November 18, 2018, 07:36:25 pm

News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.


help me build my 408 stroker

Started by Dracen, November 06, 2015, 12:27:59 am

previous topic - next topic

ProjectPW

Both will be very street able with awesome torque

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

ProjectPW

New valve Springs that match the cam are required

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

ProjectPW

I would also have your builder install the cam and properly degree it.... it is very very important. . Valve to piston clearance also needs to verified to avoid disasters on start up. These two steps CANNOT BE SKIPPED!

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

bullboy0852

Does the magnum have rocker studs or shaft? If it's shaft check the rockers, mine had about the same mileage and had grooves cut in the sides from the spacer\washer which did not allow the rocker to open or close fully and killed my cam quickly.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

ProjectPW

Quote from: bullboy0852 on November 07, 2015, 11:51:19 am
Does the magnum have rocker studs or shaft? If it's shaft check the rockers, mine had about the same mileage and had grooves cut in the sides from the spacer\washer which did not allow the rocker to open or close fully and killed my cam quickly.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Magnums are stud mount... the rockers are probably ok.... just check for irregular wear

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

Dracen

I'll look into the cams thanks for the list. I was going to do the main part of the build myself as I'm not sure I will be able to swing the extra $700 the guy wants to put it together. I do have a few local friends that have built motors and I ordered a factory service manual. The more I get into this the more I'm leaning towards having him build it... or ordering a prebuilt drop in...that way all I would have to do is install my intake and bolt it all in place and plug in everything then turn the key and it will run....

ProjectPW

Quote from: Dracen on November 07, 2015, 01:25:23 pm
I'll look into the cams thanks for the list. I was going to do the main part of the build myself as I'm not sure I will be able to swing the extra $700 the guy wants to put it together. I do have a few local friends that have built motors and I ordered a factory service manual. The more I get into this the more I'm leaning towards having him build it... or ordering a prebuilt drop in...that way all I would have to do is install my intake and bolt it all in place and plug in everything then turn the key and it will run....

Just keep in mind that the factory pcm tune will only keep up with a stock motor... it will likely start and run...how well depends on the build... my advice is to go with a very mild camshaft profile if you want any chance of it working with the stock tuning

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

Dracen

Quote from: ProjectPW on November 07, 2015, 01:36:33 pm
Just keep in mind that the factory pcm tune will only keep up with a stock motor... it will likely start and run...how well depends on the build... my advice is to go with a very mild camshaft profile if you want any chance of it working with the stock tuning

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk


I have already been in contact with Hemifever tuning about a tuner for the truck including a custom tune. only planning on runing it on a stock tune to get it runing then oafter that it will be all custom from there.

ProjectPW

Quote from: Dracen on November 07, 2015, 01:42:44 pm
I have already been in contact with Hemifever tuning about a tuner for the truck including a custom tune. only planning on runing it on a stock tune to get it runing then oafter that it will be all custom from there.

Good deal... you may want to discuss what fuel injectors will be needed. The stockers may keep up, but may limit upper rpm performance.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

Dracen

Quote from: ProjectPW on November 07, 2015, 01:54:14 pm
Good deal... you may want to discuss what fuel injectors will be needed. The stockers may keep up, but may limit upper rpm performance.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk


factory injectors for my motor are 19lb (I believe been a while) I already have 24 lb injectors installed.. been running them for a year. The ones I have are pretty much the same as the purple viper injectors. 

I had already ported and polished out the factory intake and TB. Installed a 180 degree T stat, e3 platinum plugs, 8.8mm wires, brass cap and rotor, 24lb fuel injectors, exhaust is factory size but changed (...no clue what all as I bought it done exhaust wise)

ProjectPW

Quote from: Dracen on November 07, 2015, 02:02:29 pm
factory injectors for my motor are 19lb (I believe been a while) I already have 24 lb injectors installed.. been running them for a year. The ones I have are pretty much the same as the purple viper injectors. 

I had already ported and polished out the factory intake and TB. Installed a 180 degree T stat, e3 platinum plugs, 8.8mm wires, brass cap and rotor, 24lb fuel injectors, exhaust is factory size but changed (...no clue what all as I bought it done exhaust wise)

The 24# injectors should keep up fine

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

Dracen

I had an injecter. Quick right after I got the truck so I got all new ones 82nd like this motor build no reason to go stock.

ProjectPW

You really need to call hughes or comp and talk to their tech guys. Remember that if  you use a thicker head gasket for clearance you will need to add the same to the length of the pushrods
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

Dracen

I'm no longer looking at the kit that requires the thicker head gasket. And hard to call at 2am on the weekend. I'm looking at specs ie what's a rv can spec cam?