News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

crazzywolfie's 93 RC

Started by crazzywolfie, April 22, 2013, 11:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

this thing is driving me crazy. put a bit more gas in the tank this morning and it seemed to fire up just fine. now it pissing gas from somewhere in the frame rail beside the gas tank every time i try to start it :angry5:.

also went and stripped some parts off my 91 for my 93. grabbed the filler neck and bench seat for the 93 and grabbed the heater box for the 81. filler neck was not in as good of shape as i remember but it should be in way better shape than the one i removed. i guess i will find out after i clean it up a bit. 

SixGun

Looks like Murphy paid you a visit.   :violent1:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

seems like he has been hanging around here a lot lately. the vehicle issues seem to just keep coming and adding up quicker than i can fix them.

crazzywolfie

getting so close to having things done. got to drop the tank 1 last time and i should hopefully be done. there is a little plastic piece that got lost or forgot to be installed on top of a o ring on the new fuel pump hose which is causing the fuel system to loose its prime and take forever to start. other than that it is running good. i lent it to my sister on Saturday and it got her to where she needed to go and back with no issues. Murphy still seems to be hanging around. the electric oil pressure gauge on my ramcharger quit working the same day that the oil pressure gauge on my dads ford quit working. luckily i installed a mechanical gauge in the ramcharger a while ago so i know i am fine. my dads truck on the other hand i am not so sure about.

SixGun

I saw your video on Youtube with fuel issues.  Is that still going on?  I saw how nice and sunny it was in the video and made me wonder.

crazzywolfie

2 fuel pumps later i got the issue fixed hopefully permanently. i gave my sister back the ramcharger on Wednesday. so far so good. i think i know why the first fuel pump failed. there is a plastic piece that sits on top of the o ring in the special connector inside the tank that put pressure on the o ring to make everything seal up nice. well that plastic piece some how fell out into the filter area without me noticing so the fuel pump was having to work harder to keep fuel pressure up enough to run the engine. it took me a weak or 2 to figure that out and fix it but i think the damage was already done. thing went down hill from there. i finally decided to replace it one more time and make sure things got done right. at least now with all the new bolts thing came apart nice and easy.

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on October 14, 2013, 07:50:12 AM
getting so close to having things done. got to drop the tank 1 last time and i should hopefully be done. there is a little plastic piece that got lost or forgot to be installed on top of a o ring on the new fuel pump hose which is causing the fuel system to loose its prime and take forever to start.

I redid EVERYTHING on my tank, all the fuel lines - everything right up to the intake itself.  No problems on mine, but the float IS stuck.   Reads about 1/3rd of a tankful, even topped off.  I may run it close to empty, drop the skid, and try and work on that this spring.  Or replace it.
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

crazzywolfie

just make sure you get as much gas out of the tank as possible before you drop it. it make dealing with the tank so much easier. the last time i dropped the tank i think i spent about 1-2 hours emptying about 6 galllons of gas just to make the tank easier to handle.

SixGun

I too had to replace the fuel pump twice.  The first one was a Carter pump and worked fine except for the fuel level never worked right and then at the end not at all.  The next one I put in was a Precision brand from Oreillys.  Magically the fuel level worked right off the bat and has worked since.  I also misinterpreted a dead O2 sensor for fuel pump issues. So I saved the pump for an emergency situation if it should ever arrive.

On what CW said, what ever you do, don't be tempted to put the "dirty" gas back in.  Let the lawn mower use it instead.  A cheap siphon from Walmart emptied my tank pretty well.  I rigged a heavy nut on the end to hold it to the bottom of the tank like a sinker.

crazzywolfie

you may almost want to stick the used fuel pump in oil and run it for a second to fill the pump with oil. i know the one out of the 91 no longer worked when i tried it out.

i used the dying pump to empty mine which is probably why mine took so long to empty. i put the used gas back in the tank because it was brand new gas. my sister made the mistake of putting gas in the tank that morning.

crazzywolfie

testing out some NGK G-Power spark plugs in the beast. i keep reading that these engines don't really care much for platinum plugs but i guess time will tell. also installed new wires since i had a couple broken ones that i had just stuck back together. i finished putting everything back together and putting my tools away just as my sister was ready to leave to pick her kids from school.

so far the new fuel pump seems to be holding up but i won't really find out till Sunday when i borrow my ramcharger back from my sister. i need my ramcharger back for highway driving because my 81 don't like driving down the highway any more.

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on December 19, 2013, 11:56:52 PM
testing out some NGK G-Power spark plugs in the beast. i keep reading that these engines don't really care much for platinum plugs but i guess time will tell.

The standard rule on platinum plugs is - was the vehicle built when platinum plugs were AVAILABLE? If SO, then you can give them a try; if not, the stick with copper.  We had a B-I-G argument over this on UltimateJeep forum, as several os us have tried platinum plugs - specifically, NGK (as I did!) plugs - in our Commanders.  My 2007 4.7 Commander loves 'em, and has had no issues after 13,000k miles on them.

I went with some top o' the line Champion copper plugs in the RC though, and the engine runs GREAT (as you can hear in my video links).  I'll stick with 'em 'til the next time to change.  Maybe after some engine mods, the platinum plugs might work better, and enhance the performance.

crazzywolfie

well if all else fails i do got the old NGK v groove plugs that i can toss back in. they were only a year and a half old and i think i only put less than 20k km's on them. i also plan on getting Bosch 4 hole injectors eventually which should help things. i think the injectors make a huge difference.

crazzywolfie

kaboom :angry4:. 5 hours later my spare box was in and the ramcharger steers better. it just pisses me off that i was just cleaning my spare steering box up this afternoon and getting it ready to paint and install in my 81. i guess i will just have to replace the input shaft seal on my 81's steering box now or rebuild this steering box. i don't even understand why it blew. if anyone know it would be good to know. i figure rust should have been holding it together.

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on May 24, 2014, 11:50:30 PM
i figure rust should have been holding it together.

Don't know if they put down as much salt up there as we do down here, but rust WAS holding MINE together.

Borgeson is your friend!  ;D