News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Magnum CAI

Started by The War Wagon, October 12, 2013, 01:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fal308

Another option instead of snorkeling would be to run a tube to inside the cab. Up under the dash should draw pretty dry air (if there's water up to your dash, you're usually in more trouble than not!)

The War Wagon

Quote from: fal308 on October 19, 2013, 06:42:40 AM
Another option instead of snorkeling would be to run a tube to inside the cab. Up under the dash should draw pretty dry air (if there's water up to your dash, you're usually in more trouble than not!)

HMMMM!  Hadn't considered that!  I'll have to look around and see if I can make that work!

I was actually toying with the idea, of putting something akin to a Hemi 'Cuda shaker hood on it - draw fresh air in THAT way - which, would look pretty UNIQUE on a RC!  8) 

So a hole in the core support to mount a box, duct a tube to the cab, or run a snorkel... decisions... decisions...  Saw a used Volant cAi for a 5.3 Silverado on my local Craigslist last night - maybe getting the parts cheap THAT way, and a new cone, might make this a cheaper endeavor, too.
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

SixGun

Quote from: fal308 on October 19, 2013, 06:42:40 AM

My concern with that setup would be the sucking noise inside the cab. 

Another option may be to use the cowl for fresh air.  You could run a duct or air pan that extends to the cowl.  Just make sure you have a good seal from the engine compartment to keep the warm air out.  Some older musclecars used a similar setup.

If I remember correctly, I have seen the shaker hood done before.  I'll have to do some searching.  Good idea and definately an attention getter.  When I was younger, I put a Trans Am shaker scoop on a 72 Camaro.  Got a lot of thumbs up and head turning.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

SixGun

I found that truck but it wasn't a shaker.  Cool none the less.  Check it out.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

pir2

Quote from: The War Wagon on October 13, 2013, 12:14:21 PM
I recall that thread.  I also know, that with my fenderwell skits GONE now, it'll aspirate a LOT of water, even from the street!  :o  It'll need a Banks or Volant type box to shield it from such un-pleasantries - perhaps even a snorkel!

I'd also avoid the DRY paper type, for an OILED filter, like I run with the AFE cAi in my Commander.  But I need HORSES, to move this beast - especially until I can go with a new cam & lifters;

Figuring out HOW to make it work, will be well worth another 8 - 15 horses, in my estimation
I don't have anything to add since I don't use CAI, but that is one sharp looking RC!!!

The War Wagon

Quote from: pir2 on October 20, 2013, 06:21:43 AM
I don't have anything to add since I don't use CAI, but that is one sharp looking RC!!!

;D

I had a friend who really wanted to do me a favor, so he did all the paint & bodywork on it for free:o  It's Dupont Corlar paint, which sets up like epoxy.  You could drive it through 100 miles of scrub pines, get out, and clean it up with a dry cloth - it DOESN'T scratch!  :confused2:

Doesn't work with standard car wax either.  If you want to make it shine, a rag with some WD40 on it will do the trick!  8)

Read and see more, of where it came from, and how it got to THIS point, here.  http://ramcharger.net/index.php/topic,105.0.html

rjtx667

you don't want one of those... you have enough room in the engine bay to do a oil filter open element(aka take away all the metal except on top and bottom).

It gets warmer air, but its up high and has a whole lot more CFM flow and thats what those are all about.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

The War Wagon

Quote from: rjtx667 on November 26, 2013, 12:12:19 AM
you don't want one of those... you have enough room in the engine bay to do a oil filter open element(aka take away all the metal except on top and bottom).

It gets warmer air, but its up high and has a whole lot more CFM flow and thats what those are all about.

Well since my air cleaner HAS the duct work, I'm still thinking on how to route that to a good COOL (air) location, and running a K&N filter - it's theoretical still, until I actully get it BACK from Dave at the shop!  ::)