News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1976 Big Block RC build

Started by SixGun, July 27, 2012, 10:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

i find the only air tool that i am constantly using on the regular bases is the sandblaster. if a bolt looks like it is going to be a pain in the but i sand blast it and then hit it with penetrating oil.

ProjectM880

Im looking forward to seeing this rig on the trail. Seeing how you got a 2wd everywhere. Im really interested to see where this thing goes!

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

It's been pouring here everyday since we painted the top.  Not to mention that I caved in to let Yolanda paint the kitchen and cabinets.  It's turned into a lot of work with very little garage space and rain outside.  Never realized how dirty my white walls are until I pulled down the cabinets.  Yuck....   :confused2:

crazzywolfie

white is so easy to get dirty which is why i think most people don't paint stuff white. i know there is a couple white spot around the house that i occasionally have to wash to make them look pretty again. on of the biggest ones is the white fridge handle. i guess that would be from getting a drink while working on my truck. i am not usually filthy but the dirt seems to add up quick.

rjtx667

house work can keep ya busy.. and yeah you have to balance it out and keep everyone happy.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

:hello:  Well all right, I got into the front end today but ran into a few snags.  First, the u-bolts were not coming off even with the impact wrench.  Unfortunately, the truck is at the inlaws place and I forgot my favorite tool - the cutoff wheel.  So I decide to remove the whole enchilada as one piece since I'm gonna go ahead with the whole 92 front axle from Ryan's old ride to make it easy.  Ron got me some Warn hubs for it and then I will disable the CAD and lock it in.  I get to removing the rear spring hangers on the front leafs and can't seem to get them to budge.  What do you guys do to remove them?  I don't have a torch/welder to burn them out.  Any other suggestions?   So right now the front axle is sitting on blocks with the rear hangers hooked up still.  Also, the rear hanger on the driver's side appears bent.  Any suggestions for replacements - preferably greaseable?  The last item I noticed really bothered me.  See pic below.  I noticed a crack in the frame on the driver's side right in front of the transmission crossmember.  There is some raised metal like it had been welded before.  Is this a common problem area?  It doesn't appear to have been in any major wrecks.  What is the proper way to repair and strengthen it?  I figure it would need some kinda plate to keep it from happening again.

SixGun

In case anyone needs info in this area I have some links for the frame bushings for the rear of the front leaf springs and some shackles from ATS.

http://www.factorymoparparts.com/nsearch.html?section=&query=2953700&searchsubmit=Search&vwcatalog=yhst-129762902022001

http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/catalog/Dodge_RamCharger_Plymouth_TrailDuster_Suspension_Kits-235-1.html

Looks like a simple propane torch will burn the bushings out of the frame and leafs.  Hope to get after it again this weekend.

SixGun

Elwenil helped me find some front leaf/ rear shackles for less than half of what ATS has them.  Stengel Bros. has been in business for 36 years.  Here's the link:

http://www.stengelbros.net/330-182-DODGE-SHACKLE-KIT-Qty-of-2_p_63.html

SixGun

Went back to the inlaws today armed with a cutting wheel for the U-bolts and a propane torch.  After I cut the U-bolts off, I was surprisingly able to easily remove the shackles.  Without the weight of the axle, the passenger side literally just pulled right out.  The one on the driver's side was a little bit cock-eyed and gave me a small bit of trouble.  Only the frame bolt came out but the leaf bolt didn't budge as it was "welded" to the bushing sleeve. 

On that note, I took the 3 ton jacks back to Harbor Freight and exchanged them for the taller 6 tons as recommended on another thread.  I used my 25% off coupon in conjuction with a $39.99 sale price and got $10 off.  $29.99 for 6 ton jacks is a steal.  I also picked up my free with coupon multi-meter and a electronic ignition propane torch.   I didn't need the torch to remove the shackle but I was gonna change out the bushings anyways.  Tried the torch but it was junk so I took it back.  Damn electronic ignition.   :angry5:

I happened into Lowes and saw a Bernzomatic propane torch  for $14.99.  Then my wife noticed that the kit came with a propane cylinder for the same price as just the torch tip itself $14.99.  It was the manual version but I already have a striker anyways.  It's like I got the propane for free. 

Just waiting for the shackles to come in now and I still need to order the frame bushings.  Stengel Bros. emailed me about my questions on the bushings.  Here's what they had to say.

No-  I don't have the bushings that you are looking for.

You may be able to use one of these bushings (modifying a little)

http://www.stengelbros.net/Harris-Bushings_c_410.html

These bushings may work:
http://stengelbros.3dcartstores.com/HB-389-Rubber-Harris-Split-Bushing-1-OD-
12-ID-1-716-OL-1-IL-_p_6778.html
(click to order online)

Here are the dimensions that you are looking for:

1-1/64 OD x 1/2 ID x 1-7/16 LG, flanged, 2 per eye

Thank you,

Jack Stengel
Stengel Bros. Inc.
www.stengelbros.com
ACCEPT ALL MAJOR CREDIT CARDS
1105 Sumner Ave.
Whitehall, PA 18052
Business Hours: 7:30am to 5:30pm M-F
Toll-Free 1-888-433-3149
Fax 610-433-1793
jack@stengelbros.com

SixGun

Aha .... ATS has the rubber bushings at a reasonable price but I'm still keeping an eye open for poly bushings.  I emailed energy suspension with the dimensions needed and see what happens.

Here's the link for the frame bushings from ATS:

http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/catalog/Dodge_Rubber_Encased_Leaf_Spring_Bushings-189-1.html

crazzywolfie

have you possibly asked Jungle Jim? he might know where to find what you are looking for.

also if you are looking for a fun little torch harbor freight seems to have a butane torch on sale. i bought one a couple weeks ago that looks the same and it can get small pieces of metal glowing red. you need to buy  butane separately but that is not too expensive. i know i only spent about $13 for my torch and can of butane.
http://www.harborfreight.com/micro-torch-42099.html

SixGun

Jim's setup is considerably more expensive than a simple bushing replacement.  He has re-engineered the whole front leaf/ rear shackle assembly and it replaces the factory setup.  The bushings he uses are not replacement pieces.  From my conversation with him, he feels that the factory setup is a well engineered setup for the front but of course, his is considerably more HD.  In the interest of simplicity and budget, I am choosing to replace the factory shackles and all rubber bushings for poly.  The front leafs are new with 4" of  lift.  New axle hardware and newer model D44 with the better bearing design and 5x5.5 bolt pattern.  I also went with the nitro shocks as well.  Since I'm going with 33's, I feel that the 4" lift will be sufficient.  Trying to only replace what I have to and if I do replace then use better quality parts.  Learning alot as I go though.   :read2:

ProjectM880

Sounds like your making progress. Glad to hear it.

Keep going and dont for get to post lots of pictures of progress  :thumbsup:

And if you need any random parts let me know