News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

crack in rad support

Started by crazzywolfie, October 08, 2012, 07:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minionsram

Quote from: crazzywolfie on October 16, 2012, 12:19:13 PM
i just know it is suppose to stop the crack from getting longer. i don't know if the heat has anything to do with it. i know i am going to have to lay a couple spot welds before i even attempt to drill just to make sure things don't get worse.
Heat does strange things to thin steel. I am only throwing my 2 cents out there from my years of working for a custom fabrication shop as a fabricator and machinist.  It don't always run or crack more but it won't run for sure if you drill it. If the crack is real long drilling the ends and a couple of spot tacks spaced evenly apart is a must. Don't forget to weld both sides if possible.
!985 W350. 360, 727, 241 44hd front and 60 rear
1990 w150 RC 360 518 2 inches of lift
83, 90, 89, 86 RC's in yard for parts
2001 Ram 5 speed regular cab short box project.
96 Jeep Cherokee (wifes)

crazzywolfie

with how much rust there is and the way the weather has been i think i may just swap rad supports and grills with my 91. winter is on the way.

crazzywolfie

well i decided to try breaking the bolts free but had no luck. i think i might have to get my dad to come over with his snap on ratchet to break them loose or snap them trying. it really seems to be a 2 person job. someone to hold the wrench while someone turns the ratchet.

rjtx667

Quote from: crazzywolfie on October 17, 2012, 09:26:31 PM
well i decided to try breaking the bolts free but had no luck. i think i might have to get my dad to come over with his snap on ratchet to break them loose or snap them trying. it really seems to be a 2 person job. someone to hold the wrench while someone turns the ratchet.

I know that feeling after dealing with the bolts on the rear leaf springs. I ended up having to cut most of them away 5/8" grade 8 (even 20 years old and rusted) is very hard stuff.

Good luck
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

thanks. i don't think i will be cutting the bolts. i know there is not enough room to hit them from the bottom. not sure if there is enough room to hit them with a grinder on top. i think i will either break them free or snap them trying. a nice 1/2" snap on ratchet just makes things easier but a cheater bar might be used.

rjtx667

Quote from: crazzywolfie on October 18, 2012, 09:11:53 AM
thanks. i don't think i will be cutting the bolts. i know there is not enough room to hit them from the bottom. not sure if there is enough room to hit them with a grinder on top. i think i will either break them free or snap them trying. a nice 1/2" snap on ratchet just makes things easier but a cheater bar might be used.

I had a 1/2 snap on breaker bar with a 2' cheater bar on it. I was bouncing my whole body off the sucker and the spring bolts did not even budge!!!!

The core support on the 91 and 92 were both a lot easier than that, I don't think it will be too bad for you.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

ya. i managed to break them both loose the only thing that sucks is there was a bit more rust than i thought there was and i think i have no choice but to swap with my 91. my rad support is in real bad shape. i took the bolt and a lot of metal/rust came out with it.

80W150

Hey, how long are those bolts? I bought a body bushing kit for my 77 and none of the bolts were the same length. I know they're 1/2" but don't really have a clue on what would be close to proper length. Obviously someone has played in there before. ::) I had the front clip off not only to pull engine/trans but the frame had to be plated and welded. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chuck

crazzywolfie

In my opinion the bolts are too long. I just got my first minor injury while trying to get the rad support bolts out on my 91.  I might be able to measure the bolts when I get home.

crazzywolfie

the bolt i removed from the rad support in my 81 is 2 3/4" long.

i had no luck getting the rad support out of my 91. i took out all the bolts but i guess i have to take the hood and fenders off to get the rad support out. hoping to get my dads help since he now has his truck back.

rjtx667

I have seen people do it without taking the fenders off, but you do have to unbolt the fenders.

Anytime I have done it I have taken the fenders and hood off.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

well from the sounds of it i will be getting my dads help tomorrow so we will be able to get the hood and fenders off. i just have not been able to see how to slide the rad support out without taking at least 1 fender off.

crazzywolfie

with my dads help we had the rad support out in less than 30 minutes. since it took almost no time at all and we were there anyway i decide to pick up another upgrade for my 81 since it was just sitting there in my 91 not being used.

rjtx667

Quote from: crazzywolfie on October 22, 2012, 01:45:40 PM
with my dads help we had the rad support out in less than 30 minutes. since it took almost no time at all and we were there anyway i decide to pick up another upgrade for my 81 since it was just sitting there in my 91 not being used.

why is the 91 just sitting there?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

because emissions testing and lots of rust. it has all the same rust sixgun's truck has over the windshield. needs a cab mount and and drivers side floor pan. plus i also screwed the engine. the old oil pan had a good hole in it and i didn't realize till it was too late and it had already started to develop what sound like a rod knock. any vehicle 88 and newer will require emission test. i could not get the original v6 engine to run right so i swapped to the 318 and never really got to finishing it. since i got the RC the 91 has pretty much became a parts truck since i can't work on all 3. i am having difficulty just keeping up the maintenance on 1 let alone all 3. lately i have been thinking about just stripping it for parts and scrap what i can't cut up and use.