News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RAMM'D 150

Started by SixGun, September 25, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

that is why i like the way my 81 sits. the back end is so high that it probably takes about 3-4000lbs to make it sit level and you would probably break a leaf before getting the back end to squat

that is a pretty cool looking wheel barrel.

SixGun

I backed into his driveway at an incline so I really didn't notice it till I got home. It drove fine going down the freeway and all. I guess heavier loads should really be on a trailer. I've been thinking about going to a d250 rear leaf pack. It will probably take a couple more loads like this to get the depth like I want it. There a bit of a trench where I buried the retaining wall. I'll post some pics in a few days.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

SixGun

Cactus garden in the works.

rjtx667

thats looking good.

And you just have to be careful however you carry a load like that. Most single axle trailers only have 3500 lbs axles (if that) under them and then you have to subtract the weight of the axle.

My bumper pull car hauler only has 2 x3500 lbs axles, but it weights 2k so max weight on it is 5k lbs. Where as my gooseneck has 2 7k lbs axles and it weights 4800lbs so it can do 8200lbs.

If you think about it a 3/4 ton truck is only meant to carry 1500lbs of weight. That goes real fast when you haul construction stuff!!
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

So they say a picture is worth a 1,000 words

9-1/4 limited slip  3.21

crazzywolfie

is that for carter since you already have a locker in your current axle?

SixGun

Thinking about changing directions with the Ram. HD master cylinder and dual diaphragm booster are waiting to be installed.  HD axle now with a little better highway gears. 3" cummins single exhaust
waiting to go on. Did you see the crane Lol.

The 8-1/4 with locker can go on the 76.  Jeeps use them all the time so you never know.  I figure a few beads on the axle tubes where they meet the housing to keep them from twisting and possibly a truss. Plus I have a spare set of axles from Carter's 8-1/4 if I break one.  The extra open 9-1/4 can be backup.

rjtx667

keep going... you are going to have as many spare parts as Noah soon. I am sadly not far being him either. lol
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Starting to get used to my new welder.  I've learned to turn the heat down considerably from the recommended settings to get some cleaner welds.

Working on a 3" exhaust. 

ProjectPW

Lookin good ... new sound coming soon eh?
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

SixGun

Just waiting on 3 ft of 3" straight pipe.  O'Reillys should have it in today, fingers crossed.

SixGun

3" exhaust using Hooker Aerochamber muffler and Magnaflow performance cat, thanks Ryan. Used a Walker 3" diesel tail pipe. Sounds real nice but I had a couple of issues to contend with.  Since this was a driveway job, I had a hell of a time welding up the top of the pipes and the inside of the pipes to a lesser degree.  So I broke down and dropped the exhaust pipe. Minor headache but I found a major leak. There was a triangle shaped hole by the oxygen sensor bung.  Used to be a tab there to line up the pipe going to the cat.  Maybe the exhaust shop last time broke or cut it out... I dunno.  Anyway, I cut a triangle piece of scrap and welded her up.  No more leak. You can see that I was having a hell of a time welding up the pipe on the transmission pan side of the Y pipe compared to the outside. LOL  I still have a leak either at the cone where the Y pipe connects or under the exhaust manifold at the back cylinder.  Burned out gasket maybe?

crazzywolfie

looks good.  also you could have probably just welded up that triangle hole without the patch . i know sometimes you almost need to see certain welding trick before using them but you can weld back and forth or around small holes like that to cover them.

SixGun

I thought about that but a couple of things came to mind. 
First, I'm using some thinner wire this go round, Hobart .030.
Second, I had some scrap triangles laying around. Using my handy dandy bolt cutters, I nipped a little corner off one and it literally fit perfectly on the first shot. 
Third, I thought about the structural integrity and accidentally getting slag in the pipe.

crazzywolfie

i wouldn't have worried about it especially with how small the hole was. i have welded up larger holes than that with 0.30 wire on my welder. exhaust pipe is pretty thick. i have chopped and welded my exhaust a few times and the welds always hold up.