News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

2000 Mexico RamCharger

Started by rjtx667, July 26, 2012, 12:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

So here are some pics... stock pistons and all.

I am going by today to get the crank, pistons,  and bearings.

Tomorrow going to go talk to the PO.

Talked to a few people, they all say one thing when I say I need a new crank. "Stroke it"

So I am looking into that now, but this build is going south fast and the $$ is going up  :crybaby2:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

Well today was good and bad, that seems to be happening a lot on this here lately.

The block mag'd out good so I have a foundation to build on, small at this point but its something.

the bad... man its a list.

the machine shop told me to get a stroker kit and they will install it, but man they did not even know what the stock stroke was much less the stroker stroke  :crybaby2:

Its a little cheaper than I figured for the estimated machine work so I guess thats a good thing too.

I called Mike at MRL Performance again and he helped me out.

Contrary to what the shop (and I am sure others) think, the cam plays a very critical role in deciding the stroker kit. My cam is too small to do a "off the shelf" stroker kit. It can't handle 10:1 or even 9.5:1 CR. I need about 9.1 - 9.25:1. To do that I need different pistons. He quickly worked up a kit for me and it was about 300 more than the off the shelf kit and about 500 more than what I thought, but some of that was because its a internally balanced crank that he balances at his shop.

So Bad because it cost way too much, but evens out a bit with the cheaper machine shop work.

The good... he has a nice little computer program that you put all the numbers into because I asked about power... I warn you.... you need to be sitting down for this. He said because its a small cam, it has lots of good low end torque.

HP will be apx 420 peak... think a 5.2/5.9 stock is about 230/235 so some nice gains there of 185hp, a gain of 78.7% !!!! :headbang:

Torque... he estimates will be apx 510ft lbs peak at apx 2500 rpm and will remain above 450 ft lbs past 5500 rpm. Stock is 295/330 for magnums so thats a gain of 280ft lbs, or 121.7%!!!!! :evil6:

I am thinking this is going to be a really fun truck to drive when I am done.

The best news was a combo of the power it should have with the fact it should be as good as or better gas millage as a stock 360.

so today was an expensive day, but I think its going to make for several great days after its done. We are not sure yet if the parts are all in stock, so he will order tomorrow and we will see how long its going to take to get the kit ready so the machine shop can proceed.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

Francisco got me some more parts from another RC down there.

I am going to be all over him to start getting this stuff up here :evil6:

I need the new engine wire harness so that I can get the lights and all to work and be able to pass inspection. I ordered the last 2 cables I "Should" need to fix the parking brake.

tailights ( two driver side ,one passenger )
Ecu + complete harness nothing chopped or cut
driver side harness ( that turned out to be 90% interior harness lol goes from the ds to the ps over the roof )
top moldings
an extra set of letters in really good condition ( no peeling )
3rd row seats

Top Moldings will be nice too, will get them painted to match and then get them on... since right now I have holes in the truck's roof.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

Dodgestrike

Quote from: rjtx667 on February 13, 2013, 07:51:57 PM
Well today was good and bad, that seems to be happening a lot on this here lately.

The block mag'd out good so I have a foundation to build on, small at this point but its something.

the bad... man its a list.

the machine shop told me to get a stroker kit and they will install it, but man they did not even know what the stock stroke was much less the stroker stroke  :crybaby2:

Its a little cheaper than I figured for the estimated machine work so I guess thats a good thing too.

I called Mike at MRL Performance again and he helped me out.

Contrary to what the shop (and I am sure others) think, the cam plays a very critical role in deciding the stroker kit. My cam is too small to do a "off the shelf" stroker kit. It can't handle 10:1 or even 9.5:1 CR. I need about 9.1 - 9.25:1. To do that I need different pistons. He quickly worked up a kit for me and it was about 300 more than the off the shelf kit and about 500 more than what I thought, but some of that was because its a internally balanced crank that he balances at his shop.

So Bad because it cost way too much, but evens out a bit with the cheaper machine shop work.

The good... he has a nice little computer program that you put all the numbers into because I asked about power... I warn you.... you need to be sitting down for this. He said because its a small cam, it has lots of good low end torque.

HP will be apx 420 peak... think a 5.2/5.9 stock is about 230/235 so some nice gains there of 185hp, a gain of 78.7% !!!! :headbang:

Torque... he estimates will be apx 510ft lbs peak at apx 2500 rpm and will remain above 450 ft lbs past 5500 rpm. Stock is 295/330 for magnums so thats a gain of 280ft lbs, or 121.7%!!!!! :evil6:

I am thinking this is going to be a really fun truck to drive when I am done.

The best news was a combo of the power it should have with the fact it should be as good as or better gas millage as a stock 360.

so today was an expensive day, but I think its going to make for several great days after its done. We are not sure yet if the parts are all in stock, so he will order tomorrow and we will see how long its going to take to get the kit ready so the machine shop can proceed.

I've only read good things about MRL , so are you using the stock 5.2 block for a 390 or a 5.9 block for a 408 ? either way those are nice estimates , the 5.7 on the ram has 345hp and arround the same weight it would be reaally fun to have an extra 80
MOPAR
Massively Over Powered Asphalt Remover.

Dodgestrike

MOPAR

rjtx667

well get it shipped  :tongue3:

I am now working on getting a quote to just have Mike @ MRL do the whole lower end and new heads. I figure he knows how to do the stroker and I don't think anyone where does. He has already mentioned a few things that I did not have a clue on... and they are a MUST for a stroker.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

Dodgestrike

MOPAR

rjtx667

So update time....

Did not do much today, got my steering wheel controls to work again with the new harness. I broke the wipers in the process, but its all patched back together. Next time I will check 3 times before a cut a wire lol. I will say it was interesting to see the radio input change when I turned the wipers on,  :laughing4:

They also replaced my radio because the backlight went out, pretty sure its nothing I did but I don't know.

As for the engine, I went to the machine shop on friday and got everything but the valve springs forgot those... and I am pretty sure they owe me $$ so I have to get that squared (accounting guy was already gone).

After talking with Mike @ MRL I came to 1 un deniable conclusion.

YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING TO BUILD A STROKER

:laughing7:

Mike mentioned oil modifications and clearance here and there, then mentioned you HAVE to use main studs or the engine won't last... and that you can't use studs on the last cap because of the oil pump (side note he said some other popular shop that starts with a H likes to use a stud on 1 side and a bolt on the other, said that is 100% the worst thing to do  :dontknow: ).

I tend to believe Mike as he is a straight shooting honest guy. The fact he worked at Chrysler (in the performance division) also says a lot to me.

At any rate Mike worked up a quote, and him building me a short block... are you ready...

Cost More 

:laughing4:

Sadly I knew it would, but that is him supplying the block and doing all the work he does for a stroker. Its about 400 more before shipping than the local guys, seemed like a win to me.

I gave him the green light and will ship off my cam and other parts up there shortly along with a check I wish could keep.

I don't know how long its going to take, but he said it already dropped the block off last time I talked with him, and he already has all the parts in he already ordered for the stroker kit.

It might be back together for the April meeting (I hope) if not for sure by Ram Jam.

I think mid March I am going to pull the engine, that way I can get the dakota running and out of my garage sooner rather than later. Now that the 93 is almost where I want it, its close to happening.

I hate the waiting game, but what else can I do now... besides dream of when the new power plant is in  :dance:  :steeringwheel:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

rjtx667

have not done much lately, besides drive it  :13:

I did get a bonus at work, so with that I sent a large large chunk of it up north to Mike @ MRL.

By wed he will have my $$ and a whole slew of parts

Camshaft
timing cover
timing chain
set of roller rockers to measure for push rods
gasket sets
valve covers
oil pan
oil pickup
damper/ pulley
valve springs

prob a few other things I am forgetting

Mike told me the block just got finished with basic machine work and boring. He already has the pistons, rods, and crank in stock.

Now he can order the heads, valves, oil pump, intake, and a few other odds and ends.

Not sure how long it will all take, but its going to be coming together real soon.

Francisco's box got held up in customs, so it will be here monday, I have a dr appt tuesday so plan to take the rest of the day to work on the wire harness. My plan is to get the wire harness installed and verify everything (fingers crossed) is fixed and I can go get it to pass inspection.

Once I have it inspected and we are good, then I am ripping the engine out. I have the intake sold to someone on DodgeForums and the engine I am going to do a few things and stick back in the dakota for my friend. (he wants a valve job, new cam, new timing chain, lifters push rods, clean up the intake fix the gasket, and check the lower end/ oil pump). I figure between this one and the one I have coming down I can justify getting a engine stand now so I will do that as well.

Once the 5.2 is back in the dakota I think it will run pretty good with the mild cam we get for it. I don't want to deal with new springs so I am going mild enough to keep stock springs for him.

Here are a few pics of the box I shipped to Mike.... 75# of some good stuff  :evil6:

Oh another side note, I picked Mike's brain a bit... he said they had a few of the Mexico RamChargers up at the corp office. He played with them some but did not know why they were never sold here. He never heard of emissions of safety issues. He said up until 2005 or 2006 one of the security vehicles was a Mexico Ram Charger... Which is interesting I think... if it was tagged on the street, by Chrysler that means they did the song and dance to register it providing the EPA and Customs with all the required docs to show it meet USA safety and emissions requirements. I don't know that it was registered, but I see most security vehicles registered.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

well the package from Francisco arrived, it almost had everything I expected  :icon_scratch:  :dontknow:

we will figure the rest out, but for now I am fighting with the cab harness... what a PITA that is  :BangHead:

not only does it run from end to end on each side of the cab, it runs under the dash... so now I have to take the dash back out.

I am hopeful that this will fix my power door lock issue, as it touches the door harnesses as well.

I did a quick test and it appears it fixes the issue with the bright lights always being on. Now they are never on  :icon_scratch:  :dontknow:

The front running running lights are still not on as well. but the turn signals and head lights are working. This seems to all stem from going from normal head lights to the "quad beam" lights... who would have know it would be such a pita?

I think those issues will not get resolved until I get the other parts of the harness from Francisco. Fingers crossed that the trucks still there and they don't make me bend over again for the rest of the parts.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

So parts made it to Mike @ MRL just fine... along with the check. He said it all looks good.

Mentioned the heads will be in tomorrow and the new intake will be ordered monday or tuesday, also said if things go well the short block will be done mid next week.  :13:

after that its just waiting on the heads and intake, but I am excited to hear that.

I thought it was very cool he mentioned another customer engine he built was at a car show and grabbed attention. Something along the lines of "wow that sounds great, what do you have in there?" to "there is no way your making that much HP, its just a Mopar." to "damn thats impressive" after the ride to prove  :laughing7:

at any rate Spike's power block TV did a clip on it, and Mike and the car are suppose to be on there in early May... I have to set my Tivo.

Mike asked for better pics of the 2000, he wants it and the engine on his site when its done... I like that too  :great:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

crazzywolfie

maybe you and your ride will end up on power block one day. it has definitely come a long way and is becoming one cool ride that is power block worthy once it is done.