News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

custom gauge cluster - ideas???

Started by MeMopar, March 22, 2014, 05:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeMopar

I am about to start fabricating my cluster. What I have thought about is to place tach in the center and split the other six, three on each side (volt, water temp, oil press, vacuum, fuel level, and fuel pressure). However, I want to install several toggle switches for the fan, fuel pump, lights, fog lamps, etc... I had thought about using the spot where the indicators from the tbi were (the black square above the a/c controller), but I want to install my cb radio and my VHF/UHF radio as well, so I guess I have no space in the dash, and have no option but making an overhead console...

What do y'all think? Can I put both my radios in the current dashboard? Do you have pics of something similar? If you lean towards the overhead console, how would you build it? Any pics or ideas?

Thanks for the comments

SixGun

You didn't mention a speedometer. :dontknow:

I can't wait to see how it turns out.  :happy1:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

The War Wagon

Quote from: MeMopar on March 22, 2014, 05:50:14 PM
I am about to start fabricating my cluster. What I have thought about is to place tach in the center and split the other six, three on each side (volt, water temp, oil press, vacuum, fuel level, and fuel pressure). However, I want to install several toggle switches for the fan, fuel pump, lights, fog lamps, etc... I had thought about using the spot where the indicators from the tbi were (the black square above the a/c controller), but I want to install my cb radio and my VHF/UHF radio as well, so I guess I have no space in the dash, and have no option but making an overhead console...

What do y'all think? Can I put both my radios in the current dashboard? Do you have pics of something similar? If you lean towards the overhead console, how would you build it? Any pics or ideas?

Thanks for the comments

I personally LOVE the dash cluster of the pre-80 Ramchargers, with all its analog guages.  WERE you to fab up a dashboard to the same dimensions as the '91-'93 dash though, you should have NO problems getting all your radios in the dash.  Once you eliminate that "info center" (which becomes utterly USELESS once you re-plumb your truck completely.  It's juts a Christmas Tree in MY truck now!  ::) ) above the climate controls, you have PLENTY of room!

Can't remember which transmission you have - might have to move your O/D button.  ANOTHER thought: make ALL your switches, TOGGLE switches!  Climate controls, headlights, EVERYTHING.  Maybe building a custom console between the center seat console and the dash - like these guys build - http://www.classictruckconsoles.com/47-59consolebenchbucketoverhead.htm - MIGHT be the place to put radios (as in cop cars), and perhaps a couple of gauges and/or toggle switches - and free up your dash for other things.  I've LONG thought about the custom console myself, having an automatic.  Would be tough for a FULL consoole with a 4spd/5spd, though...  :confused2:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

The War Wagon

Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

SixGun

I really like the idea of the floor console. If I remember correctly, he has a stick but it could still work.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

MeMopar

Quote from: SixGun on March 22, 2014, 06:36:40 PM
You didn't mention a speedometer. :dontknow:

I can't wait to see how it turns out.  :happy1:

No speedo. I wanted one at first, but I've come to the conclusion I won't need one, because I highly doubt I am able to hit 50+ with this tall rig...

As soon as I start with it, I'll post pics here

MeMopar

Quote from: The War Wagon on March 22, 2014, 07:24:38 PM
I personally LOVE the dash cluster of the pre-80 Ramchargers, with all its analog guages.  WERE you to fab up a dashboard to the same dimensions as the '91-'93 dash though, you should have NO problems getting all your radios in the dash.  Once you eliminate that "info center" (which becomes utterly USELESS once you re-plumb your truck completely.  It's juts a Christmas Tree in MY truck now!  ::) ) above the climate controls, you have PLENTY of room!

Can't remember which transmission you have - might have to move your O/D button.  ANOTHER thought: make ALL your switches, TOGGLE switches!  Climate controls, headlights, EVERYTHING.  Maybe building a custom console between the center seat console and the dash - like these guys build - http://www.classictruckconsoles.com/47-59consolebenchbucketoverhead.htm - MIGHT be the place to put radios (as in cop cars), and perhaps a couple of gauges and/or toggle switches - and free up your dash for other things.  I've LONG thought about the custom console myself, having an automatic.  Would be tough for a FULL consoole with a 4spd/5spd, though...  :confused2:

I have not seen any of those pre-80s dashboards... But I have already bought all my instruments from Autometer, so I guess a design like that won't work.

From the info center, I will only keep the 4x4 activated light, and might as well place it somewhere else (I have manual hubs in my front axle)... I might as well free up some space by removing the a/c controller, because I removed the a/c compressor an lines...

I am running with a stick tranny: NP435, so o/d button will be deleted....

I like the idea of putting toggle switches for everything, but I still have to figure out how to use toggles for headlamps, interior lights and some other stuff...

Those consoles look great... I have to give them some thoughts

Thanks for the ideas... Keep' em comin'

taz_man440

These days what's the need for a spedo when most everybody has a GPS anyway...
2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project