December 14, 2018, 04:25:58 pm

News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.


Welcome back Carter

Started by SixGun, June 06, 2014, 11:21:30 pm

previous topic - next topic

SixGun

June 06, 2014, 11:21:30 pm Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 11:24:58 pm by SixGun
Ha ha... I know its different but you'll see why in a moment. 

Well before you say it, What another 2WD??
Call me crazy but it was cool and a good deal at $600.  I figure on a daily driver or flip.

Its not home yet but let me tell you about Carter.  Literally bought off a Lil ole lady (72 years old). It was her husbands truck and he passed away. He was the original owner and it had 80k on the odometer. Interior is in pretty good shape with a small tear in drivers seat and headliner sagging. It will need some good cleaning though since it had insulation stored inside. Itchy stuff. There are running boards and good tires but ugly rims. There is a tow hitch in back and up front more goodies. Fairly new aftermarket radiator, flex fan, dual electric fans and a tranny cooler. Check out the motor. Aha.. There's Carter, Carter AFB!!  Hmmm...nice Mopar Performance valve covers. Looks like an aluminum intake also. There is dual exhaust too.  Sure would be nice if it was a 360.  Even a built 318 would be nice. I couldn't climb under comfortably since it was in the middle of a briar patch. Stickers for any dumb sunsabitches. Tall weeds, chiggers and snakes oh my.  Unfortunately no keys so door locks and ignition cylinder will need to be changed. Supposedly it was parked for a bad freeze plug. Hatch needs struts too.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

cool. i wish i could find deals like that up here. my 81 cost me $500 but i had to put another $1000 into it plus a crap load of labor to get it on the road.

ProjectPW

I like it  :great:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

The War Wagon

QuoteWelcome back Carter





Is that the Boston/New England pronunciation?  So it sounds like, "Welcome Back, Kotter?" 
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

SixGun

Only if you call the carb Kotter AFB.  :laughing7:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

workgoats

I had a backup light like that once.  Somewhere there's a bumper with a bent hole where I drove it into the ground.

SixGun

June 08, 2014, 09:48:21 am #6 Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:56:23 am by SixGun
It just has that old school cool factor that I can't put my finger on for any one thing.  She told me that her husband was a mechanic.  Hoping for some stealth items.  The weeds were pretty tall and she warned me about rattlesnakes. One apparently killed her dog. I  was able to see dual exhaust with what reminded me of those old school Thrush tin can mufflers with separate pipes all the way.  The build options sticker showed 318 2v 8.25 axle with 3.23 gears but who knows for sure. Definitely set up for towing so hopefully he changed a few things.  Rear axle swap with some lower gears would be easy enough. Going for simple and clean. I've got a tow set up for Monday and off on Tues. Fun fun fun...

Here's a couple of pics the grandson sent me.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

just hook a chain to the sway bar and drag it to somewhere safer to work on it or bring your lawn mower and cut yourself a path.

The War Wagon

Quote from: SixGun on June 08, 2014, 09:48:21 am
It just has that old school cool factor that I can't put my finger on for any one thing.  She told me that her husband was a mechanic.  Hoping for some stealth items.  The weeds were pretty tall and she warned me about rattlesnakes. One apparently killed her dog. I  was able to see dual exhaust with what reminded me of those old school Thrush tin can mufflers with separate pipes all the way.  The build options sticker showed 318 2v 8.25 axle with 3.23 gears but who knows for sure. Definitely set up for towing so hopefully he changed a few things.  Rear axle swap with some lower gears would be easy enough. Going for simple and clean. I've got a tow set up for Monday and off on Tues. Fun fun fun...

Here's a couple of pics the grandson sent me.



4.56's and no lift will go well, but if I had to do it again, I'd of gone 4.88's on mine!  At least with a Dana 44 front.


Get something with a bumper like mine; get up behind it and PUSH it to pavement!
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

SixGun

When i went to go look at it, I took my little Matrix and we walked down into the field.  It was hot as heck and a pretty good drive at rush hour. I was thinking of taking my RAM this time and hooking up a strap and pulling it to safe ground near the International.  Mainly for the tow truck to hook up the back end. That way he can back  it in nose first in my driveway. It is down on a little flat area backed up against a ravine and its a pretty good drop. Not to mention that it poured rain today. Probably muddy as hell. 

Hmmm......mud you say.  :tongue3:

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectM880

I see you found some motivation!!

I guess Noah and I won't be seeing you Tuesday! 

crazzywolfie

sounds like a good chance to test out your winch  :thumbsup:

SixGun

Quote from: ProjectM880 on June 08, 2014, 05:46:16 pm
I see you found some motivation!!

I guess Noah and I won't be seeing you Tuesday!


I was really looking forward to meeting up with you guys. Yolanda told me to go. That truck will still be there when you get back.  We'll see but it will be hard to ignore the new toy in the driveway. To tow it doesn't the tranny need to be in neutral? No keys remember.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on June 08, 2014, 09:33:10 pm
I was really looking forward to meeting up with you guys. Yolanda told me to go. That truck will still be there when you get back.  We'll see but it will be hard to ignore the new toy in the driveway. To tow it doesn't the tranny need to be in neutral? No keys remember.


Just pull the rear drive shaft so you can tow it. Or Break the steering column so you can shift it into Neutral  :dance:

Well feel free to come up to Noah's shop if you want, But I completely understand wanting to play with the new toy!!  :steeringwheel:

crazzywolfie

i figure the tow truck could lift up the rear axle. if all else does fail there is 2 bolts that hold the shifter linkage bracket to the frame. if you loosen it and remove the c clip you should be able to manually put the transmission in neutral.