News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

crazzywolfie's 93 RC

Started by crazzywolfie, April 22, 2013, 11:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

well to tell the truth i don't think i have ever had an issue with the driveway being too hot but then again my neighbors house/tree shades most of my driveway in the afternoon. also lately it has been fairly cool. none of that crazy heat you would expect to get all summer long.

well the new shackles/bushings finally showed up. so far they look pretty good. just hope everything goes smoothly. i was pretty tempted to start working on it today since i got the parts early but decided against it. i did start prepping the ramcharger tho. got it turned around and back end up. also got the shackle mounts holes drilled out to 5/8". surprisingly enough drilling them out to 5/8" was super easy with the stepper drill bit. i thought i would have burnt out the stepper drill bit out with the heavy metal but i guess i lucked out.

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

ya it is progress. it did feel a bit strange moving the RC around tho. i don't remember the steering feeling as stiff as it is but maybe that is the way it was and i am just getting too use to driving the truck again. it has been about 2-3 months since i have really driven it.

SixGun

crazzywolfie

ya time definitely does fly. i just wish it didn't take me so long to decide i wanted to fix it and order parts but i have come to the conclusion i need a 2nd moving vehicle and it is hard to find exactly what i want so i am just fixing what i got for now and praying it lasts until i find my next vehicle.

crazzywolfie

well started working on this thing today after work and things have been coming along fairly ok. arms are pretty burnt from grinding rivet heads under the RC. just have to grind the passenger side shackle mount rivets and then i can start cleaning/painting and re-assembling it. i was also able to get the bolts out of the leaf spring bushings without doing any damage so i am just going to leave those alone. i really don't even want to touch them if i don't have to. things should hopefully move fairly smooth tomorrow.

SixGun

Wow, that's really corroded. Good call changing them out.

crazzywolfie

well it is not like i really had a choice on changing them out. my options were to change them or have the RC just sit in the driveway. just suck that i have to do it. now i can tell you why it happened. the PO oiled it twice a year but never washed off any of the old oil so crap would build up in them and cause them to rust out. the oil may have saved some things but completely destroyed other things.

crazzywolfie

so close yet so far. currently on hold due to the rain. pretty much just need to paint everything and throw it back together. glad i didn't order bolts to hold it to the frame with the shackles because they would have been the wrong ones. 7/16" is too small and was really loose. ended up stepping up to 1/2" bolts most of the holes were already nearly 1/2" anyway. i just ran my drill through all hole with the drill to make sure they were 1/2" dead on. if the rain lets up i should be done before the day is over.

rjtx667

it could be worse.. you could but a Jungle flip kit that comes with a ton of bolts... yeah you don't use most of them... easier to weld than to re-drill all new holes.  :evil6:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

well like i said before i don't think i would trust welding to this frame. plus for me the bolts holes are all there and usable so that is what i am going to use. i am just hoping nothing too serious breaks after i get this done. next up on the list will be the strut rod bushings and possibly a bit more front end work to fix the toe.

crazzywolfie

it all bolted back together and driving. so far it has been pretty good. i think i might need to check the rear end fluid level. i think i might have too much fluid in it which is causing it to leak and burn somewhere when i take left corners hard.

crazzywolfie

got some pics of the new shackle mount installed. hopefully i don't have any issue in the future. there is really not a whole lot of space between the shackle mount bolt and the 1 shackle bolt. i think eventually they will come contact. i am just hoping it won't do any damage if it does.

i did do a bit of driving and driving the ramcharger definitely feels a bit strange. it definitely don't drive or stop anywhere nears as good as the 81 or maybe i have just got too use to driving the truck. i swear the 81 feels like it steers and stops way better than the 93. i guess i will get use to it again. i did go to the gas station and get gas for this pig. had just enough in the tank to get me there under its own power. i do got to say the gas tank on this thing is huge. spent $130 on gas and only bought 32.5 gallons of fuel to top up the tank from nearly empty.

rjtx667

I have had my share of bolt rub, just not at that exact location.

looks pretty good.

Only think I can think on steering and braking is the quality/ age of parts and tires and wheels. Different / bigger wheels and tires will effect how it feels. Also the ram charger probably is a bit heavier so harder to stop.

You could also possibly need new calipers or at least rebuild the ones you have. They are pretty cheap down here in the states.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

thanks. i figure i was only doing it once so i should at least try to make it look decent.

i think both have fairly new brakes/calipers and both are running the same size tire. maybe it is just me. i just feel like i am going to have to nearly lock up the brakes to slow the thing down as quick as i would slow down in my truck with about the same amount of pressure on the brake.

i would never mess with rebuilding calipers. they are usually only about $20 each after you return the core. i might take the wheels off eventually to give it all a checkout. it has been sitting enough so it might need it.