News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

2X4 Ramcharger Prospector....

Started by Gohot, December 06, 2012, 07:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gohot

A lot of Ramchargers come our way over time, with a lot really too far gone body wise for most skill levels to repair. Body work with a scoush of Bondo is one thing, replacing panels and floors quite another. So that makes for quite a lot of otherwise sound drive train RC's popping up for sale and getting cannibalized. With better or nice examples, all Good to Average going from $2,000 or so to $4-5,000. Some want 4X4 exclusively, and others (Like Me) search out 2X4 models as projects for Muscle Trucks. Mine is an 84 Prospector with the 318 and auto. After mods like a Birdbath hood and nice wheels, headers, manifold and such, it should be quite presentable, and fairly quick as 318's go. I have a 95 Jeep YJ for my 'real' 4X4 off road needs, and really, it is probably a better choice than a Behemoth RC, Blazer or Bronco because of it's small size and weight. Still, I'd like a 'Behemoth' RC, and probably a 70's pop-top version. They have their place, and one of them is frequent stops for fuel...lol.... How many of you would seek out a 2X4 RC...? That's where the Jeep shines sort of... 17-18 mpg, but the RC shines when it's raining for sure, provided you got the pop-top on, or have the one-piece later models. Or for Towing where the additional weight makes for a much better tow vehicle. And even a better dry environment for you audio buffs. We have to face the fact the RC's are a Dead Breed, no longer made, but that's not really such a bad thing for those of us keeping our existing RC's alive with donors. I'll admit, I always liked the Ramcharger over the Blazer or Bronco's, though K5's were cool, and the early Bronco's, the 60's and 70's versions a Prime find. But overall the Ramcharger, in my book had the best looks bar none. There's just something about a nice clean Mopar that stops crowds and admirers in their tracks. So for me, it's 99% of the time been Mopar products exclusively. Well Jeep's now Mopar sort of. I mean they own them and the 'Star' still graces the steering wheel center. :) Now, I just need that Viper motored Motorcycle they made a few years back to be complete.

But for now, my 2X4 is my project, one I'm eager to finish, to get on the road with, maybe even go cross country to Cali to visit friends and relatives for a couple weeks....(probably all I could take of Cali) before hightailing it back to North Carolina, my new, (since 06) home. Gott's keep buying a PowerBall every week, you never know, I might just start collecting Mopars then...:)  :great:

SixGun

Around here, RC 2x4's are easy to come by and pretty reasonable.  I've seen quite a few for less than a grand.

Throw out a few pics if you get a chance.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket