News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RC to 92 RC

Started by rjtx667, July 26, 2012, 12:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

I started with a 92 Green Canyon Sport that ended up being too bad to fix, so I now have a 91 White Canyon sport that is taking its place. The motor from the 92 is going into the 91, but before that there is a lot of other work.

It just took off to the body shop to get some rust repair and to prime the interior and engine bay.

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

workgoats

Where did you get the tow dolly?  We had a hard time finding one wide enough here to hold a RC.

We had 33x12.50 tires and 10" wide aluminum wheels on it though.  That might have made some difference.

rjtx667

yeah I had 31x10.5 and it was really close to not fitting.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

well finally have a little progress here.

They are sanding on the inside and the firewall, more black etch primer is on its way now. Lets hope we can get this part wrapped up soon... its dragged on for too long.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

the front section of that ram charger almost looks brand new.

rjtx667

Quote from: crazzywolfie on September 11, 2012, 03:47:50 PM
the front section of that ram charger almost looks brand new.

yeah it only took 8 weeks to get that done, lets see if we can get them moving faster and keep the quality up. The plan is for this to look brand new when its done... then it will never get to go off road again  :crybaby2:

but for what I will have in it I don't think people can blame me. Once its done I get to start the trail rig  :laughing7:

Maybe I did them in the wrong order but it will all work out.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

The new black primer came in, will drop it by today.

Friday they had a bit more done.... figure Ron is jealous now... Olive Drab anyone?  :laughing7:

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

The new black primer came in, will drop it by today.

Friday they had a bit more done.... figure Ron is jealous now... Olive Drab anyone?  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

So I missed the guys at the shop of friday, but called and talked with the painter.... he said it should be ready to come back to my house monday!!!! :headbang: :laughing7: :great: :13:

Its been a long time coming. Now what "ready to come back" means I am not sure, but I am expecting for them to have welded up the spots we found, fixed the 1 rust spot, etch primer'd the firewall and inside and the exposed frame.

When I get it back I have a long list of things to do.

drop gas tank
clean under body
etch primer frame and under side of body
underbody coat body
replace rear springs
replace front springs
install Jungle HD bushings all around and front rear
replace steering column
Replace steering gear box
replace body bushings

Once all that is done I can finally start working to get the engine and tranny back in (man thats a long list).

But once again before I do that I want to reinstall the heater box, which means new heater core and evaporator (both worked before, but why put 20 year old parts back in hard to get to spots).

So with a little down time last night I took to cleaning the engine a bit, nothing like getting out of order  :laughing7:

I have some more of the silver engine paint along with some header paint for my headers. They will get all cleaned up and painted for for it all goes back in.

Hopefully monday I have pics of the truck back at my house. I plan to take a 1/2 day off from work if its ready so I can get it all handled.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

Ok so I think it will work this time, had to reboot the server because uploads were jacked.. Did some upgrades while I was at it.

So the 91 is now home in my garage again. Very strange to see it there instead of the 2000. At any rate the guys did a great job on what they have done so far. They got the rust on the passenger side fixed up and primer'd. Also got the inside floor and the engine bay.

Now I get to start on my long list of to do's and get it back to them ASAP to finish it off.

I will get some more pics tomorrow, forgot to get one of the rust spot.

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

So my first todo was the rear springs, figured why not.

I got it on jack stands, took the tires off and got weight off the springs. Supported the axle and got the ubolts off.

I then went to try and get the shackle bots off and those suckers are not budging... now thinking about it... maybe the weight of the springs are causing them to bind? I will try putting a small load back on them and see if that helps. I soaked with oil and will try again tomorrow.

Just for grins I put the new springs up to the old ones... Thats a nice lift. Of course I bought those springs as a 2.5" lift and 2" blocks vs the 3.5" block so that I would have more spring, less block and a slightly higher stance. I think it will work out nicely. But that seems more like a 4" lift not a 2.5"
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

:great:  Man that thing looks sweet.  Great job Ryan!
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

I still have a very very long way to go  :crybaby2:

I did order the new A/C parts - heater core, evap, condensor, expansion valve, and hoses. I will find a new compressor before its all put back together. It was a pretty dime I hated to part with, but not as much as I would hate having to go back into the dash to fix it again after the 20 year old parts failed in the not too distant future.

I also ordered some "GTMAT" aka knockoff dynamat. I have 200 sq ft of it so we shall see how much that lets me get done between the 2 trucks. I will focus on the firewall and in front of the doors on the 91, then use the rest on the 2000 as it will be back to road driving quicker. Then if needed I can order some more.

I read some about a "smell" after you install these things, so I guess once its done I will have to let it all air out for a bit.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

So I got all sorts of presents yesterday and today. :character0029:

I still have not made any progress on the rear springs, it keeps being too late to be loud when I get out there. Hopefully tomorrow proves to be productive.

I did manage to do other stuff today. I checked out all my goodies that I ordered, figured out that I need to order 1 more section of A/C hose so that its all new. That new hose looks really nice too.

I got in the attic and pulled down the dash, heater box, and wire harnesses so I can be ready to start putting those back in as well. Now that the truck is back I have lots of room in the back of it for temp storage.

I went head and started working on the sound deading mat. It went on pretty good, I still got a few bubbles to get out but I like it. I did the firewall, the sides before the doors, and the floors up to the lift where the rear bench bolts. Its hard to tell how much of a difference it will make yet since the whole thing is not done yet. All that I have done took 50 sq ft of mat, so I will no doubt have to order more mat before I am done with both trucks. I am going to save the rest of this order for the 2000, as it will be back on the road before this one.

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

Since the heaterbox was down I started looking at it to see what I would need to do.

Its dirty, so a good cleaning is in order. I will also replace the heater core and evaporator just to be on the safe side.

The new evaporate is HUGE no wonder these things were cold, the new ones (like in my durango) are tiny compared to that sucker.

Anyway I moved the air intake door to look and found this. Apparently I need to clean inside too.

This makes me remember to install a "screen" to help avoid this issue in the future.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins