News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

2000 Mexico RamCharger

Started by rjtx667, July 26, 2012, 12:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

not sure why the software turns it up side down, but it did  :icon_scratch:

So I got a bit more done yesterday, the transmission is bolted up, the engine mounts right.

I have the accessory bracket bolted on, the A/C compressor and a few others. Some of the wires and sensors.

I did manage to break my radiator  :angry5:  but it might be better off getting a new one at this point anyways.

I also figured out that the new Accel Injectors are EV1 plug style and the wire harness is EV6... Which means I have to get adapters. I have then on order.

I guess I could swap them with the 93 or 91, but that seems it would be a pain, easier to wait a few days for it to come in the mail.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ernestgonzales78@gmail.com

76 F100 4X4 FORD (AKA MISTRESS)
86 3/4 ton 4X4 CHEVY
07 3500 DODGE FLATBED (TOY HAULER)

rjtx667

I will get a pic up tomorrow, not that there is a lot to see.

I got the transmission all buttoned up, got the steering pump up and in place.

The adapters for the fuel injectors came in, those are on... and damn those are hard to get on. I now have to try and get the wire harness to stay connected to them... I might be getting zip ties for that  :icon_scratch:

I also need to "adjust" the throttle body bracket for the hughes intake.

The radiator comes in tomorrow, so  if luck holds (I am not holding my breath) I may get to start it tomorrow.

There is a lot left to do.

injector wires
throttle body
inlet rad hose
return heater core hose (flush heater core first)
radiator
battery
tighten engine mounts
add oil filter
add oil
add coolant
add pvc valve
add brake booster line
bring engine to tdc
install wires
prime oil pump (run for 5 min)
install dizzy
START

I am sure I missed a few things, but looking at that list... yeah maybe I can get it started friday or sat  :dontknow:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

well I made progress.

Had a false alarm of leaks because the gasket I tried to use on the thermostat housing was not good. Replaced it and no leaks.

Got the truck primed for 5 minutes... its a real PITA to get that stuff back there, I have the fan and shroud out still to deal with it.

I ran into issues getting the dist to sit in, ended up being the new o ring for it, pulled the old one back on and no issues.

I started it, then turned it off... exhaust was not near tight enough Can you say loud... at 10:30 at night  :evil6:

Rolled it out of the garage and tightened it up. much better... then I noticed 2 things.

1) the tensioner pulley seemed to be bouncing more than I recall being normal. I am going to look at the 93 and maybe 91 tomorrow and see, I had to top off the power steering pump from the work so it was possible that was a drag but I doubt it. It does not seem as bad as it was at first

2) there is a "squeak" coming from the truck, I think its from the back/ transmission area. Which means I now need to remove the starter and inspection plate and review everything there... make sure its happy.

Once I get those 2 done I can set the fuel sync and go for a spin  :13:

Its really nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

Well after countless hours and head scratching I think its done.

I had a squeak I could not figure out. Pulled stuff (dizzy, intermediate shaft, belt to check accessories, etc)

I decided it must be the flex plate, bought a new one... pulled the tranny and replaced the flex plate... still there  :angry4:

I messed with a few more things, then said screw it and took it for a spin. Squeaked the whole time. It was a good drive but did not press it hard.

Got back to the house turned it off to look at stuff, started it up to put it in the garage... squeak is gone !!!! stopped it started it again. still gone.

I will try it tomorrow but who knows?  :dontknow:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

had to be something... started it again this morning and all still good.

I did not drive it to work today as its missing a few major components... hood bumper, fan shroud, fan, etc.

Maybe I can get it all done by friday to drive it in.

:dance:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

The War Wagon

Just imagine how much fun this'll be, when you convert it to 4wd next:tongue3:  :confused2:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

rjtx667

so it's running and driving with issues

the power steering pump pulley is too far out and trying to eat belts and cause squeaks

the driver header is leaking

I took it off to get fixed, it's not fixable and new ones are 500!!!!

they won't be in till Friday, so I am going to put it back stock so it's drive able just in case the 93 acts up again
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

well I worked on this one today, got the headers off and factory manifolds on.

waiting to get the wide and fuel gauge O2 bung installed the. I can start working on the tune, as it is running way rich.

while I have been waiting (person in front of me has a rust bucket ford explorer with broken bankroll bolts they can't get out) I got the wideband system temp installed (not like I want but will work) and even found the broken vacuum line to cruise. I think they should help stuff out some. :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

So I had to re-calibrate the Wideband fuel gauge... which I can't remember if I explained that... its a more sensitive O2 sensor. So instead of saying rich, lean, or center as the factory ones do it can say the exact number as far as rich or lean.

with that done I turned the data logger on and headed to work. Man I can say a few things about it right now.

1) its not doing 400hp or 475 ft lbs of torque yet
2) even so it is way easy to do more than 70  :laughing7:
3) it loves gas  :confused2:

Its drinking maybe gulping so much gas right now because the mixture is way off and its running way rich.

So after I made it over to work I ran to up to the Dodge stealership. I got some confused looks there  :tard:

After I explain what it is and where it came from I tell them what I want. I needed the Vin re-programmed, and want the odometer in miles not kilometers (that also got a blank stare) then finally I want them to align the power steering pump pulley as I tried and got no where  :evil6:

Hopefully they can get it all done in a reasonable amount of time.

I also got the data logs off to the tuner so he should be able to get me something that suxs a bit less.

here is a pic of the logs

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

So I got a new tune, it seems to be doing a little better but no where near what I expected  :angry4:

I know the factory manifolds and stock exhaust pipes are causing a little restriction, but should not be that much in the grand scheme of things.

I am going to check a few more things to see how it all looks and make sure its all correct, but I need to find a big "magical" change sometime here soon to see a good difference.

I did not remember to post my stealership experience. They called and said the tech looked at the power steering pump and agreed that the pulley was not set all the way in... well duh I said that. I was then told the tech said he would have to remove the pump to have room to adjust the pulley and it would be $170!!!! I called BS and said that is stupid and ridiculous. I said there is room to use the tool there, and that if he wanted more he could remove the fan shroud but that there was no need to remove the pump. I told her I figured it would cost me $100 or so to buy the tool and wait for it to fix it myself and that was the max I was willing to pay. Her response "so we can fix it for $100?"

and they ended up fixing it for $90....  :tard:  never negotiated on service price before, thats a first. I also thought it was funny she put it in the computer as a charger because she did not know what else to call it. :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

thats funny. i did my final driving test in my ramcharger and the guy behind the counter wrote charger. the other guy came out expecting a charger :laughing7:.

rjtx667

Well still not much change on the engine performance. The tuner is saying the dizzy is "1 tooth off"

I have thought about this a lot... I don't know that you can be "1 tooth off" where ever you stab the intermediate shaft  and the engine is TDC on cyl1 then that is now here the spark from the rotor will hit. As long as the rotor and cap align correct your good?  :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

So after pulling and setting the dizzy about 4 or 5 times I give up and will wait to see what I can get from the tuners.

I did get the sound mat installed on the front section of the roof, and I now have the head liner back in  :13: small but decent progress.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

That is odd.  I've never heard of that before but the timing gear one tooth off ....  I've heard of that before.    :dontknow:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket