News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

'92 RC restoration/trail rig build (New pics & VIDEOS 7/12/14)

Started by The War Wagon, December 26, 2012, 10:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

if you had a tach in you vehicle you would learn you don't really go over 3000rpm. i don't think you would gain the power above 3000rpm  and be able to keep the low end torque or else they would have probably done it from the factory eventually. they did make a few changes to the magnum intakes over the years but shorter runners was not one of the changes. i think even if you installed a cam, lifter and rockers you would still have a 5000rpm limit which would mean there is only a 2000 rpm window where you would notice a gain and that gain might only be noticeable at wide open throttle.

The War Wagon

I can get an OBD1 NoS kegger for $40 - I can do the mod on the side with that.  So you're think it might be more cost effective - and power effective - to do the mod on that, vs. forking over for the Hughes intake?
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

crazzywolfie

i think it would be more cost effective to mod a stock intake. $40 for a NOS kegger seem like a pretty good deal. i think i paid about that for my dirty used one. there is really not too much that needs to be modded. you just mainly need to clean up some of the rough cast which you will find lots of. with the money saved fixing a stock keg you could buy some of the other parts that would compliment the other mods you want to do to the engine like a 50mm throttle body and bosch 4 hole injectors. you can usually get those 2 things off ebay for cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251361935964
the same guy also sells just the aluminum plenum pans so you could buy the gaskets of your choice.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-JEEP-ALUMINUM-PLENUM-PLATE-BELLY-PAN-318-360-5-2-5-9-MANIFOLD-REPAIR-KIT-/261310243867?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd74de41b

The War Wagon

I saw someone on Dodge Talk who was thinking of going to larger injectors, and then backed off of it.  Don't know of anyone else who's tried it, to see what their results were.

I know the plenum gasket is the weak link of the early Magnum.  I do like how the Hughes unit eliminates them, but then, maybe modern gasketing will solve some of those problems.

crazzywolfie

i think rjtx667 had 24lb injectors in his 91/92 but i am not sure. i figure even if you go with same as stock rating but better flow pattern you should notice a increase in performance.

some people think that if you replace stock gasket with a aftermarket gasket you should solve the problem.

The War Wagon

Woot - woot! Things are finally moving again!!!    Crappy cell phone pics to follow!  ::)

Stopped by the shop today, to check on progress.  Dave was outside with a customer, so I parked in my usual spot.  My RC's been outside for 6 mos. now, but THIS was parked in its spot today!

I said, "HEY!  You SHRANK my Ramcharger!!!"  :tongue3:  (Neat little project, this '71 Cornbinder - has an automatic transmission and FACTORY A/C!)

Sure enough, there in the garage, is THE War Wagon!

The axles are now done, and Dave says it DEFINITELY has more giddy-yap, with 4.56 gears!

Transmission hangs in low sometimes, which we already knew.  The B&M Transpak goes in next, with the new armored transmission pan, filter, and all new fluid.  We think, with the forthcoming flush & new filter, the transmission will be good as new when done.  Borgeson steering still to go in, too, but it's STARTING to get there!   :dance:

joemouton

Thats great man.  :headbang: So is he working on it full time? What do you have planned next? Some road time? :laughing7:
84 RC AW100 360/727 4wd

The War Wagon

Quote from: joemouton on November 20, 2013, 04:56:13 PM
Thats great man.  :headbang: So is he working on it full time? What do you have planned next? Some road time? :laughing7:

If it's BEING worked on, it's CLOSER to road time!   :dance:

SixGun

A guy in my neighborhood had been working on a vehicle that looks like that one.  I don't know much about Internationals though.  He just got that thing running and it looks pretty badass in it's rough shape.  I like that factory scoop on the one in the pic.

Can you post up some closeups on that spare tire contraption you have.  Looks nice.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

The War Wagon

Quote from: SixGun on November 20, 2013, 09:03:52 PMCan you post up some closeups on that spare tire contraption you have.  Looks nice.

There's a bunch more pics back at the beginning of this thread - it's SO old, that when I bought it, it was made by Kennesaw Mountain Products - BEFORE they were "Tactical Armor Group!"  :o

They still make 'em, although I didn't find out about their spotty reputation, until mine had been sitting STILL shrink-wrapped to the pallet it was shipped on, for 6 years in my church's basement!

I had it custom built, to include - spot/mounts for a jerry can, hi-lift jack, license plate, heavy-duty "D" shackles, CB antenna mount, and of course - a swing out tire gate (all that hardware is integral IN the bumper, and not to the bodywork, like the old Blazer/Bronco tiregates were - nothing to jar loose or break/tear away sheet metal!).  I told them what tire size and wheel combo I'd be running, and they build it strong enough to hold THAT size tire!  I can put any 5x5.5 bolt pattern wheel back there (although I'm actually mounting a custom plate TO that, with 5 lug bolts, to BETTER hold the oversize wheel in place) with a 38" or smaller tire.  I'm currently running 35's.

SixGun

Actually the jerry can holder caught my attention.  I recently saw a vehicle with a mount for 3 jerry cans.  They were perpendicular to the gate on the RH side and the spare was on the left.  Not an RC but I can't remember if it was a Jeep or what.  It was professional looking like maybe a kit.  I reached for my camera but unfortunately I left it at home.  He disappeared in a flash.  Hope I see him again.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

80W150

Quote from: crazzywolfie on October 26, 2013, 05:28:41 PM
i think it would be more cost effective to mod a stock intake. $40 for a NOS kegger seem like a pretty good deal. i think i paid about that for my dirty used one. there is really not too much that needs to be modded. you just mainly need to clean up some of the rough cast which you will find lots of. with the money saved fixing a stock keg you could buy some of the other parts that would compliment the other mods you want to do to the engine like a 50mm throttle body and bosch 4 hole injectors. you can usually get those 2 things off ebay for cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251361935964
the same guy also sells just the aluminum plenum pans so you could buy the gaskets of your choice.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-JEEP-ALUMINUM-PLENUM-PLATE-BELLY-PAN-318-360-5-2-5-9-MANIFOLD-REPAIR-KIT-/261310243867?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd74de41b

Oh thanks Wolfie. Now you have ideas rolling around in my head for my 01 ram. New throttle body, injectors, maybe even the exhaust crossover with no cat but has O2 bung....... I have to do the plenum gasket anyways in the spring.....
Chuck

The War Wagon

Quote from: SixGun on November 21, 2013, 04:48:10 PM
Actually the jerry can holder caught my attention.  I recently saw a vehicle with a mount for 3 jerry cans.  They were perpendicular to the gate on the RH side and the spare was on the left.  Not an RC but I can't remember if it was a Jeep or what.  It was professional looking like maybe a kit.

I saw an ad on 4WD Parts website (maybe...) for that SAME contraption.  If I ever get enough money, I might put one ofTHOSE on my Jeep Commander - it DID look sharp.

80W150

Hey Bob, saw the vid of your exhaust. Sounds badazz. What exhaust is that? (pretty snappy throttle response too.)
Chuck

The War Wagon

Quote from: 80W150 on December 07, 2013, 04:07:26 PM
Hey Bob, saw the vid of your exhaust. Sounds badazz. What exhaust is that? (pretty snappy throttle response too.)

Still the factory headers!  8)

2 1/4 true duals - Magnaflow hi-flow cats (2 of 'em), and Magnaflow glasspacks.  2 1/4 provided just enough room to route 'em all around everything, & gives a little backpressure still, for good low-end torque.  ;D