News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

2000 Mexico RamCharger

Started by rjtx667, July 26, 2012, 12:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

ok. i thought it might have been you punching all those holes. i know that is how my dad would do it but i hate the idea. people have posted links to stud welders at parts stores in the US for about $50. i don't think i would get that lucky here.

rjtx667

Quote from: crazzywolfie on September 13, 2012, 10:10:54 PM
ok. i thought it might have been you punching all those holes. i know that is how my dad would do it but i hate the idea. people have posted links to stud welders at parts stores in the US for about $50. i don't think i would get that lucky here.

http://www.harborfreight.com/stud-welder-dent-repair-kit-98357.html

its $100 not 50 but it might be worth playing with. If I can figure out how to use it. :fucyc:  Granted I think I would also like the try the block and hammer first just to see if I can get that to work since I already own it and have access. I am sure in the end it would take a combo of both to get it where it needs to be.

I wonder if it could work out good enough to stud weld over the holes, then cut off and grind down to cover the holes up lol.

The other option is getting a copper block to put back there and using my normal welder. I really need to take a welding class as I am eh at best on it but then again i don't have much practice with it either.

if I had been thinking I would have got a lesson from Ron when he was here  :021:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

Dodgestrike

yeah non taken , it is a cheap ass job in defense of the bodyshops over here same as in the US you get what you pay for and the PO got what he paid for ... if he paid lol
MOPAR
Massively Over Powered Asphalt Remover.

minionsram

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/body/mopp_0612_how_to_paint_a_car/viewall.html
this will get you started. If you have a local paint supplier, talk to them. they are always happy to help get you on the right track with advise because they know you will come in for the next thing to buy and the advise on how to use it. :headbang:
!985 W350. 360, 727, 241 44hd front and 60 rear
1990 w150 RC 360 518 2 inches of lift
83, 90, 89, 86 RC's in yard for parts
2001 Ram 5 speed regular cab short box project.
96 Jeep Cherokee (wifes)

rjtx667

stud welder on sale for $99... thats a good $99 spent  :evil6:

Only did one little section so far, but it did not take long and worked really well.

granted what I am seeing at this point, I am going to have to do multi passes. So do 1 pass pulling some, trim studs grind off. Do another pass

keep repeating until its good. but I would say that pulled about 80% of the dent that was there. if I can get it to 85-90% I would be happy.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

Dodgestrike

MOPAR

crazzywolfie

that is looking pretty good. when you start doing the work yourself that $99 you spent on tools seems like nothing compared to what a body shop would charge you to do the same work.

rjtx667

When I am finished with it, maybe we can get it sent south of the border.

Yeah I wanted to try spending $99 before I go and send several thousand for someone else to do this. I know I can't get it 95% out like they can, but if I can get it 90% out and filler the rest then it will be almost as good for a whole lot less.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

at least your not just filling in the dent with bondo like most people would. i know my dad says he wants to get his ford to last another 5+ years but i find with the way he keeps doing body work it won't last that long.

rjtx667

Quote from: crazzywolfie on September 15, 2012, 10:10:12 PM
at least your not just filling in the dent with bondo like most people would. i know my dad says he wants to get his ford to last another 5+ years but i find with the way he keeps doing body work it won't last that long.

that's what the PO's did to this one
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

Dodgestrike

I was trying to figure out how those dents were made but... I don't know
MOPAR

minionsram

looks to be time for a dolly and a shrinking hammer. that is if you can get a dolly on it. I have had to tack the dolly on a rod and stick it inside of panels before to get them. :violent1:
96 Jeep Cherokee (wifes)

rjtx667

I can barely get the dolly in there, I was going to give that a try.

The passenger side has more damage, but less stuff in the way was well.

The other thing I have to do is weld up the holes which should be fun too.

Hopefully I get to work on it some more this afternoon.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

minionsram

dont know what your hand and time in welding is, but make sure you dont put too much heat in the sheet metal. Just "dot" the trigger and give it a second then "dot" trigger again. Holding the trigger too long on the gun will warp the hell out of the body. Take your time with it. A auto shield is a great thing, I have payed for mine time and time again with all the use in just doing body work for friends.
96 Jeep Cherokee (wifes)

rjtx667

Yeah I have an auto shield. I have done a little bit of work, but not a lot welding.

I will be sure to practice before I do it on the truck. Luckily it appears I will be able to get a copper plate behind all the spots I need to fill.

I had kid duty last night so I did not get to work on it any more. Before I do too much more I need to stop and get me a mini grinder or whatever they are called to clear off the studs, the 4" electric grinder just seems overkill for that.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins