News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Willyreplica from the start...

Started by workgoats, July 26, 2012, 11:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectPW

Sorry Ron I can't help much on you spark issues...my only venture into Megasquirt land has been a fuel only setup. I have used a standard mechanical advance distributor using an Gm hei module for spark control and output signaling for the megasquirt ecu. It is pretty fool proof and it let me focus learning how to tune the fueling without worrying about the spark being right.
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

workgoats

Spark problem is not solved but it is running quite a bit better.  I think it is probably firing every 360 degrees instead of every 720 degrees.

I would take it out for a spin if it wasn't for rewiring the cameras, re-positioning a brake line, finishing the electric windows, re-positioning the seat belts, replacing the door handles with ones that really lock, and now...

The transmission is leaking from the seal around the shifter shaft.  Seal won't be here till tomorrow and the way I built the thing, I may have to pull the floor again to get to the seal.

Plus, seats are in the floor.  Fan is bigger that the last one so I have to build a shroud.  I already had a pencil go through the fan.  I don't want it to throw something through the radiator, especially a finger or something like that.

workgoats

Internet has been down for a week.  Here's an update.  Magnum 360 is running with the MegaSquirt II Extra computer.  I'm using a 90 distributor (TBI) for a signal from the cam sensor and have disconnected the crank sensor.

I still have some issues with idle and acceleration but I'm gaining.

One big problem was when I had the rotor in backwards and it backfired loud enough that the cops came to check for gunfire.  My next door neighbor is a cop and he was asleep at the time.  I don't think he called it in but who knows...

I have some real compatability problems between the 1996 gas sender in the tank and the 60's Jeep gas gauge.  Anybody got any suggestions?

Dracen

Might have to look up the voltages range for both and see if you can adjust them to match with resistors buth thats only if the 96 is higher output but if its lower then you may not have a choice but to replace one or both.

workgoats

The gas tank is a modified 80's RC tank with the fuel pump out of the 96 pickup.  I had to remove the added ring and re-seal it so while doing so I installed a boat tank sender in the vent hole.  There is a second vent location in the fuel pump assembly.  Both senders work but have different resistance.  At worst, I can use a gauge for a boat.

On another note...  I took it out for a ride down the highway and brought it back with the tow bar.  Seems that one of the transmission cooling lines gave up the ghost at 70 mph.  It sprayed fluid all over the exhaust.  I guess I'm lucky I didn't set it on fire.  There will be less mosquitoes along Hwy 6, though, after the smoke clears. :toothy9:

The War Wagon

Quote from: workgoats on June 08, 2014, 08:22:27 AM
On another note...  I took it out for a ride down the highway and brought it back with the tow bar.  Seems that one of the transmission cooling lines gave up the ghost at 70 mph.  It sprayed fluid all over the exhaust.  I guess I'm lucky I didn't set it on fire.  There will be less mosquitoes along Hwy 6, though, after the smoke clears. :toothy9:

Sorta like this?  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8ls_fn--uFc
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

workgoats

Yeah, it was a lot like that.  Should have seen the cars trying to figure out how to get out from behind me.

rjtx667

Never a dull day with old toys is there :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

Whats the Verdict? Is the WillysReplica going to be ready in October??

workgoats

Waiting on some good suppression plug and coil wires coming tomorrow.  If it straightens out the signal from the throttle position sensor I should be able to bring it.

workgoats

I've given up on dealing with the state on this vehicle and a title.  I am looking now at moving the front end and part of the drive train to the 97 ZJ that we used as a parts car.  I have a clean title on that jeep.  That would be changing the rear suspension to a four link suspension, using part of the Grand Cherokee floor pan and ending up lower to the ground but probably more trail worthy vehicle.  There are also engine mounts for the 360 readily available to put it in the vehicle.

The 97 is a 2 wheel drive so I would have to move the axle from the yellow truck to the Grand Cherokee.  It's a straight axle (NO CAD) and has the same gears.  It would end up as an open car for the trail or good weather in a college town.

workgoats

Does anyone know if the fuel pump in the 97 Grand Cherokee fuel tank would put out enough to support a 360 Magnum engine?

ProjectPW

Quote from: workgoats on July 26, 2015, 09:41:08 PM
Does anyone know if the fuel pump in the 97 Grand Cherokee fuel tank would put out enough to support a 360 Magnum engine?

Yes it should  :thumbsup:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!