News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

I finally found enough "horn" for my Ramcharger! :-p

Started by The War Wagon, May 24, 2013, 07:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The War Wagon

A Hemi-powered horn/siren!!!

Presenting the historic
CHRYSLER AIR RAID SIREN
The Most Powerful Siren Ever Built

http://www.victorysiren.com/x/index.htm

QuoteWhat you see pictured above is a Chrysler Air Raid Siren, the most powerful siren in the world. It's the size of a car, measuring near 12-feet in length and standing more than 6-feet tall. It also weighs twice as much as today's typical car. This gigantic siren is powered by an 180-HP Chrysler Industrial V-8 HEMI® gasoline engine. The super-duty engine directly drives a three-stage compressor that blows 2,610 cubic feet of air a minute, at nearly 7 PSI, into a giant siren rotor. The compressed air screams through the chopper and out through six giant horns with an exit velocity of 400 miles per hour. The result is an incredibly loud 138 dB sound (measured 100 feet from the siren). The loudness of this siren is unmatched by any other warning device ever sold, ever. It's also considerably louder than the largest steam whistle or horn. As if that were not dramatic enough, the whole unit, engine and all, slowly rotates one and one-half times a minute on its iron turntable base.

QuoteA few hundred of these monstrous Cold War sirens were produced and sold during the 1950's. Many remained in service for twenty plus years, sounding only for routine tests. Most people who lived in major metropolitan areas during the 1950's and 60's will remember the siren tests. Those particularly, who lived in or near Los Angeles, Seattle, Kansas City, Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, New York and even Miami could hear the haunting siren wail of a Chrysler Air Raid Siren.

Listen here - http://www.victorysiren.com/x/wav/sound.htm

Here's the story on the Pittsburgh sirens - and dang - I'm only a couple miles from the Carrick one. Just 50 years too LATE to go nab it!

QuotePittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh had ten Chrysler Air Raid Sirens that were installed in 1953 at a cost of $100,000. The location of only two of these sirens has been discovered. Both of these sirens are now owned by collectors. During the late 1950's and early 1960's Pittsburgh's sirens were tested every Monday morning.
» Carrick High School - Roof (3 floors) - 12-0 engine cowling - Now owned by David Stall in
Texas, presently residing in Pennsylvania [ story ] [ photo ]
» Prospect Junior High School - Roof - 12-0 engine cowling - Model IND-20A; Type 480;
Serial Number 5699 - Now owned by Harry Barry in Pennsylvania [ article 1 ] [ article 2 ]
[ photo ]

TEN sirens, eh?  HMMMMMM... I think we have a basis for a SCAVENGER hunt - at least here in Pittsburgh!  :toothy9:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket