News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

crazzywolfie's 93 RC

Started by crazzywolfie, April 22, 2013, 11:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

well i have never really had any bad luck with any tire brand yet. all have worked good for me but then again the only tires that i have bought new are the ones on my 81. i have usually liked good year tires. the last set i picked up got great traction even when wet out. i ended up selling the last set because my neighbor gave me the tires that had matching rims and good tires. 2 were cooper discover at3's and the other 2 were good year wranglers 1 of which went bad. at least i got them for free. i have put about 20,000km(12,427miles) on them since i got them about 1.5 years ago and the good years were getting closer to end of there usable tread life. them cooper tires still look in great shape with lots of life left in them.

that white stuff is snow. i wish it was 70 out. i think it was 53 out yesterday and felt pretty decent. this winter has been so weird. the temp has been jumping around. 1 day is is -13 and the next day it is about 32 out.

crazzywolfie

i got to really test the cruise control out the other day and it works real good. did about 60 miles of straight driving on a highway at 75mph and only kicked out of overdrive once but it was on a pretty big hill. i was a bit disappoint with the fuel mileage on the trip but i think it might have been effect by winter fuel or possibly my lead foot. it got 15mpg over a 280mile trip. it was a pretty un-eventful trip other than the 1 exhaust flange clamp breaking and making the RC extremely loud.

SixGun

Probably the 75 mph that killed your mpg's. Our trucks were built for the 55 mph speed limit and geared accordingly.  At least you have OD.

When I travel in mine, I keep it about 65 and it does decent for what it is. I generally just use the tach and try not to go over 3,000 rpm.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

ya it was probably not helping things. maybe next time i will try the trip at 65mph and see if it helps. i know the older trucks were built to do 55 but overdrive makes a huge difference. staying under 3000rpm is easy with an overdrive transmission. i think i actually stay under 2200rpm with it at 75mph. i am just wondering how it will do on the hills at a slower speed. at lower speeds i think i might see it kicking in and out of overdrive more often on the hills.

SixGun

Hills.....now in my newer vehicles with cruise control, hills kill mpg dramatically.  I only use it on flat land.

rjtx667

if you have 3.55 gears and something around stock tires and a stock engine.... it will kick down out of over drive period.

now add a mild cam and 3.73 gears... and it makes a difference!!   :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

Quote from: SixGun on May 06, 2016, 05:45:00 PM
Hills.....now in my newer vehicles with cruise control, hills kill mpg dramatically.  I only use it on flat land.
i usually only use it on fairly flat land but it did a great 

Quote from: rjtx667 on May 07, 2016, 12:17:47 AM
if you have 3.55 gears and something around stock tires and a stock engine.... it will kick down out of over drive period.

now add a mild cam and 3.73 gears... and it makes a difference!!   :13:
ya i got 3.55 gears, stock tires and engine. at 75mph it actually only kicked out of overdrive once on the 60 miles of highway driving but it was a really big hill that got it to kick out of overdrive. i guess i just got to play with it and see. i am just glad the cruise control works.

i wish. as much as i wouldn't mind modding the engine and everything i wouldn't mind finding a more solid base to start with. there are a couple i am thinking about looking at but i really need to see about getting back to work before buying another vehicle. i really almost need another daily driver but everything i am finding are pretty much toys and could only be driven in the summer

crazzywolfie

well i have been avoiding this thing like the plag lately. been fighting with it so much this year that i just don't know what to do with it. i think i might have been having the pcm on it fail but really no way to test it. i have just been driving my 81 and elcamino instead. sitting on the fence about  replacing the pcm just so i will have a winter beater if it is the issue. i tried swapping out the crank position sensor and think i received a dud. ran crappier with the new sensor than with the old one. i also got a crap load of welding left that i should do to it but no point welding it up if i can't keep it running. got to love dilemmas like this. where do you call it quits?

SixGun

I've had those moments but stuck it out.

Guess I enjoy kicking dead horses Lol. Time changes things. Try using a buddy's pcm and see if it runs better. $75-100 even to solve a problem may be worth all your hard work. Junk yards here still have them. Not about your neck of the woods.

crazzywolfie

that is part of the problem. i don't know anyone who has a 92-93 truck that i could even borrow a pcm from. there is none left at the junk yards either. they rust out and are crushed.