News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

'92 RC restoration/trail rig build (New pics & VIDEOS 7/12/14)

Started by The War Wagon, December 26, 2012, 10:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

Freakin' awesome!   :headbang:

Luckiest bunch of cub scouts ever - I say. 
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

The War Wagon

Not MUCH going on with the RC of late - it's still at Gibbs!

Outside of the shop!

Just accumulating a few odds and ends on the side - got the stereo/6 cd changer unit from a fellow XK owner, so I have a stereo for it now!

Already have an amp and speakers!

The cb rig will be the main thing in this build though.  ;D

Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

rjtx667

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

you definitely have to post some pictures of that stereo after you install it. might be a upgrade worth trying.

The War Wagon

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll... 3 mos. later, and my RC's... she's STILL a sittin'...  :(

No news is... NO news.  I'm mostly working on the CB setup for my Jeep at the moment - occasionally picking up CB pieces for the RC, too.  Dave hasn't been able to work her in, amongst all the little projects that keep popping up, SOOOO... until that rear axle ring & pinion swap, Borgeson steering install and other 'miscellany' gets done, it's 'twiddle-my-thumbs' until then...  :-\

On the BRIGHT side, I HAVEN'T had to refill that 34 gal. gas tank - or experience that 5mpg around town - at ALL this summer!  :tongue3:

SixGun

We used to have a saying in the Army, "Hurry up and wait."  Saving on gas means extra money to buy more parts though.   :13:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

Quote from: The War Wagon on August 24, 2013, 07:47:01 AM
5mpg around town

What did you do to that pour truck? 5mpg? I never got that on a bad day. My 92 and the 93 get about 13 in town and if I got a great tail wind can get 17 on the highway but prob closer to 15 most of  the time. :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

The War Wagon

Quote from: rjtx667 on August 24, 2013, 11:21:34 PM
What did you do to that pour truck? 5mpg? I never got that on a bad day. My 92 and the 93 get about 13 in town and if I got a great tail wind can get 17 on the highway but prob closer to 15 most of  the time. :laughing7:

I'm guessing at this point.  I've only put 50 miles on it since we got it running again, and it's been sitting again the last three mos.  It's getting 2,160,000mpg at the moment - tank is still full, and the earth has moved that far since it started sitting again!  :tongue3:

joemouton

Do you happen to have any numbers off that radio that you are plan on using? That think looks sick man, any more progress or still waiting?
84 RC AW100 360/727 4wd

The War Wagon

Quote from: joemouton on October 18, 2013, 01:55:21 PM
Do you happen to have any numbers off that radio that you are plan on using? That think looks sick man, any more progress or still waiting?

The radio is a standard Chrysler/Jeep issue - late 2000's.  Came out of an '07 Jeep Commander.

RC is still sitting at the shop - went by last week and put the new 2014 sticker on the license plate.  :tongue3:  Dave says he's going to get to it... "soon"...  :dontknow:

The War Wagon

UH OH... I just fell in love!!! 

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=category&level0=U21hbGwgQmxvY2sgRG9kZ2UgTWFnbnVtICgzLjkvNS4yLzUuOSk=&level1=SW5kdWN0aW9uIChJbnRha2VzICYgQ29sZCBBaXIgS2l0cyk=&partid=24773

I wanna do a mild cam, lifters, performance PCM & double roller timing chain upgrades next spring anyways - might as well ditch the keg while I'm at it!   :dance:

crazzywolfie

i don't think you would gain anything by spending $600 on a intake. i think you would get more out of buying a set of bosch 4 hole injectors for your truck than you would out of that intake and you can usually get a set of injectors for less than $150

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on October 25, 2013, 10:37:51 PM
i don't think you would gain anything by spending $600 on a intake. i think you would get more out of buying a set of bosch 4 hole injectors for your truck than you would out of that intake and you can usually get a set of injectors for less than $150

BY itself, probably not.  But since I gotta go inside to do the cam & lifters anyways... and as the plenum is a known weak point on the keggers... and as the kegger mod on the OBD1 Magnums requires some effort... this looks like a nice option in a money vs. effort comparison.

A guy here in Pittsburgh turned me on to the Hughes intake - he put one on his 5.2 Dakota and swears by it.  I'd never heard of it, until earlier today.  I was asking around if anyone locally had ever done the kegger mod (http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/145873-kegger-intake-mod-diy.html), and he pointed this out.

crazzywolfie

i still don't think the cost to benefit ratio is there for the intake. you can fix the plenum gasket for less than $150. i would also not recommend the kegger mod you refered to. it is suppose to move the power from down low to the mid to higher rpm range. personally i like having all my power down low.

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on October 26, 2013, 03:25:22 AM
i still don't think the cost to benefit ratio is there for the intake. you can fix the plenum gasket for less than $150. i would also not recommend the kegger mod you refered to. it is suppose to move the power from down low to the mid to higher rpm range. personally i like having all my power down low.

I read where that does increase greatly your power above 3,000 rpms - I'm not sure if that's as a SACRIFICE of low-end, or JUST the bonus of more top end (MOVING your powerband, as it were).  :dontknow:  Were I bogging it, it would certainly be nice to have that top end.  Never really crawled before, as my previous wheeler was a '79 Bronco down in NC (a little more mud down there), and I have the Alleghenies to play around in up here.

I'm consulting a LOTTA local folk here about how to build the RC for successful off-roading here (Pittsburgh Offroad.com).  The main problem THESE days is, finding people with experience wheeling FULL-SIZE rigs!  25 years ago, it was all Broncos, Blazers, Ramchargers and V-8 powered CJ's.  A LOT of Generation Y's only experience with a V-8 4-wheeler, was growing up & being schlepped around in mom's SUBURBAN!  :o