News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1976 Big Block RC build

Started by SixGun, July 27, 2012, 10:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

that is a pretty clean truck. i wish i could find something that nice here for $300.

now that you ordered from rock auto you will no longer have to search for the discount codes. they will email them to you instead. SEAL also found the cheapest place to find borgeson steering shaft. after using the DIESEL10 discount code it comes to $169.29 and apparently they got free ups ground shipping on orders over $50.
http://www.xtremediesel.com/borgesondodgeramsteeringshaft000940.aspx

SixGun

Good to see over here Wolfie.  ;D
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

thanks for the invite. i just noticed it yesterday.

SixGun

Well I'm still waiting for the FSM to arrive.  Coming in USPS so it's slow and has arrive date up to Aug. 18th.  I have been taking the wiring harness out of the engine bay and tossing and tagging as I go.  Lots of junk from CB, aftermarket horn/ speaker?, 2 ecu's, 2 voltage regulars, AC, aftermarket gauges and who knows what else.  Lots of wires to trace with wiring diagram as a guide.   I want to tackle the wiring harness before putting the motor in which I have not gone to pick up yet. 

I had a weekend off a few weeks back and planned to pick up parts 2 hours away in Corpus but when going to get an alignment done on the 91 D150 it had a bad centerlink.  Parts came in already and when I was yanking off my steering I discovered to my stupidity that I only ordered 2 tie rods and not 4 for a 2WD system.  Looking at part numbers on Moog site, I determined that I needed the outer tie rods and ordered from RockAuto, my new buddy.  $4.50 a piece and around town the cheapest house brand was $15 a pc.  Even with paying shipping again, it was like buy one get one free.  LOL 

While I was pulling wires, I saw some sheetmetal patchwork on the the heater / ac box on the engine side.  I unscrewed it and found a nice big hole that was covered up.  Nice patchwork but left all the broken pieces inside.   :o  Heater core looks in real good shape but a new box may need to be found.

Pulled the gauge cluster and plan to "wash" out all the powdery insulation on the inside.  Noticed that some duct work was NOT even connected and found pieces in the pile behind the back seat.  Gonna be fun....

crazzywolfie

before you finish rewiring the thing you may want to find a power distribution center to upgrade your electrical. then you could put things like your headlights and starter on relays and hide them instead of having a ton of them bolted to the fender. plus you can also use the newer style fusible link fuses instead of the fusible link wire.

workgoats

I don't know if and when the heaters changed but I have one out of a 88 pickup (I think).  It appears to be the same as my 82 RC.  It will probably be about 3 weeks before I head your way.  It looks like I will be going to Ryan's Saturday.

SixGun

Thanks Ron.  I talked to Ryan also but he wasn't sure when you were coming up.  Hope you two got together on that.  Soooo, are you bringing a heater box with you on the way to CC?  LOL  If you are, muchos gracias senior.   I have a feeling that someone changed out the heater core through this hole since the heater core looks in really good shape.  After I cleaned the box out, I realized it would have made a good pic.  It's crazy what some people will do and to leave the broken pieces inside to boot.  I bet the heater wasn't working because of the giant bird's nest in the cowl.  That sucker was full of hard packed leaves.  Not to mention that the duct work was all taken out and disconnected inside the truck.

The FSM came in today.  The inside looks pristine. Best $15 I ever spent but the damn shipping through USPS was $12.  That's BS, the book rate would have been cheaper I believe.  The seller says that ebay requires it.  Still a good deal though at $27 all together.

workgoats

Unless something really goes wrong, I will be going to Ryan's Saturday.  Then heading by your house and to CC two weeks after that.  (Among other things, these are the days after payday...)

SixGun

8)  Going on vacation August 29th (Wed) through September 4th (Tue) for Labor Day weekend.  Shooting for picking up the motor / trans on Aug 5/6th (Wed / Thu)  since that's the wifey's regular days off.  Should be back in plenty of time for Saturday if it is that weekend.

Ryan, PM sent.

workgoats

Quote from: SixGun on August 15, 2012, 12:34:43 AM
8)  Going on vacation August 29th (Wed) through September 4th (Tue) for Labor Day weekend.  Shooting for picking up the motor / trans on Aug 5/6th (Wed / Thu)  since that's the wifey's regular days off.  Should be back in plenty of time for Saturday if it is that weekend.

Ryan, PM sent.

I'm not sure if that was the weekend I was thinking about but I can make it be that weekend.

SixGun

rjtx667

I am just looking forward to getting a bit more room in my garage... granted the axles are in the back yard, but it will clean that up too.

Now I have to sell the spare tire set.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Glad we could help each other out.  8)

mttaff

Nice rig, that sucker is clean for that price!
1978 Crewcab,      6" lift and 35's
1976 Ramcharger, 4" lift and 35's
2010 Quadcab,      2.8" lift and 35's

SixGun

Thanks for the kind words.  Yeah, it's in pretty good shape but there's rust in a few places.  The top is real rusty though.  Ryan is selling me his axles to convert to 5x5.5 and is also selling me his seats & console.  Ron is making the delivery hopefully this coming weekend.  Skid plates are cleaned and painted.  Fuel tank is cleaned, fabbed a new vent grommet, cleaned and painted the tank straps.  Starting to gather up new rubber lines since all the lines were cut.  Since I'm on the subject, I need a rubber vent line to the filler neck from the tank.  It has a 1/2" ID and the parts store didn't have a fuel line in that size.  Anyone know if  it is a fuel line or an emissions hose?