans fluid might be moosh.

crazzywolfie

it hadn't been plated since 2009 according to the sticker that was on it. i haven't dropped the pan or changed the filter but the fluid is very fresh. the 1 transmission line developed a leak and it leaked lots of fluid out. i am pretty sure no damage was done from the leak but it help me change out most of the fluid. my dad also got the oil changed on it the other day and Canadian tire said it was safe for the road other than the tires and the door hinges needing to be oiled which i was happy to hear

crazzywolfie

well i took it to a shop to see what they thought it would need and the shop was pretty impressed with it for its age. it still needs a lower balljoint, some minor rust taken care of, the windshield replaced and the brake/fuel lines secured better. i figure that is a pretty small list. i think there is also a leaking rear axle seal but as long as no fluid comes out i am not going to tell the shop. i ordered new seals for it but i want to get this thing on the road asap. i will feel a lot more comfortable sinking money into this thing once i get it on the road.

SixGun

crazzywolfie

thanks. i have been pushing to try getting it fixed as quick as possible. i have even thought about dropping it off at my dads place just so that i can get the rust repair done while i am at work lol. almost been so busy working that i am having a hard time getting anything done. the shorter days don't help much either.

SixGun

Sounds like you have been working full time now. 

Ahhh... the challenge.  More hours worked = more money but more hours worked = less time to work on vehicle. LOL

Does your Dad do body work?  That would be a definite plus.

crazzywolfie

ya. i have been working full time for about 4 month now. it is definitely making it hard to work on the thing but it will help pay for the work that it needs. i was pushing myself to get stuff done when i first got it but i started running out of steam. even the other night i ended up sleeping for nearly 12 hours.

ya he use to when he was in better shape. he is still willing to help out a bit here and there when he is feeling like it. i am pretty sure he would definitely be willing to do a bit of work on it so that he has something nice to drive when his ford breaks down again.

crazzywolfie

i am getting a bit tired of being dirty but so close to re-assembling the hub. should look real nice when i am done. brand new ball joints and universal joints

SixGun

Lol, front axles are a PITA.